Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Dogs and Rates!!

Dogs and Rates!!

Old Feb 5th 2008, 12:56 pm

Same Difference is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dogs and Rates!!

I have just found out that if you have a dog that is chipped then you need to pay a tax for it. I was talking to a Spanish girl earlier today and she told me its around €20 per year and has to be paid at the same building that we pay the rates (Spanish equivalent, dont know the word lol).

Are there any other stupid money grabbing taxes that we need to be aware of? :curse:
Old Feb 5th 2008, 1:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

sarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dogs and Rates!!

Originally Posted by Same Difference
I have just found out that if you have a dog that is chipped then you need to pay a tax for it. I was talking to a Spanish girl earlier today and she told me its around €20 per year and has to be paid at the same building that we pay the rates (Spanish equivalent, dont know the word lol).

Are there any other stupid money grabbing taxes that we need to be aware of? :curse:
Surely that is BOLLOX! and not the dog's obviously :curse:

Never heard of that.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by sarahchirles
Surely that is BOLLOX! and not the dog's obviously :curse:

Never heard of that.

Thats what I have just been told
Old Feb 5th 2008, 1:26 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Cant say I have ever heard that, but some areas may have separate local laws.

I know that all dogs have to be registered, which is usually around 30 euros so maybe this is being confused as an annual fee.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Cant say I have ever heard that, but some areas may have separate local laws.

I know that all dogs have to be registered, which is usually around 30 euros so maybe this is being confused as an annual fee.
She said it is only dogs that have been chipped for some reason

I will have to look into it a bit more, but I tell you one thing.......I am not paying it, the robbing gits!!
Old Feb 5th 2008, 1:31 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

She said it is only dogs that have been chipped for some reason

I will have to look into it a bit more, but I tell you one thing.......I am not paying it, the robbing gits!!
Well strictly speaking I think you have to have all dogs chipped in dogs, or at least pets.

Therefore if you have a chipped dog it will have to be registered.

You can get fined for not doing so.

That said, do you really think those mangy muts that chase cars are at all registered or chipped?
Old Feb 5th 2008, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Well strictly speaking I think you have to have all dogs chipped in dogs, or at least pets.

Therefore if you have a chipped dog it will have to be registered.

You can get fined for not doing so.

That said, do you really think those mangy muts that chase cars are at all registered or chipped?
I cant imagine a single dog in Spain is registered
Old Feb 5th 2008, 3:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

brisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond repute

We certainly weren't told anything about this tax for chipped dogs when we registered our dog at the Vet.

We have a little card from the Junta that says she is registered, but that's it - no demand for payment.
Maybe it IS a regional thing??

As you both say, it would be a miracle if there were many registered dogs in Spain at all, let alone anyone paying extra because they've done the sensible thing and had their dog chipped!

I'm sure the poor skinny "hunting" dog that appeared in our village a couple of days ago, isn't registered :curse:
Have tried to give it food, but it just shakes and scarpers
Old Feb 5th 2008, 7:42 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

We have heard, from our vet, that you have to register dogs classed as dangerous and that they have to be chipped.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 7:49 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

I cant imagine a single dog in Spain is registered
Get your money out again.... HERE
Old Feb 5th 2008, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by jdr
It doesnt say anything about paying a yearly tax for them, or did I miss that bit.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 8:07 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

It doesnt say anything about paying a yearly tax for them, or did I miss that bit.
It just says they have to be registered at the townhall, nothing about payments. ;-))
Old Feb 5th 2008, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by jdr
It just says they have to be registered at the townhall, nothing about payments. ;-))
I would like to know how many of the local dogs round here are registered with the town hall
Old Feb 5th 2008, 8:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

brisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
That was very interesting reading jdr, but I still can't believe that the majority of dogs in Spain are even identifiable, let alone registered!

I particularly liked this bit:

"There is no law against dogs fouling public places, however people are becoming increasingly sensitive about it and there are specific rules within certain places, such as urban parks.

Dogs should be kept on a lead in public places."

Judging by the amount of dogs that are left to roam around the streets of our village all day, I can vouch for the fact that no-one is upholding that part of the law

Also, I am the ONLY person in our village who picks up their dog's poo!! I've even been told to leave it on a grass verge before "Oh, it doesn't matter; it's in the campo!"

I bet the majority of dogs in Spain aren't tattooed or chipped either.
What a shame they don't make that absolutely compulsory for anyone who wants to keep a hunting dog
Then they'd be able to trace the rotten swines who just abandon their dogs when they no longer serve a purpose

So, in answer to Same Difference, unless his/her dog is a "potentially dangerous" dog (as outlined) there is no need to register the dog, let alone pay a fee??
It just says that all dogs have to be identified - but we already know that's a complete mockery!

Only yesterday, I was talking to someone in the village who has two gorgeous American Staffies. One is a recent arrival, so I wonder whether they are aware that generally speaking only one "dangerous" dog can be registered to an owner??

Strikes me that this is a law that's very open to interpretation..................and is shamelessly flouted in a lot of places!

Last edited by brisca; Feb 5th 2008 at 8:19 pm. Reason: Clarifying a point