Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Driving Licence

Driving Licence

Old Mar 20th 2007, 6:59 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving Licence

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Yes, think it took about 3 weeks when I got main BEfORE coming out here as I had done my homework and found that the paper one was illegal here.
We thought we had done OUR homework!
Old Mar 20th 2007, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

sunlover27 is on a distinguished road

now I might have a problem, we are off to espana next week for 2 weeks and need our licenses, then when we come back we only have about 3-4 weeks before we make our move to espana, so hope your right and it is only 3 weeks as we could be in deep do do
Old Mar 20th 2007, 6:46 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunlover27
now I might have a problem, we are off to espana next week for 2 weeks and need our licenses, then when we come back we only have about 3-4 weeks before we make our move to espana, so hope your right and it is only 3 weeks as we could be in deep do do
Your licences are not valid in Spain, if you get stopped by a nasty Guardia policeman you could get a serious fine and your car impounded till you show the required paperwork, or he could just tell you to get a real licence, depending on what sort of day he has had.
If its a hire car they may not rent it to you.

Last edited by jdr; Mar 20th 2007 at 6:50 pm.
Old Mar 20th 2007, 7:21 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Your licences are not valid in Spain, if you get stopped by a nasty Guardia policeman you could get a serious fine and your car impounded till you show the required paperwork, or he could just tell you to get a real licence, depending on what sort of day he has had.

Whilst on this topic, would like to mention that a friend of mine was stopped by the Guardia and told that his licence was illegal (it is a photocard one) - he went to Trafico to change it or stamp it and they said he shouldn't have come to them as he didn't have to do anything with it.

He then asked three other Guardia about the status of his licence. One said he had to have a Spanish one, one said he had to have it stamped and the other one didn't know whether it was legal or not!

So, if the Guardia and Trafico don't know the rules, how are us poor foreigners supposed to? I think they make them up as they go along.

Same with importing the car. We have been told all sorts of conflicting information, even our Gestor wasn't sure of some of the rules. No-one seems to know what taxes we are supposed to be paying. It's difficult to be a law-abiding resident when no-one seems to know the rules.

It is the one thing about Spain that intensely riles me.

Last edited by scampicat; Mar 20th 2007 at 7:26 pm.
Old Mar 20th 2007, 7:25 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scampicat
Whilst on this topic, would like to mention that a friend of mine was stopped by the Guardia and told that his licence was illegal (it is a photocard one) - he went to Trafico to change it or stamp it and they said he shouldn't have come to them as he didn't have to do anything with it.

He then asked three other Guardia about the status of his licence. One said he had to have a Spanish one, one said he had to have it stamped and the other one didn't know whether it was legal or not!

So, if the Guardia and Trafico don't know the rules, how are us poor foreigners supposed to?
That is the problem, but some of them fine you just in case it is illegal, others can`t be bothered with the paperwork. ;-)
Old Mar 21st 2007, 4:15 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jdr
As the law changed recently as we were over at xmas and again hired a car with no problem. If it hadn't been for reading about it on here I wouldn't have even known anything about it
Old Mar 21st 2007, 4:24 am
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scampicat
Right, can somebody PLEASE tell me the rules on driving licences?

My husband has a UK photo licence, I have the previous green paper one.

We have been told
a) both of them are illegal in Spain and must be replaced.
b) his is legal, mine is not. His must be stamped, mine replaced.
c) Mine must be stamped, his is legal and doesn't have to have anything done to it.
d) both are legal and must both be stampe
e) both are legal and need have nothing done to them.

People tell me it's best to get a Spanish licence 'just in cas' but I don't see why I should if it's perfectly legal!

Does anyone KNOW?
Take a look at this site http://www.expatica.com/actual/artic...&story_id=1934
Old Mar 21st 2007, 4:39 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by sunlover27
As the law changed recently as we were over at xmas and again hired a car with no problem. If it hadn't been for reading about it on here I wouldn't have even known anything about it
I just talked with mrsjdr who says as long as the licence has the number on it her firm will allow rental.
When the daughter got mrsjdr`s car towed away and the owner of the car has to claim it, the nice policeman said if he caught her with a paper licence again he would keep the car until she returned with a proper licence.
I know for a fact that only card type eu licences are recognized officialy now though, despite the car rental firms recognizing the paper ones still.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 4:53 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
I just talked with mrsjdr who says as long as the licence has the number on it her firm will allow rental.
When the daughter got mrsjdr`s car towed away and the owner of the car has to claim it, the nice policeman said if he caught her with a paper licence again he would keep the car until she returned with a proper licence.
I know for a fact that only card type eu licences are recognized officialy now though, despite the car rental firms recognizing the paper ones still.
At present we both have EU plastic driving licence which has our old English address on.

1) Do we have to change to Spanish driving licence?
2) If not is there something else that needs to be done?
3) If we change to Spanish licence will this be a negative move when hiring a car on UK trips.

Rosemary
Old Mar 21st 2007, 5:16 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by The Oddities
At present we both have EU plastic driving licence which has our old English address on.

1) Do we have to change to Spanish driving licence?
2) If not is there something else that needs to be done?
3) If we change to Spanish licence will this be a negative move when hiring a car on UK trips.

Rosemary
Have a look HERE scroll down to DVLA note.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jdr
Cheers jdr, will just have to take a chance next week as no time to change them before we go, but will post off for the new ones the day we get back and hopefully get them back before we go again