Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

driving licence question

driving licence question

Old Dec 30th 2005, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

mka2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default driving licence question

i have searched around for info already but still unsure aof the answer.

i have standard full UK photo licence and i know that a normal spainish licence allows you to ride up to a 125cc bike on it.

the question i can't find a definative answer to is - if i surrender my current uk licence for a spainish one, will this new spanish one inherit local laws (which will allow me to ride a bike) or just whats on my old licence meaning i would still need a bike test of some sort.

cheers
Matt
Old Dec 31st 2005, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

countryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: driving licence question

Originally Posted by mka2

i have standard full UK photo licence and i know that a normal spainish licence allows you to ride up to a 125cc bike on it.

the question i can't find a definative answer to is - if i surrender my current uk licence for a spainish one, will this new spanish one inherit local laws (which will allow me to ride a bike) or just whats on my old licence meaning i would still need a bike test of some sort.

cheers
Matt
May I suggest a little something that is a bit naughty? Dont tell anyone I told you this!

First of all write to DLVC Swansea and claim to have lost your photo card licence, get a replacement and hang onto your original licence, then submit your licence to the Spanish police to get a Spanish licence retaining your UK issued one.

Then you will have both without taking a test, you will then see if your motorcycle driving permit is included on the Spanish one.
Old Dec 31st 2005, 12:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Very naughty! But I like it! Wish I had thought of it.....
Old Jan 1st 2006, 9:58 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by countryboy
May I suggest a little something that is a bit naughty? Dont tell anyone I told you this!

First of all write to DLVC Swansea and claim to have lost your photo card licence, get a replacement and hang onto your original licence, then submit your licence to the Spanish police to get a Spanish licence retaining your UK issued one.

Then you will have both without taking a test, you will then see if your motorcycle driving permit is included on the Spanish one.
I have a paper one " not liked by the Spanish police " and a plastic one, on the paper one I am allowed to drive a motorcycle, but on the plastic one it is not included.
There was a program on the tele about how they had taken the motocycle off the new licences. You have to prove to DVLC that you have passed the test.
Some guy was on there that had rode a bike for years and found out he was not allowed to now after renewing his licence.
Maybe the Spanish licence will cover it though.

PS. you are allowed to drive on the euro licence now without registering it at the police station anyhow, so you dont really need to change it to Spanish.
They have finally admitted that it is a european licence

Last edited by jdr; Jan 1st 2006 at 10:02 pm.
Old Jan 1st 2006, 11:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute

First of all write to DLVC Swansea and claim to have lost your photo card licence, get a replacement and hang onto your original licence,
The fraudulent request for a new licence, if discovered WILL get you a ban without fail, as it's classed as a Government legal document.
It could also land you up in court.

regards
BW
Old Jan 2nd 2006, 7:01 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by big wheels
The fraudulent request for a new licence, if discovered WILL get you a ban without fail, as it's classed as a Government legal document.
It could also land you up in court.

regards
BW
Many people, like myself, misplace their licence and apply for a new one and low and behold the old one turns up I think if you are stopped with no licence in England they give you time to produce it at the local police station, but here you can lose your car till you produce it, Grua and parking charges
Old Jan 2nd 2006, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

countryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by jdr
I have a paper one " not liked by the Spanish police " and a plastic one, on the paper one I am allowed to drive a motorcycle, but on the plastic one it is not included.
There was a program on the tele about how they had taken the motocycle off the new licences. You have to prove to DVLC that you have passed the test.
Some guy was on there that had rode a bike for years and found out he was not allowed to now after renewing his licence.
Maybe the Spanish licence will cover it though.

PS. you are allowed to drive on the euro licence now without registering it at the police station anyhow, so you dont really need to change it to Spanish.
They have finally admitted that it is a european licence

I do believe that you have to register your licence with the Spanish Police as it has your UK address on it, If you are living here full time then you have to have a Spanish driving licence it is the same as the UK photocard one only it has your spanish address on it.

Spain fell into line with the EU driving regs in October 2004 and started issuing the Photocard in the November of 2004, the exchange of one licence for another is now like for like, so if you have motorcycles on your UK licence you will get them on your spanish one.

