Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Does working 2 hours/week qualify you for Seguridad Social?

Does working 2 hours/week qualify you for Seguridad Social?

Old Jun 1st 2018, 9:21 am
Just Joined

DaisyCrazy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Does working 2 hours/week qualify you for Seguridad Social?

Hi

I'm asking for a friend whose husband has just moved back to UK. He was previously contracted to work in Spain so she got free health care via him, but now that he is gone her free health care comes to a halt.

She has been offered a job, with a contract, for 2 hours a week, earning about €120/month. Would this be sufficient for her to qualify for free health care or is there a minimum number of hours that you must work/minimum amount that you must earn in order to qualify?

TIA
Old Jun 1st 2018, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

Smithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does working 2 hours/week qualify you for Seguridad Social?

I don't know exactly and I suppose it depends on whether your friend is paying any social security contributions out of her earnings?

If you have been a resident for more than a year, you can pay into the system directly for health cover... It costs €60 a month under the age of 65, but you need to have been a registered resident for more than a year... not just have been in Spain for this time etc - Generalitat: Detalle de Procedimientos

I am assuming she isn't planning on living off that €120 a month as her only income etc
Old Jun 1st 2018, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

VEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Smithy73

but you need to have been a registered resident for more than a year... not just have been in Spain for this time etc - Generalitat: Detalle de Procedimientos
In my case, I only needed to have been on the Padron for a year. I was then permitted to join the Conventio and used this when applying for Residence.
Old Jun 1st 2018, 2:59 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply.

1. The job comes with a contract, so yes, she will be paying into the Social Security system, albeit peanuts.

2. She wants to know if the free healthcare will be automatically included with her job contract, so my question was about that. Paying €60 a month to achieve the same would be a last resort consideration I think.

3. The €120 earnings is not her only source of income. Her husband is working in the UK. She is only really considering taking this job as a means of getting the free healthcare and a little bit of extra cash to squirrel away, but if that is not going to be the case then she is unlikely to take the job.

Thanks.
Old Jun 1st 2018, 11:30 pm
Forum Regular

Smithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaisyCrazy

She is only really considering taking this job as a means of getting the free healthcare and a little bit of extra cash to squirrel away, but if that is not going to be the case then she is unlikely to take the job.

Thanks.
I am sorry I don't really know as I pay into the Autonomo system as self employed.
I would guess most of the people on here would be the same.. Autonomo or on a pension
The best cause of action would be for your friend to ask her new employer if she is going to be making social security contributions out of her earnings and have access to the health system?
Old Jun 2nd 2018, 3:19 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Smithy73
I am sorry I don't really know as I pay into the Autonomo system as self employed.
I would guess most of the people on here would be the same.. Autonomo or on a pension
The best cause of action would be for your friend to ask her new employer if she is going to be making social security contributions out of her earnings and have access to the health system?

hi

yes, she is going to pay into the Social security system, albeit peanuts, because the job comes with a contract. But her employer has no idea about her access to the health system.

thanks anyway.
Old Jun 2nd 2018, 5:21 am
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

Yes she will be covered (IMO) as once you pay into the system you are & will be covered even when the job ends.
My experiance anyway in Valencia region.
Old Jun 2nd 2018, 6:34 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by VFR
Yes she will be covered (IMO) as once you pay into the system you are & will be covered even when the job ends.
My experiance anyway in Valencia region.
A friend, in the Province of Valencia, was working, had a contract and had state health care. When he lost his job, his state health care was stopped after 3 months.
Old Jun 2nd 2018, 7:08 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by snikpoh
A friend, in the Province of Valencia, was working, had a contract and had state health care. When he lost his job, his state health care was stopped after 3 months.

yes, my understanding too is that if you don’t have a contract you don’t have free healthcare.

anyway, i’m still hoping to find out if there is a minimum that you have to be contributing every month for the free healthcare to kick in.
Old Jun 2nd 2018, 8:55 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Apart from pensioners and some other special situations (having residence prior to 2012 etc) the overriding principle is that access to public healthcare is via workers making contributions - as against the UK where being a legal resident qualifies you for free access to NHS ie Spain is contribution based UK is resident based.

Whilst I wish your friend well I would be amazed if a 2 hour a week job will generate a sufficient contribution to qualify. I have been looking at the INSS website (much of which is now available in English BTW) but cannot find a definitive answer. Your friend could always visit their local INSS office and ask them (best to make an appointment)
Old Jun 4th 2018, 9:33 am
Just Joined

Hi

I spoke to a gestor about this issue and the answer was that as long as someone has a contract then they have entitlement to the free healthcare. The amount of contributions/hours worked is irrelevant.