Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Driving License Issue

Driving License Issue

Old Jul 19th 2007, 1:50 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving License Issue

Originally Posted by Jorgi
You can use a spanish or french license in UK with no time restriction at all. You do not have to have your UK address on it. If stopped for an offence which will incur penalty points you will have to apply to DVLA for a "Counterpart driving license" This is merely a form which has your UK address on and(of course)spaces for the points.
Returning to GB section HERE
Old Jul 19th 2007, 2:05 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

So if I drove my car over, with the express intention of driving it back.................how long would I be able to keep the car in Spain?

EH?
Old Jul 19th 2007, 2:16 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
So if I drove my car over, with the express intention of driving it back.................how long would I be able to keep the car in Spain?

EH?
Some people say six months but......
Three months and thirty days, because you will become resident at three months and then have thirty days to transfer it to Spanish plates.
But alegedly if the Guardia think you have moved to Spain to live permanently they can take the 30 days from arrival in Spain.

But no doubt you will also be told different as always. LOL
Old Jul 19th 2007, 2:33 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Under EU law you have 6 months to reregister it. The 30 days only applies if you wish to avoid the reregistration "tax".

If you visit Spain regularly but never for more than 90 days, the car can stay in Spain for as long as it remains legal - effectively until the MOT runs out.

Non EU cars are subject to "sealing" after 6 months but this no longer applies to EU cars.

EU cars can only be on the road for 6 months in a calendar year so they need to be kept off the road for the other 6 months but you could use it for 12 months from July 1 to June 30 next year!

How anyone could ever check this I cannot imagine which is proably why so many people get away with it until they become resident.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 3:02 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by Fred James
Under EU law you have 6 months to reregister it. The 30 days only applies if you wish to avoid the reregistration "tax".

If you visit Spain regularly but never for more than 90 days, the car can stay in Spain for as long as it remains legal - effectively until the MOT runs out.

Non EU cars are subject to "sealing" after 6 months but this no longer applies to EU cars.

EU cars can only be on the road for 6 months in a calendar year so they need to be kept off the road for the other 6 months but you could use it for 12 months from July 1 to June 30 next year!

How anyone could ever check this I cannot imagine which is proably why so many people get away with it until they become resident.
Dellars book says 30 days after applying for residence.
Spain lawyers says "You may also matriculate your foreign car on Spanish plates, you shall do it within 2 months from the time of entry."

Every place I look is different info. doh
Old Jul 19th 2007, 3:44 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Dellars book says 30 days after applying for residence.
Spain lawyers says "You may also matriculate your foreign car on Spanish plates, you shall do it within 2 months from the time of entry."

Every place I look is different info. doh
Dellers book is full of inaccuracies.

I got the 6 month rule in an email I got from the EU lawyers helpline when I asked that specific question 2 months ago.

They said:- "Since you are moving to Spain from the UK, you must register your vehicle in Spain as soon as possible after arrival and, at any rate, within six months of moving."
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 4:59 pm
Mortgage Wizard

Gill Stevens is an unknown quantity at this point

I know this has been covered many times on this and other forums, but this is slightly different.

My husband has a Class D1 licence in the UK which allows him to drive 49 seater coaches. He has obviously spent a lot of money taking lessons to get this licence originally and if he hands in his UK licence for a spanish one he may lose the Class D1.

What do we do in those circumstances? Does anyone know if there is such a Class in Spain and whether he would have this on any spanish licence issued. He may wish to work in Spain driving at some point.

We dont even know who we should contact in Spain to ask the question??

We know if we came back to the UK that he could get his UK licence re-issued but we are not planning on coming back.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 5:41 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by Gill Stevens
I know this has been covered many times on this and other forums, but this is slightly different.

My husband has a Class D1 licence in the UK which allows him to drive 49 seater coaches. He has obviously spent a lot of money taking lessons to get this licence originally and if he hands in his UK licence for a spanish one he may lose the Class D1.

What do we do in those circumstances? Does anyone know if there is such a Class in Spain and whether he would have this on any spanish licence issued. He may wish to work in Spain driving at some point.

We dont even know who we should contact in Spain to ask the question??

We know if we came back to the UK that he could get his UK licence re-issued but we are not planning on coming back.
Try the link to the British Embassy in Madrid, in the free beer thread at the top of threads page, and email them about it.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 6:49 pm

The licencing vehicle categories have been harmonised across the EU so when you exchange your UK licence you will retain your full set of vehicle categories.

Where there is a slight difference is that you have to abide by local rules for renewal of licences and the corresponding medical check.

For Group 2 licences which include D and D1 you have to renew (and have a medical) every 5 years up to age 45, every 3 years up to 60 and every 2 years thereafter.

This does present a problem for some people who have the entitlement to drive some Group 2 vehicles on their normal car licence such as small commercial vehicles or minibuses). If you exchange your licence and want to retain these categories you have to conform to the more stringent rules or lose the entitlemment (until you return to the UK when it will be reinstated).
Old Jul 24th 2007, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

mrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant future

As I understand it, you have to apply for Residencia if you are here in Spain longer than 90 days. (The new paper thing)

Well lets say you live in Spain 100 days, so you get your Residencia paper thing. You then go back to the UK and live the other 265 days.

On day 86 of your days in Spain, the Guardia Civil stops you and asks for your papers. You show them everything including your new EC paper Residencia.

Then they fine you for not having a Spanish license do they?
Old Jul 24th 2007, 3:21 pm

Since it is no longer obligatory to have a Spanish licence they cannot fine you.

That said it is not unknow for them to do so but the fine will always be cancelled if you dispute it.
Old Aug 20th 2007, 10:26 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

OK, I did not apply for a photocard licence when I was in the UK as I would have had to declared on the form that I was a British resident and I drew the line at telling downright lies.

So I will have to exchange my green paper licence for a Spanish one.

How does one do this?

Is it necessary to go to Trafico personally? Or can I hope against hope that I can do it by post?

Thanks!
Old Aug 21st 2007, 6:41 am

You cannot do it by post. You can do it yourself but although it is a simple process most trafico departments have a reputation for not being too user friendly!

You can download the forms from the Trafico website which will save some time. You will need the usual photos and obviously your UK licence.

It may take a month to get the new licence but they will give you a receipt which will be adequte to satisfy the police if you are stopped. You would not be able to use it to hire a car if you went to the UK so take any travel plans into account.

If you want to avoid the hassle a gestor will do it for you for about €30 plus the fee of €17.80. You are not required to take a medical.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 9:13 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
You cannot do it by post. You can do it yourself but although it is a simple process most trafico departments have a reputation for not being too user friendly!

You can download the forms from the Trafico website which will save some time. You will need the usual photos and obviously your UK licence.

It may take a month to get the new licence but they will give you a receipt which will be adequte to satisfy the police if you are stopped. You would not be able to use it to hire a car if you went to the UK so take any travel plans into account.

If you want to avoid the hassle a gestor will do it for you for about €30 plus the fee of €17.80. You are not required to take a medical.
Thanks. Do you have happen to have a link for the appropriate page on the trafico website?
Old Aug 21st 2007, 9:29 am
MnM
luna~sea..its a lifestyle

MnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scampicat
Thanks. Do you have happen to have a link for the appropriate page on the trafico website?
Hi scampicat,

I think this is the webpage you are looking for:

http://www.dgt.es/tramites/canjes/unioneuropea.htm

And here in pdf format:

http://www.dgt.es/tramites/conductor..._Y_NORUEGA.pdf

Last edited by MnM; Aug 21st 2007 at 9:32 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.