Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

driving licence and residencia part 2

driving licence and residencia part 2

Old Mar 6th 2010, 7:05 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute
Default driving licence and residencia part 2

As a follow up to a point maide on here, I went back and made some queries at the office that issues the residencia.

I was puzzled, because I remembered that the woman who issued it had said very clearly that I needed to renew it after 5 years, but someone on here had said that the residencia didn't need renewing.

Now this bears a caveat, since I can only speak for what the office in Cadiz said, and this may or may not apply to all other parts of Spain. However it does clear up the confusion. The residencia you are issued with the first time is only for 5 years, and needs to be renewed at the end of that time. You are then issued with a residencia that is permanent and does not need to be renewed.

As I think I said the last time, if you don't want the hassle of carrying it, (because you have to have it with you + your passport all the time) you can go to the nearest papeleria, get a full colour reduced copy and take that back to the police station that issued the residencia to get that stamped. Get them to stamp ON the reduced doco at the bottom, not on the blank paper under it. You then take that back to the papeleria, they will fold it in half and plasticise it. You then have a protected document that does not need to be folded and unfolded, and it will sit inside your passport quite comfortably.

Going back to the medical centre, we checked with them about whether or not we needed to change a valid UK licence. They seemed to think that you did, but when I said that traffico said that we didn't, they said that what traffico says, goes.

This very confusion seems to point out that at least if you have changed it, you won't get some civi who isn't up to speed jumping on you if you flash a UK licence.
Old Mar 7th 2010, 6:32 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: driving licence and residencia part 2

Originally Posted by bil

Now this bears a caveat, since I can only speak for what the office in Cadiz said, and this may or may not apply to all other parts of Spain. However it does clear up the confusion. The residencia you are issued with the first time is only for 5 years, and needs to be renewed at the end of that time. You are then issued with a residencia that is permanent and does not need to be renewed.
On the application form there is one box for the basic certificate and another box for the permanent certificate.

If you are replacing an existing residency card then you need to make sure that you have ticked the right box.

The certificate is identical apart from including the words "con caracter permanente".