Dongle query

Old Oct 11th 2010, 8:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dongle query

I don't have a landline where I live in the campo.

I don't know about these cheaper independents like MasMovil.

I just need a reliable and regular Internet connection that can be accessed through my wireless router.
I often download more than 1Gb a month, hell I even download the occasional divx movie - yes it's a bit slow so I set it to download overnight, but it just works.

UK moble Internet is cheaper and faster than Spain. Can't get away from that fact. But Spain is progressing.

I can also use my normal mobile phone to connect to the Internet through the wireless router and make all my telephone calls through this using the SIP options and my VOIP (Skype) account. No longer any need to sit in front of the computer with a headset on looking like an old radio DJ.

Bill
Old Oct 11th 2010, 11:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

dunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to all

I don't know about other providers, but my orange dongle has worked great for nearly two years, and the installation had the option ofr english or spanish
Old Oct 12th 2010, 12:20 am
BE Enthusiast

derek500 has a spectacular aura aboutderek500 has a spectacular aura aboutderek500 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by billgates
I just need a reliable and regular Internet connection that can be accessed through my wireless router.
I bought an unlocked wireless router wifi hub from Ebay.

You just plug your internet mobile dongle in and you get wi-fi around the house.

We have an internet radio in the bedroom, so that's the only way to get a signal.

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=u....c0.m270.l1313
Old Oct 12th 2010, 1:27 am
BE Enthusiast

dunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to all

Originally Posted by derek500
I bought an unlocked wireless router wifi hub from Ebay.

You just plug your internet mobile dongle in and you get wi-fi around the house.

We have an internet radio in the bedroom, so that's the only way to get a signal.

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=u....c0.m270.l1313

if you are running windows 7 there is a software version of a wireless router (as freeware) Unfortunately for me, I'm still running Vista (very irritating software trouble ahead) so I can't use it

http://download.cnet.com/Connectify/...ml?tag=mncol;1
Old Nov 11th 2010, 4:16 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

I know this is an old thread and this may be useful to some.
I have just purchased a Carrefour prepay broadband dongle (today)for 29 euros and then 1 euro for each day you use it.
Limited to 100mb per day, so no use if you download too much stuff. For picking up emails and general surfing works a treat at decent speed.
Ideal for any one like me who is not a full time resident in Spain.
Old Nov 11th 2010, 7:12 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnnyone
I know this is an old thread and this may be useful to some.
I have just purchased a Carrefour prepay broadband dongle (today)for 29 euros and then 1 euro for each day you use it.
Limited to 100mb per day, so no use if you download too much stuff. For picking up emails and general surfing works a treat at decent speed.
Ideal for any one like me who is not a full time resident in Spain.
Is that pay-as-you-go (pre-pay) or contract?

What happens when you go over?
Old Nov 11th 2010, 9:27 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Also, what 3G network does it work off? The performance will almost certainly depend upon location.
Old Nov 11th 2010, 6:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

To answer the last couple of queries:-

i) I was told in the shop that when you reach the daily limit, the speed reduces to 128kps. I think thats about the old dial-up speed. (seems like an age ago)

ii) Not sure who provides the 3g as everything comes up as carrefour movil and I cannot understand the manual (I am trying to learn Spanish).
There is reference to RED. Is that a Spanish operator?
Also I purchased some additional days and the receipt says Telerec C-Movil if that's any help.
I am in Oliva where it works perfectly as you can tell by this reply.

iii) It's pre-pay although the initial dongle cost includes 4 euros of usage.

Sorry I could not be more precise in my replies.
Old Nov 11th 2010, 8:08 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

The word RED in this context means network.
Old Nov 11th 2010, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

campolife has a brilliant futurecampolife has a brilliant futurecampolife has a brilliant futurecampolife has a brilliant futurecampolife has a brilliant futurecampolife has a brilliant future

Carrefour uses the Orange network.

The 100 mb can last all day if you don't mess with video and limit your surfing.
I have found that when the allowance is exhausted you can still talk via msn or skype but it does warn you that the quality is low.

128kb is OK for emails and low graphics surfing if you are not in a hurry.

If you need 3gb try simyo as I think it is the cheapest. I believe this is also on orange.
Old Nov 12th 2010, 12:23 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnnyone
I have just purchased a Carrefour prepay broadband dongle (today)for 29 euros and then 1 euro for each day you use it..
How do you pay for the days you use?
Old Nov 12th 2010, 2:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by missile
How do you pay for the days you use?
It,s prepay.
Old Nov 12th 2010, 2:20 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

I understand it is prepay
It's pre-pay although the initial dongle cost includes 4 euros of usage
how do you pay for days after that?
Do you go to Carrefour, phone shop, buy a voucher, do it online or ....... ?

Last edited by missile; Nov 12th 2010 at 2:22 am.
Old Nov 12th 2010, 2:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by missile
I understand it is prepay
how do you pay for days after that?
Do you go to Carrefour, phone shop, buy a voucher, do it online or ....... ?
At a Carrefour, Supermerados DIA,Carrefour call centre (902 20 20 00), www.carrefour.es/movil, Cajeros 4B and authorised outlets.

Last edited by johnnyone; Nov 12th 2010 at 2:33 am. Reason: web link incorrect