Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Does Movistar have access to USENET ?

Does Movistar have access to USENET ?

Old Nov 5th 2011, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

robt23 has a brilliant futurerobt23 has a brilliant futurerobt23 has a brilliant futurerobt23 has a brilliant futurerobt23 has a brilliant futurerobt23 has a brilliant future
Default Does Movistar have access to USENET ?

Hi again,

Have a question regarding usenet. In case people don`t know what usenet is , it`s like a P2P but more secure and faster in theory. Never used it myself but I am trying to find an old 80`s TV series - yep, you guessed, it usenet has it.

Which is why I asked the question. If anyone has usenet via Movistar or any other operator , your opinions would be welcome.
Old Nov 6th 2011, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

NadiaN has a brilliant futureNadiaN has a brilliant futureNadiaN has a brilliant futureNadiaN has a brilliant futureNadiaN has a brilliant futureNadiaN has a brilliant futureNadiaN has a brilliant future
Default Re: Does Movistar have access to USENET ?

Originally Posted by robt23
Hi again,

Have a question regarding usenet. In case people don`t know what usenet is , it`s like a P2P but more secure and faster in theory. Never used it myself but I am trying to find an old 80`s TV series - yep, you guessed, it usenet has it.

Which is why I asked the question. If anyone has usenet via Movistar or any other operator , your opinions would be welcome.
I don't know if Movistar carries usenet. I do know that Ono (my ISP) shows the alt.binaries.* group headers, so you can see what has been posted. However when you try to download anything that has been posted, you just get an empty file. And even if they were to properly carry binaries groups, there are so many gigabytes of stuff posted every day, that the retention would be extremely low - maybe a week at most.

I think pretty much all ISPs have dropped the binary usenet groups. They might carry the text groups, but not the ones you need. Your best bet would be to sign up for Giganews, or another service like that. They have a retention of something like 3 years... Of course they are pay services though.

Another place you might look for your 80s TV series is some of the direct download sites like rapidshare and megaupload. You could google for the name of the show plus the word rapidshare, and if there's anything to find, it should pop up in the search results. Usually you find a site that has links to the specific files, so you just click the link, select the "Free download" option, wait the 40-90 seconds that the site makes you wait for a free download, and then you just click on the download link and save the file to your computer. Good luck :-)
Old Nov 6th 2011, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

robt23 has a brilliant futurerobt23 has a brilliant futurerobt23 has a brilliant futurerobt23 has a brilliant futurerobt23 has a brilliant futurerobt23 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Does Movistar have access to USENET ?

Many thanks for your well informed reply. I have dropped the usenet option and logged into a site which has many 80`s tv shows.

Might seem silly to some but the shows I was looking for were infact seasons 4 and 5 of Highway to heaven.

I really loved that series.

Thanks again.