Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Driving down and renting in lockdown.

Driving down and renting in lockdown.

Old Feb 23rd 2021, 7:52 pm
Just Joined

dieselracer13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving down and renting in lockdown.

Hi All,

Ideally we want to rent a property for 3-4 months in the Almeria region and we were hoping to make the move and drive down in the next few weeks. We're wondering if anyone has successfully done something similar while lockdown is still on and if they encountered any issues?

Regards

Mark
Old Feb 23rd 2021, 8:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving down and renting in lockdown.

Originally Posted by dieselracer13
Hi All,

Ideally we want to rent a property for 3-4 months in the Almeria region and we were hoping to make the move and drive down in the next few weeks. We're wondering if anyone has successfully done something similar while lockdown is still on and if they encountered any issues?

Regards

Mark
Driving from where and what is your status in Spain? It will depend on rules in your current country and any you'd pass through (i.e. you can't leave the UK for leisure purposes until May at the earliest, and France wouldn't let you in anyway unless you come under one of the exemptions, etc). If you can clarify then people can help.

Old Feb 23rd 2021, 8:46 pm
Just Joined

dieselracer13 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Driving from where and what is your status in Spain? It will depend on rules in your current country and any you'd pass through (i.e. you can't leave the UK for leisure purposes until May at the earliest, and France wouldn't let you in anyway unless you come under one of the exemptions, etc). If you can clarify then people can help.
Apologies, I wasn't very specific. We will be driving from the UK. We intend to rent a property before arriving in Spain for 3-4 months with a view to a permanent move. In our mind this is a potential relocation to Spain not a holiday.

Regards

Mark

Old Feb 23rd 2021, 8:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond repute

Under Schengen rules, you can only stay in Schengen area (including France en-route and Spain) for 90-in-180 days. You can't extend your stay after that, and have to leave Schengen for 90 days before you can return. In order to live long-term/settle in Spain, you now need to get a visa in UK from Spanish consulate, for which there is financial and health insurance requirements. Currently consulates aren't processing visa applications under Covid restrictions.
Old Feb 23rd 2021, 9:00 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

You have to be joking! The borders to Andalucia are closed and no one is allowed to enter. Please stay away. The police are setting up road blocks to prevent entry. Do you not read the newspapers?

Last edited by Fred James; Feb 23rd 2021 at 9:03 pm.
Old Feb 23rd 2021, 9:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dieselracer13
Apologies, I wasn't very specific. We will be driving from the UK. We intend to rent a property before arriving in Spain for 3-4 months with a view to a permanent move. In our mind this is a potential relocation to Spain not a holiday.

Regards

Mark
Ah, ok. I wasn’t sure if you were already in another area in Spain. In which case, you’ll need to wait and while and see what the rules are in the UK/Spain/France then as what you’re proposing isn’t allowed under current rules.

The good folks on the forum will help you work out the visa eligibility side of things and how you can get one now that Brexit has happened.

Good luck.
Old Feb 23rd 2021, 9:22 pm
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

Spain's guidance is far more clear-cut than the UK's, if you're not a resident you shouldn't be entering the country. If you drive into the country in a British car you might as well paint a huge target on it. If you manage to enter France.

Spain will announce something just before the 2nd of March as to whether or not the entry ban on non-resident Brits will carry on.

Last edited by DLC; Feb 23rd 2021 at 9:25 pm.
Old Feb 23rd 2021, 9:25 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joppa
Under Schengen rules, you can only stay in Schengen area (including France en-route and Spain) for 90-in-180 days. You can't extend your stay after that, and have to leave Schengen for 90 days before you can return. In order to live long-term/settle in Spain, you now need to get a visa in UK from Spanish consulate, for which there is financial and health insurance requirements. Currently consulates aren't processing visa applications under Covid restrictions.
Hola,

Sorry but I disagree; to know whether or not you can enter the Schengen area, simply think of today as day 180 and yesterday as day 179. now if in the previous 180 days, you have spent less than 90 days in the Schengen area, then you may enter it until your count is 90 days in the previous 180.

For example today is 14th July and you spent the 1st January until the 13th January, and 14th April until 29th June un Spain. that is 90 days - However your 180 day count back is back to 14th January so you have not spent 90 days in the Schengen area. so you may enter for 14 days

The real point is the 180 days is a rolling day count - you do not have to spend 90 days before you can enter again

Davexf
Old Feb 23rd 2021, 9:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dxf
Sorry but I disagree; to know whether or not you can enter the Schengen area, simply think of today as day 180 and yesterday as day 179. now if in the previous 180 days, you have spent less than 90 days in the Schengen area, then you may enter it until your count is 90 days in the previous 180.

For example today is 14th July and you spent the 1st January until the 13th January, and 14th April until 29th June un Spain. that is 90 days - However your 180 day count back is back to 14th January so you have not spent 90 days in the Schengen area. so you may enter for 14 days

The real point is the 180 days is a rolling day count - you do not have to spend 90 days before you can enter again
Yes you are right but I was simplifying for the sake of OP who was going to stay 3/4 months in Spain continuously. So after spending 90 days in France/Spain, as they intend to, they have to leave Schengen and can only return after 90 days.
Old Feb 24th 2021, 7:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute

I dont want to appear too rude but has the OP any idea what is actually happening in the world!!! Maybe it is a bit of trolling, I dont know.
Old Feb 24th 2021, 7:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Stingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond repute

Wait a few months. Everything’s in limbo atm
Old Feb 24th 2021, 7:45 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
If you could actually leave the UK, one exception accepted at the French border is proof that you are returning "home" to your principal place of residence, either in France or in transit to Spain/Portugal/Italy.... Which you wouldn't be. As said, a UK-registered car would be a target for the Gendarmerie if you managed to get through border control.... Not to mention the present nationwide curfew after 18h00 and the fact that restaurants, etc... have been closed for almost a year. Not the best time to travel through France, even for expat residents in France and in those countries....
When the present travel restrictions from the UK are about to be lifted, post in the France forum to find out what the situation is here, before making travel arrangements on the Continent...
HTH, but you should follow the News!!
Old Feb 24th 2021, 8:18 am
BE Enthusiast

SanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chipmonk
I dont want to appear too rude but has the OP any idea what is actually happening in the world!!! Maybe it is a bit of trolling, I dont know.
I've had my suspicions about quite a few lately. If that's the case then the perpetrator is getting their desired outcome with some of the rants and less than polite responses. It's beginning to remind me of my old village pub with the old guy in the corner barking his opinions and assumptions at newcomers.
Old Feb 24th 2021, 8:45 am
Just Joined

Zeb123 is an unknown quantity at this point

I must admit I felt a bit like that with my thread, it went a bit off piste. - What's the saying idle hands create devils work
Old Feb 24th 2021, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

EU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond repute

Windup post by OP. Boring day?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.