Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

driving to malaga

driving to malaga

Old Mar 2nd 2010, 11:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

jay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to behold
Smile driving to malaga

Driving to Malaga next week for a weeks holiday, doing the run as a practice run for our move with dogs.

Looking for suggestions on a place to stop around the Pessca area of France as I think that is about where we will get first day. Have allowed 2 days for the run so we are not in a rush and it will also give us a good idea of how the dogs are likely to cope.

Kind regards
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 11:49 pm
Account Closed

lunacrout is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: driving to malaga

We did it in 2004 - but we took 5 days so I guess it depends on your route!!!

We drove from Nottingham with a cat and a dog through the tunnel and spent the first night near Calais as it was dark and we were all stressed out after leaving home

We then drove the length of France & Spain staying at Ibis (or equivalent) hotels throughout - very pet friendly & no hassle

Took us probably 2 days longer than strictly necessary, as on one day we had a problem with the car, and the last day we spent the night in Granada as we didn't want to arrive at our house too late at night and face the inevitable 'Spanish Inquisition' from our neighbours - opting instead to arrive refreshed the following morning
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 6:55 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I did it from London with two dogs in the car. We did an early Dover/Calais crossing and stuck with the motorways all the way down. We had intended to stay overnight in southern France, but when we stopped in one of those lovely French lay-bys to walk the dogs, the Gendarmes subjected us to a lengthy interrogation, so we drove over the border into Spain before stopping for the night, just over the border.

It’s the first big hotel you come to, but we had to sneak the dogs in because they weren’t allowed officially.

We left early the next morning and got to Estepona at midnight. We should really have stopped for another night on the way down, it’s too far to drive on one day.
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 8:07 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

We've done it several times - with dog.

Two days is not plenty of time but it can obviously be done. From Southern England to Malaga takes between 24 and 28 hours driving (including short channel crossing) so with one overnight stop you are talking about at least 12 hours driving per day. We use toll roads all the way and drive at 140 kph.

We have done two stops, one stop and no stops (2 drivers).

In France Ibis (previously mentioned) and Campanile are good and reasonable and they are everywhere. I've heard good things about Formula 1.

In Spain, there is a big, dog friendly Hostal between Burgos and Madrid. Leave Burgos and after about half an hour you will see it on the other side of the road. There are others as well - I think they are mostly dog friendly.

My preferred way is two stops - one in central France and one in Spain, around Madrid.

I'd be interested to hear how you get on.
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 8:20 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jay01 View Post
Driving to Malaga next week for a weeks holiday, doing the run as a practice run for our move with dogs.

Looking for suggestions on a place to stop around the Pessca area of France as I think that is about where we will get first day. Have allowed 2 days for the run so we are not in a rush and it will also give us a good idea of how the dogs are likely to cope.

Kind regards
Hi, if you post on the France forum too, there are a lot of people here who could also give help (presume you mean the Pessac area?)
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

campolife has a brilliant futurecampolife has a brilliant futurecampolife has a brilliant futurecampolife has a brilliant futurecampolife has a brilliant futurecampolife has a brilliant future

I think it is too far for 2 days even with 2 drivers. Allowing for some delays and with dogs you may only want to do 500 miles a day.

Premiere class hotels welcome dogs and are around 30€ per night. B&B hotels are better and allow dogs at 4€ each but the rooms are about 38€.
There are loads of them in France
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

Location: In a cardboard box soon if I dont find anywhere to rent!
sparkplug will become famous soon enoughsparkplug will become famous soon enough

can do it in 2 days easily. last time did it at 50mph with trailer on and it meant had to stop and sleep where i could for safety. didnt use any toll roads either.
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 10:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

jay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for all the advice, this is a dog free run as we are going for a weeks holiday looking for property and it will also give us an idea of just how long we can expect it to take us.

There is 2 of us driving, although I do not fancy my chances (never driven abroad before so good chance of being over taken by snail)

I would expect that with the dog we can add an extra day at least, but hay who's in a hurry .

Will let you know how we got on.

Jayne
Old Mar 13th 2010, 5:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Finally arrived in the Malaga area, you have no idea how far things really are till you try it (map makes it look so easy ). We made it, but do think that with the dogs would probably be better adding at least one extra day. Had a good trip down and saw no rain at all, in fact arrived on the costa del sol to lovely sun shine, just think that the tails of rain was a rouse to keep us in the UK, lol.

Thanks for all the advice, my first road trip, but can see why americans do it.