Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Driving licence exchange, latest news....

Driving licence exchange, latest news....

Old Feb 23rd 2022, 3:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

SanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving licence exchange, latest news....

Originally Posted by Stingychips
yea it is what it is. I’m prepared to do my Spanish test if needs be.
I wouldn't worry too much. You need to be in Spain and be a Spanish resident to apply for it.

My son turns 18 this week so he'll be going through the whole process. I'll update the thread as to how hard or easy it, complete with Kevin the Teenager huffing, puffing and terminology if you're really unlucky.
Old Feb 23rd 2022, 3:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanNico
I wouldn't worry too much. You need to be in Spain and be a Spanish resident to apply for it.

My son turns 18 this week so he'll be going through the whole process. I'll update the thread as to how hard or easy it, complete with Kevin the Teenager huffing, puffing and terminology if you're really unlucky.
does he speak Spanish?
Old Feb 23rd 2022, 3:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ronnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond repute

It makes perfect sense that someone who is a resident in a country and drives no doubt frequently should have a decent level of the language of that country. How would you like it if someone bumped into your car in UK and just started speaking Chinese and wasnt able to do any of the process needed for insurance companies. Or worse they caused a serious accident and weren't able to act to communicate to emergency services. What if there is a dispute as to culpability and they simply shrugged their shoulders and walked away. If you want to make Spain your home then learn the language if not dont complain about how the rules work.
Old Feb 23rd 2022, 5:08 pm
Banned

agree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ronnyone
It makes perfect sense that someone who is a resident in a country and drives no doubt frequently should have a decent level of the language of that country. How would you like it if someone bumped into your car in UK and just started speaking Chinese and wasnt able to do any of the process needed for insurance companies. Or worse they caused a serious accident and weren't able to act to communicate to emergency services. What if there is a dispute as to culpability and they simply shrugged their shoulders and walked away. If you want to make Spain your home then learn the language if not dont complain about how the rules work.
The driving licence is about you skill at driving and has noting to do with speaking Chinese! Madness!

How you manage communication with insurance companies or indeed at the scene of an accident are wholly a different matter!
Old Feb 24th 2022, 8:25 am
Forum Regular

Richielisa is an unknown quantity at this point

A bit of clarity needed for me - can an iIrsh driver simply exchange their licence for a Soanush one without a test? If so, that akes a mockery of it as the Irish drive on the same side as us Brits.
Old Feb 24th 2022, 8:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Joppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Richielisa
A bit of clarity needed for me - can an iIrsh driver simply exchange their licence for a Soanush one without a test? If so, that akes a mockery of it as the Irish drive on the same side as us Brits.
Ireland is in EU and UK isn't - that's the major difference. Cyprus and Malta both drive on the left and their licences can easily be exchanged for Spanish ones, as they are both EU member states. Exchange of EU licences is governed by EU law, while exchanging a third country licence into Spanish one requires a special legislation, which Spain hasn't yet enacted for UK licences.
Old Feb 24th 2022, 9:07 am
BE Enthusiast

SanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stingychips
does he speak Spanish?
Not fluently, he got a 9 (A*) in his Spanish GCSE. I'm not sure what that equates to in fluency levels.
Old Feb 24th 2022, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

Lefty2021 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SanNico
Not fluently, he got a 9 (A*) in his Spanish GCSE. I'm not sure what that equates to in fluency levels.
Ive no idea what fluency level would be required to take a driving test or what level of competence GCSE level Spanish at school consists of, from my own experience I have only been taking Spanish lessons for 11 months and at basic A1 level we have already covered a lot of things which would probably be asked on the test such as understanding personal questions and giving answers such as name, address, phone number and understanding directions which would be asked on a test, I bet somewhere on the internet will be examples of Spanish spoken driving tests.

Has anyone taken the test yet and what fluency level did they have ?
Old Feb 24th 2022, 6:47 pm
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Richielisa
Nationality of the driver doesn't matter, it's which country that issues the licence. An Irish driver with a British licence would be just as screwed.
Old Feb 24th 2022, 7:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DLC
Nationality of the driver doesn't matter, it's which country that issues the licence. An Irish driver with a British licence would be just as screwed.
Yes, the same situation will arise if an Irish national has a Chinese or Russian licence.
Old Feb 24th 2022, 8:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ronnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lefty2021
Ive no idea what fluency level would be required to take a driving test or what level of competence GCSE level Spanish at school consists of, from my own experience I have only been taking Spanish lessons for 11 months and at basic A1 level we have already covered a lot of things which would probably be asked on the test such as understanding personal questions and giving answers such as name, address, phone number and understanding directions which would be asked on a test, I bet somewhere on the internet will be examples of Spanish spoken driving tests.

Has anyone taken the test yet and what fluency level did they have ?
My ex took the test and she speaks fluent Spanish so she even did the theory in Spanish. She said the test was stressful as other candidates are in the car with you and the examiner talks to you in Spanish as in a type of conversation as they want you to be relaxed. So I imagine you are perhaps going to need more than A1 probably B1 minimum. You have to talk about the engine and accident procedures too.
Old Feb 26th 2022, 3:37 pm
Forum Regular

airways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to all

My dumb brit mate took his test in January and is just about capable of ordering beer in Spanish.....
Old Feb 26th 2022, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

Lefty2021 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by airways
My dumb brit mate took his test in January and is just about capable of ordering beer in Spanish.....
how did he do and how did he find it?
Old Feb 26th 2022, 5:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

growinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Barriej
And neither the EU or the UK accept US licences for exchange (well maybe the odd state)....
7 States licenses out of 50 are recognized in France. Do not know which ones but it was not mine so I took the test in France, in French and paid alot more than I would have here..
Old Feb 26th 2022, 5:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by growinspain
7 States licenses out of 50 are recognized in France. Do not know which ones but it was not mine so I took the test in France, in French and paid alot more than I would have here..
They are Illinois, Kansas, Michigan, New Hampshire, South Carolina, and Kentucky so only six. If you exchange one of these state licenses into French one, it can still be used in Spain (for up to 6 months) but cannot be exchanged for Spanish one. The exchanged licence carries a code which identifies the original licence.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.