Dog Barking

Old Jun 3rd 2010, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

sonnyc has a brilliant futuresonnyc has a brilliant futuresonnyc has a brilliant futuresonnyc has a brilliant futuresonnyc has a brilliant futuresonnyc has a brilliant future
Default Dog Barking

HI all,
Need to know,do electronic dog barking deterrents work???looking for one with a working range of 20 to100 metres.
Many thanks for any replies.
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 8:31 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dog Barking

What are you trying to deter?
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 8:39 pm
Not around much..

SDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonnyc
HI all,
Need to know,do electronic dog barking deterrents work???looking for one with a working range of 20 to100 metres.

Guns work...
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 8:54 pm
Jur

Jur is an unknown quantity at this point

HI all,
What? That electric shock thing where a dog gets a jolt every time he´s protecting you, your home, your kids? Try one on yourself, see how you like it.
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 9:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

jay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to behold

If you do not like dogs barking, why on earth have one. They protect your home, family and goods and you want to give them an electric shock because they bark when they are responding to something you do not hear. Maybe you should have been shocked every time you spoke to someone without being asked would you have liked it.

If your dog is barking look at what he is barking at and reassure him that you are aware of it that will calm him, he is telling you as pack leader. Pain does not teach an animal anything but love gives them lots.
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 9:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

He hasnt actually said it is for his dog, in fact not said he has a dog, I read it and thought he meant the local Spanish dogs that bark all the time, though I have got used to them
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 9:21 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

It wouldnt be Spain without the chorus of dogs barking night and day!! In fact I think it would worry me if I couldnt hear one!?

Jo xxx
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 9:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Isakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jur
What? That electric shock thing where a dog gets a jolt every time he´s protecting you, your home, your kids? Try one on yourself, see how you like it.
No need to be jumpy, I am sure the poster was asking about the electronic devices that emit a signal inaudible to the human ear, but audible to dogs.It is a detterent to barking.
I live in Italy where noone cares if their dog's barking is disrupting the lives of others. I read extensively about these devices on some American websites and came to a conclussion that different breeds of dogs react differently to it and also the ultrasound must not be obstructed by shrubs, walls, etc. There was a website where you can return it if not satisfied.
We have friends who have 4 dogs and when they installed a swimming pool, the dogs were in it.To stop them from entering and also to protect the veg garden they installed a different system.They put wires under the ground and if the dogs came near it, they got a small schock from the receiver on their necklace. Needless to say, they learned quickly.

To conclude about the barking deterrent-I'd get one only if there are no obstacles and if it does not work in your case, you can always return it.
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 9:28 pm
HOODIE

Lushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of light

Electronic dog deterrents? I threw a battery in a dogs face once. It wasn't very happy but didn't attack me. Only a small battery you understand, not a car battery or anything daft.
The electronic deterrents are usually for use if you are walking in the valleys and hills so the violent flesh eating canines don't come near you. They aren't supposed to be used to torture the annoying barking dogs that live in the house opposite or just down the street. Those dogs are just protecting their area and if you use those electronic things it will drive them potty and they'll bark constantly peeing you off even more. That's if you meant those ones.
Maybe.

Last edited by Lushdaddy; Jun 3rd 2010 at 9:33 pm. Reason: Bad spelling. Check my quote if you don't believe me..
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 9:32 pm
HOODIE

Lushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Lushdaddy
Electronic dog deterrents? I threw a battery in a dogs face once. It wasn't very happy but didn't attack me. Only a small battery you understand, not a car battery or anything daft.
The electronic deterrents are usually for use if you are walking in the valleys and hills so the violent flesh eating canines don't come near you. They aren't supposed to be used to torture the annoying barking dogs that live in the house opposite or just down the street. Those dogs are just protecting their area and if you use those electronic things it will drive them potty and they'll bark constantly peeing you off even more. That's if you meant those ones.
Maybe.
Ah, I see where you have misread, dog BARKING deterrents.. Not DOG deterrents..
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 10:22 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I’ve sussed out how to stop my dogs barking, I shout STOP and it works sometimes, otherwise I chase them round the garden with a broom handle and that stops them too.

Unfortunately, shouting at all the dogs in the neighbourhood doesn’t work, and I can’t chase round the streets with a broom handle, there’s a Russian down the street with a barking dog and he’s seven feet tall (the Russian).

