dongles

Old Oct 6th 2009, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

celestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nice
Default dongles

We are thinking of cutting back with costs as the euro is causing such financial grief and hence considering 2 options for internet and telephone use. 1 lose internet until things get better and keep telephonica line for phone. 2 move to a dongle for internet. Does anyone have any views or advice on the best packages around at the moment to bring the cost down below 69 euros which is the current final bill? Peace. C x
Old Oct 6th 2009, 8:21 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: dongles

Originally Posted by celestine
We are thinking of cutting back with costs as the euro is causing such financial grief and hence considering 2 options for internet and telephone use. 1 lose internet until things get better and keep telephonica line for phone. 2 move to a dongle for internet. Does anyone have any views or advice on the best packages around at the moment to bring the cost down below 69 euros which is the current final bill? Peace. C x
Just beware of the dongles, and research them carefully, if you have them on a DD contract, ask what happens if you go over the allowed usage, you may find yourself getting horrendous bills because you weren't aware of what you had used. Choose one that cuts off once you have reached the usage limit, and check very carefully the coverage, and speeds. We used one once, caverage and speed were great at the temporary apartment we were at, when we moved, and only a few hundred meters from the original place, coverage was so bad that it took 5 minutes for a page to load.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 8:50 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Check out if Orange ADSL works in your area.
As far as I know that price includes the line swop from Telefonica and is included in the rental, so only one bill per month at nearly half price.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

celestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nice

Originally Posted by jdr
Check out if Orange ADSL works in your area.
As far as I know that price includes the line swop from Telefonica and is included in the rental, so only one bill per month at nearly half price.
thanks I will look in to that
Old Oct 6th 2009, 2:42 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

At 45 euros a month, Movistr dongle (3GB download per month) is not cheap - you could use an internet cafe possibly for cheapness depending upon what you use the internet for

Davexf
Old Oct 6th 2009, 5:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

battlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond repute

I have no choice and use a Vodafone dongle. It is absolutely useless as we live in the campo with no land line and very weak signal. We do have a contract (since expired so now not tied in) but unlimited usage.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

campolife has a brilliant futurecampolife has a brilliant futurecampolife has a brilliant futurecampolife has a brilliant futurecampolife has a brilliant futurecampolife has a brilliant future

Check out masmovil and simyo. They seem to be the cheapest and no contracts.
One does 3gig for 25€ dropping to dial up speeds after this and the other does 1gig for 18€ and 3c per mb after that.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 5:32 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

This site may be helpful for anyone to see if they can get a better deal.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 6:19 am
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi JDR

Sorry but the site relies on ADSL or a fixed line - does not appear to support dongles - which was the original question

Davexf
Old Oct 7th 2009, 8:24 am
BE Enthusiast

digdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud of

so, as per jdr's link, are orange saying that they can supply a dongle on a 3 month contract free, for €9 per month, with 5Gig useage? thats what i worked out when i looked through it. if thats the case, why pay for a landline?
i'm off to the orange store to find out more....
DD
Old Oct 7th 2009, 11:17 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hi JDR

Sorry but the site relies on ADSL or a fixed line - does not appear to support dongles - which was the original question

Davexf
I read it as they have Telefonica ADSL that they want to change cos of cost, but keep the landline for calls ?

So gave option of various deals.

Last edited by jdr; Oct 7th 2009 at 11:19 am.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

xxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nice

Hi Ive got a vodafone one on a contract....im in the campo, but I do get a 3G signal, (in certain parts of the house) so it is quite fast, it does lose the signal a bit when the weather is really bad, and I have found that with my dongle that if I have it on an extention cable and have it hanging it the window the signal is better, but then im in an old farmhouse with 16" walls

costs me 45€ a month, I can have up to 3GB at fast speed and after that it is slower, no extra charges. Only gone over the 3GB once and that was my when daughter was still living here,
Old Oct 9th 2009, 5:58 pm
Just Joined

Leafy is an unknown quantity at this point

dongles are great if you dont download much, (image rich pages etc) otherwise they are scary expensive!
Old Oct 10th 2009, 10:05 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Just to clarify regarding dongle internet,...is the incoming mobile signal for normal speech,text operation, a fair guide as to what signal can be expected using a dongle from the same provider?
Am I right in presuming that the respective signals (mobile text,speech and mobile internet) come from the same transmitter, at much the same signal strength?
Old Oct 10th 2009, 10:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

pete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Just to clarify regarding dongle internet,...is the incoming mobile signal for normal speech,text operation, a fair guide as to what signal can be expected using a dongle from the same provider?
Am I right in presuming that the respective signals (mobile text,speech and mobile internet) come from the same transmitter, at much the same signal strength?
In my experience - yes. Although the speed of the internet link does seem to be more sensitive to the level of the signal than speech quality is. I don't know what the effect of using your mobile in close proximity to an internet connected dongle would be. Either device could be affected by the strong signal that the other one transmits, so they might interfere.