Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Most off the wall thing the Guardia have asked for?

Most off the wall thing the Guardia have asked for?

Old Feb 5th 2010, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

Location: In a cardboard box soon if I dont find anywhere to rent!
sparkplug will become famous soon enoughsparkplug will become famous soon enough
Default Most off the wall thing the Guardia have asked for?

while moving some stuff today we were stopped and asked for our parents names?????? Thanks to Jo`s charm and ability to speak some Spanish to the Guardia who semed to take a shine to her we were let on our way after about 15min.
Old Feb 5th 2010, 6:31 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Most off the wall thing the Guardia have asked for?

Originally Posted by sparkplug View Post
while moving some stuff today we were stopped and asked for our parents names?????? Thanks to Jo`s charm and ability to speak some Spanish to the Guardia who semed to take a shine to her we were let on our way after about 15min.
heh heh ..... did she manage to find out why?
Old Feb 5th 2010, 6:35 pm
Banned

jojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy View Post
Apparently its important to the Spanish to get the family history of everyone???????????? I wasnt even driving the damn car, but had to show em my drivers licence AND tell them my parents names - my dads been dead 25yrs!! If memory serves, I had to put his name on the form when I got my NIE number - they wanted that too. Oddly enough, they didnt ask for either of our addresses???

Apparently they're having a purge on British cars here at the mo, and are "cracking down" heavily on illegal ones!!!

Jo xxxx
Old Feb 5th 2010, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

Location: In a cardboard box soon if I dont find anywhere to rent!
sparkplug will become famous soon enoughsparkplug will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy View Post
no just seems theres a big push at the moment for them to stop british vehicles and interrogate the drivers. everything was written down so who knows? Maybe trying to catch those working in the black?
Old Feb 5th 2010, 7:20 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sparkplug View Post
It is just the way things are done here, of course you surnames should tally with your parents surnames, fathers first then mothers.
Because there is no such thing as the whole family having the same surname.

We often throw them off kilter because my wife and I have the same surname, mine.
And when she has to give in her parents names, they are both clearly Spanish, it really stumps them.
Old Feb 6th 2010, 8:53 am
Banned

johncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to all

Its a question which is 'needed' when making any police report, denuncia etc.

In UK the police (used to not sure now) ask for same details of Cypriots. In that case it was because families tended to remain all their life in their village area. Thus many people had the same names.

Using the parent first name made them more 'individua.l'

I have never ask in Spain (15 years working with the police) why its done here, but I always though it would be for the same reason. I will ask next time I am in the ComisarĂ­a (police station).

With foreigners, sometime they just leave the 'space on the form' blank.
Old Feb 6th 2010, 11:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Lenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond repute

My dad once had something stolen out of the car and made a report to the Guardia. They came round to our house that same night and said that they had forgotten to ask my dad that vital question about his father's (first) name - his 'nombre'. It's bad enough that we foreigners have foreign-sounding names, but unfortunately my grandfather had eight of them.
The cops apparently threw up their hands after hearing this and one of them said they'd never find the stupid cassette player anyway.
Old Feb 6th 2010, 12:18 pm
Banned

johncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Lenox View Post
My dad once had something stolen out of the car and made a report to the Guardia. They came round to our house that same night and said that they had forgotten to ask my dad that vital question about his father's (first) name - his 'nombre'. It's bad enough that we foreigners have foreign-sounding names, but unfortunately my grandfather had eight of them.
The cops apparently threw up their hands after hearing this and one of them said they'd never find the stupid cassette player anyway.

As I said they don't always show the name.

This also happens when a person makes the report in English, French, German etc on 902 102 112 and then comes to the police station to sign the report.