The exchange of Licences is the same procedure as in the UK by sending your UK issued licence to the Spanish department you will be issued with your Spanish one within three weeks, (maybe). I am in the process of finding out the finer details at this point in time as I have been asked by several people this question. I will post when I have more details.

David SR.
Old Jan 2nd 2006, 5:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Hi countryboy & jdr,

First when jdr refers to a euro licence does she mean the new photocard type issued by Swansea to all new applicants and renewals for change of address etc.?

Second the dreaded camera's have nicked me and it stays on my licence for another two years (4-2 still to run). Will this appear on a Spanish licence if I change now before it has expired and I can have it deleted?

To do this I will have to return my old licence to Swansea and pay a full fee for a new one! So is it worth the wait?

Regards,

John.

I do believe that you have to register your licence with the Spanish Police as it has your UK address on it, If you are living here full time then you have to have a Spanish driving licence it is the same as the UK photocard one only it has your spanish address on it.

Spain fell into line with the EU driving regs in October 2004 and started issuing the Photocard in the November of 2004, the exchange of one licence for another is now like for like, so if you have motorcycles on your UK licence you will get them on your spanish one.

The exchange of Licences is the same procedure as in the UK by sending your UK issued licence to the Spanish department you will be issued with your Spanish one within three weeks, (maybe). I am in the process of finding out the finer details at this point in time as I have been asked by several people this question. I will post when I have more details.

David SR.
Old Jan 2nd 2006, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by John & Kath
Hi countryboy & jdr,

First when jdr refers to a euro licence does she mean the new photocard type issued by Swansea to all new applicants and renewals for change of address etc.?

Second the dreaded camera's have nicked me and it stays on my licence for another two years (4-2 still to run). Will this appear on a Spanish licence if I change now before it has expired and I can have it deleted?

To do this I will have to return my old licence to Swansea and pay a full fee for a new one! So is it worth the wait?

Regards,

John.
Hello John,
The Photocard is the Euro licence which is used by all the EU countries (although the newer entrants in the EU have yet to introduce them into their constitution). As for your question for SP offence I am not too sure how you stand, I would assume that the offence would still stand and would appear on your Spanish licence, but as you may know the Spanish are now moving over to the Points system on licences. which came into force on Jan 1st 2006.

As far as I know Points will be deducted from your tally on each offence that is commited by you and considered as a minor offence, ie: Speeding, running a red light, etc as a minor offence, I am still looking into this points system and will give you more information as I get it.

I do hope I have not clouded the matter for you but as we all know here in Spain things change as often as I change my socks, Good Luck

David SR.
Old Jan 2nd 2006, 8:13 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by John & Kath
Hi countryboy & jdr,

Regards,

John.
jdr is a John yes I did mean a plastic euro licence.
As countryboy says rules change every day in Spain and even the police aren`t sure what is happening.
There have been lots of threads on this subject and I am sure I read that the registration had been waived, as we are driving in europe with a european licence, maybe countryboy will find out
I dont think the latest address is required as most rellevent info is on the insurance docs and car papers.
PS what happend to the stickies at the top of the forum that was for things like this ?
Old Jan 26th 2006, 10:35 am
Just Joined

sandie1614 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mka2

cheers
Matt
hi,
when you hand your uk licience in whatever you could drive on that will be the same on your spanish licence, but there may be a time limit. example on your uk licence you can drive a 7.5 ton truck here you can but after so many years you then have to have a medical, to have it re put on the licence, not a big problem costs about 20€ for the medical.
you have to hand your green paper bit in as well as the plastic card.
hope this helps.
sandie
Old Jan 26th 2006, 10:40 am
Just Joined

sandie1614 is an unknown quantity at this point

thats not a good idea as the spanish officials send the uk licence you gave them to the dvlc in swansea, so then it will show up you have 2.
sandie
Old Jan 26th 2006, 7:37 pm
Just Joined

tomdenancy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sandie1614
thats not a good idea as the spanish officials send the uk licence you gave them to the dvlc in swansea, so then it will show up you have 2.
sandie
So you send DVLA the DUPLICATE license, and keep the original.