Driving query

Old Jul 18th 2019, 10:08 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving query

Originally Posted by missile
I had assumed you were a UK resident. If you are resident in Spain you are not permitted to drive a foreign registered car in Spain. However, many do. You are unlikely to be caught, unless you have an accident :-(
Again, no one seems to be able to provide a source to verify that statement - can you?
Old Jul 18th 2019, 12:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
Yes, they are temporary imports, but the EU directive is about payment of taxes, which in Spain is just the local road tax IVTM. That is not an issue that the Guardia worry about. Nothing in that directive really helps to answer the specific question.

As I said earlier, I would probably not do it. If you get picked up it could be very messy!
On the contrary, it's precisely on point and is about tax but not just in the narrow local terms of IVTM.

The title itself states "on tax exemptions within the Community for certain means of transport temporarily imported into one Member State from another" and in the annex tabulates the relevant laws in the various member states.

For Spain that is Ley 41/1979,de 19 de noviembre.
Old Jul 18th 2019, 3:38 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

But if you read the Appendix which gives the specific taxes excepted (or not), the entry for Spain only mentions IVTM - nothing else.

Anyway, as I have said before they will make it up as they go along, so what the law says becomes is pretty irrelevant when you are pulled into a layby.
I dont think there is much point in labouring about whether its an EU directive or some obscure Spanish law. Unless someone comes up with some more information about the real situation, preferably from personal experience, this is about as far as this thread is going to go.

The most useful advice given so far is just don't risk it.

Last edited by Fred James; Jul 18th 2019 at 3:45 pm.