Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Driving License Issue

Driving License Issue

Old Jul 18th 2007, 7:32 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving License Issue

Originally Posted by David
There's a light version of my info at the Telecinco website:

http://www.informativos.telecinco.es...o/dn_22698.htm
I know a painter with a legit business in Spain, signwritten van in both languages etc, stopped by Guardia and given a 2000 €`s ticket for not having a licence.
He had a UK one, the guy who works for him was born in Spain and knows some Guardia in Alhaurin, he checked with them and they said a UK licence is valid until expiry date anywhere in Europe even with the wrong address on it as long as you comply with any conditions that the host member state may stipulate, re health checks.
They faxed this though to the other Guardia station and they recinded the ticket.
If you don`t believe it I will give you his number and you can phone him.

Direct gov site info HERE

And a link to the directive, refer to section two HERE
Old Jul 18th 2007, 7:37 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
I love these threads.
Every bloody week this pops up.... it says its ok in the directive from 21st March 2006, and DVLA say its ok even with the wrong address on it, as long as its still valid by date.
Old Jul 18th 2007, 7:45 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Every bloody week this pops up.... it says its ok in the directive from 21st March 2006, and DVLA say its ok even with the wrong address on it, as long as its still valid by date.
Great init!?

I have had a letter from Norwich Union about our insurance in Spain, I may post it one day and let everyone fight it out!

I have posted a 3rd part of the plant thing boss.
Old Jul 18th 2007, 8:01 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Great init!?

I have had a letter from Norwich Union about our insurance in Spain, I may post it one day and let everyone fight it out!

I have posted a 3rd part of the plant thing boss.
Yeah I saw that I will stick it you know where, I`ve still gotta spread it about, so owe you two.
Old Jul 18th 2007, 8:03 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Yeah I saw that I will stick it you know where, I`ve still gotta spread it about, so owe you two.
Not a problem boss, a couple more will be up there over the next couple of days.
Old Jul 18th 2007, 8:26 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

For God's sake - how many times do we need to go round this one!

A UK licence is valid in Spain for residents or non-residents.

Residents using UK licences have to conform to the local rules about validity and medical certificates.

It is no longer a requirement for residents to exchange or endorse their licence.

Spanish licences no longer have your address on them - you can notify a change of address at your local town hall so that the records are correct and you can recieve fines notices at your correct address.

The DVLA could not care less what address you have on your UK licence so long as it is correct when you use it in the UK.

The Spanish legal code is being changed so that driving without a valid licence is punishable by up to 6 months in prison.

The EU harmonisation of driving licences will not happen until 2012 - or later bearing in mind the vagaries of licences across the EU.

The only common sense approach to the "problem" is to take the - still valid - option to exchange your UK licence for a Spanish licence.

Why are so many people not prepared to take this simple option?
Old Jul 18th 2007, 8:48 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

And if you change and go back to the UK you can use your Spanish licence for up to a year, and apply for a duplicate of your old UK one.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

tallbob is just really nicetallbob is just really nicetallbob is just really nicetallbob is just really nicetallbob is just really nicetallbob is just really nicetallbob is just really nicetallbob is just really nicetallbob is just really nice

We attended an open meeting with a lawyer from Granada and part of the discussion was English photo card driving licences

The law has been changed recently so Spain complies with EU legislation, the difficulty comes in with Spanish government deciding that they will comply with the EU but they have not decided how to implement it

Wether you are resident or not you CAN drive in Spain on them but not the old non photo ones

If you are resident here then Spain knows there is no connection with your English licence address and your actual Spanish address, in that case they advise you to register your licence details at your nearest Trafico, if you do that you will be treated as though you have a Spanish licence and you will get a letter some time in the future asking you to attend for your eyes to be tested and this is done on a regular basis

Hope this helps, I can add the link to the lawyer if anyone want's it
Old Jul 19th 2007, 12:42 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Fred James;5074464]For God's sake - how many times do we need to go round this one!

A UK licence is valid in Spain for residents or non-residents.

Residents using UK licences have to conform to the local rules about validity and medical certificates.

It is no longer a requirement for residents to exchange or endorse their licence.

Spanish licences no longer have your address on them - you can notify a change of address at your local town hall so that the records are correct and you can recieve fines notices at your correct address.

The DVLA could not care less what address you have on your UK licence so long as it is correct when you use it in the UK.

The Spanish legal code is being changed so that driving without a valid licence is punishable by up to 6 months in prison.

The EU harmonisation of driving licences will not happen until 2012 - or later bearing in mind the vagaries of licences across the EU.

The only common sense approach to the "problem" is to take the - still valid - option to exchange your UK licence for a Spanish licence.

Why are so many people not prepared to take this simple option?[/QUOTE]

Because I am worried that I will not be able get my British licence back when I return to the UK.

And you do not HAve to have a Spanish licence so long as you have a UK photocard one, a friend of mine was told by trafico that his was perfectly legal, even with the address on of a house in the UK that he has sold to someone else.

My licence does at least have the address of a UK property which belongs to me.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 12:47 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scampicat
[
Because I am worried that I will not be able get my British licence back when I return to the UK.

And you do not HAve to have a Spanish licence so long as you have a UK photocard one, a friend of mine was told by trafico that his was perfectly legal, even with the address on of a house in the UK that he has sold to someone else.

My licence does at least have the address of a UK property which belongs to me.
Why are you worried? You just exchange your Spanish licence for a UK one.

I did say that you did not HAVE to have a Spanish licence - just that it made sense.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 12:50 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by scampicat

As I said in my previous post.

And if you change and go back to the UK you can use your Spanish licence for up to a year, and apply for a duplicate of your old UK one.

Old Jul 19th 2007, 12:52 pm
Straw Man.

I am getting dizzy already!
Old Jul 19th 2007, 12:53 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by tallbob
We attended an open meeting with a lawyer from Granada and part of the discussion was English photo card driving licences

The law has been changed recently so Spain complies with EU legislation, the difficulty comes in with Spanish government deciding that they will comply with the EU but they have not decided how to implement it

Wether you are resident or not you CAN drive in Spain on them but not the old non photo ones

If you are resident here then Spain knows there is no connection with your English licence address and your actual Spanish address, in that case they advise you to register your licence details at your nearest Trafico, if you do that you will be treated as though you have a Spanish licence and you will get a letter some time in the future asking you to attend for your eyes to be tested and this is done on a regular basis

Hope this helps, I can add the link to the lawyer if anyone want's it
This is no longer required by law, but will do no harm although it is just as easy to change to Spanish.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 1:00 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr

Thanks, and to Fred James. It took me so long to get my UK licence I am a bit loath to give it up!

My licence is not legal in Spain at the moment so I don't drive in Europe (only in the UK). It is the old green paper one which is only legal in the UK. I did ask the DVLA before I came out and was told it was legal, but looking back I think the person misunderstood what I was asking.

Problem is, the DVLA will not issue me with a photocard one whilst I live in Spain.

Anyway, we're going to the UK for a month tomorrow, to the family home where we used to live and our son still does. I'm going to apply for a photocard licence from this address, saying I've lost my other one and hope they didn't log my last phone call when they told me I couldn't have one whilst abroad and see if I can get a photocard one that way.

If they won't, let me have one I'll trade it in for a Spanish one when I come back.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

Jorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jdr

You can use a spanish or french license in UK with no time restriction at all. You do not have to have your UK address on it. If stopped for an offence which will incur penalty points you will have to apply to DVLA for a "Counterpart driving license" This is merely a form which has your UK address on and(of course)spaces for the points.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.