Ear plugs help and bagpipe music calms them down.
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 10:41 pm
Forum Regular

sonnyc has a brilliant futuresonnyc has a brilliant futuresonnyc has a brilliant futuresonnyc has a brilliant futuresonnyc has a brilliant futuresonnyc has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Isakat
No need to be jumpy, I am sure the poster was asking about the electronic devices that emit a signal inaudible to the human ear, but audible to dogs.It is a detterent to barking.
I live in Italy where noone cares if their dog's barking is disrupting the lives of others. I read extensively about these devices on some American websites and came to a conclussion that different breeds of dogs react differently to it and also the ultrasound must not be obstructed by shrubs, walls, etc. There was a website where you can return it if not satisfied.
We have friends who have 4 dogs and when they installed a swimming pool, the dogs were in it.To stop them from entering and also to protect the veg garden they installed a different system.They put wires under the ground and if the dogs came near it, they got a small schock from the receiver on their necklace. Needless to say, they learned quickly.

To conclude about the barking deterrent-I'd get one only if there are no obstacles and if it does not work in your case, you can always return it.
At least one with some sense.I have 2 dogs to the front of me and also 2 at the rear and now someone has opened a boarding kennel approx.80metres to the side and may I say these dogs bark from 23.00hrs to 0600hrs more or less non stop.
Old Jun 4th 2010, 1:34 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Sonny, saw your post and thought I'd try to suggest... I don't know how you are going to get all these dogs to stop barking but here's some ideas.

Unfortunately you're in a country where animal rights aren't that well respected so barking dogs are part of your life... unfortunately.

However, things you can do to stop barking...
There's personal intervention...

Dogs love peanut butter, and if you go fill up a cheap plastic ball with it (leave a hole so they can get their tongue in there but small enough so they'll have to work for it - this depends on the size of dog) and chuck it over the fence of the dogs who bark, they'll be so thrilled with it, it'll keep them busy for hours. Accompany it with 'ENOUGH!' or 'STOP!' and you will find they will eventually stop barking the more you do it. Presumably the owners aren't around right? They won't know where it came from and if they leave their dog to bark, they probably don't care anyway. Essentially, when you say 'ENOUGH' and they stop barking, they're rewarded for being quiet. They need to associate quiet with it being a 'good thing'.
You can use this method for when you need a few hours sleep or quiet, or when for example, you're on your way to work in the morning... it will have to be constant - they need to expect to be quiet for it, if that makes sense.. You may need shares in a PB factory.
A good toy to get is a Kong to fill up but you'd have issues getting it back to re-fill.
Go with the cheap ball. Stuff some liver treats in it too for variety. Then you can freeze the balls in the freezer. This way it melts slowly and it takes the dog far longer to get the stuff out.

Regarding ultrasonic devices. Research says they *can* work, but depending on the dog, as already mentioned. Some are lucky, some are not. The issue you have is that the area is large by the sound of it, and walls and buildings get in the way of the devices, so you will have to put it up really high.
Not only that, but they don't really work much over 50 feet, which is the downside.

Here's a link for you which will tell you ways you can deal with your issue - a whole site on barking dogs!

http://www.barkingdogs.net

Link to the kind of products you'll be looking at:
http://www.amazon.com/Lentek-Super-B...f=pd_sim_hpc_2

If you're going to buy one, then make sure you can get a money back guarrantee with it because they reckon if they don't work after a couple of days, then they're probably not going to work full stop and then you can return it. An intermittant alarm is the best idea... turns off when the dog stops barking. Constant ones are cruel to cats and other animals and may irritate the dog to the point it keeps barking at the irritant!

I don't know about the kennel they've opened and how to tackle that issue. Presumably the council gave them approval for it? There may be re-dress via the council... Have you approached them at all?
I mean, you have to expect dogs to bark in a kennel, but there are animal rights people in Spain, and if the dogs aren't being looked after properly, then they will bark... Is there some way you can inspect the kennel, talk to the owners (there's tips on how to approach people on that link and what NOT to say) and get them to take action.
A happy dog with appropriate attention should not bark aimlessly.

Hope that helps.
Old Jun 4th 2010, 1:39 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Isakat

That's an electronic dog containment system. Once the wires are under the ground, and the dogs have a collar on, you start the training, showing them with little cones on the ground where the line is. There are three degrees of 'zap' and most dogs don't go past the first. When they approach the training cones, they feel a buzz... and closer...a stronger buzz.
When they 'get it', you remove the visual training cones and the dog gets on with staying away.
It's not cruel, there's a training system which goes with it and it's great for keeping dogs off important bits of the garden like you say. The dog never actually gets shocked if the owner uses the training manual that comes with it.
Old Jun 4th 2010, 6:39 am
Forum Regular

kyles Mummy is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Re: Dog Barking

HI all,
He's probably barking to protect your home and his territory, Or do you mean the next door nabiours dog, That's a difficult!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.