Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Does anyone recognise this flower

Does anyone recognise this flower

Old Sep 22nd 2008, 1:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

jo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to behold
Default Does anyone recognise this flower

Saw this very striking flower in a local venta's garden and have never seen it in any of the garden centers[IMG]2008 Unusual flower 001.jpghttp://[/IMG]

Last edited by jo-ann; Sep 22nd 2008 at 1:47 pm. Reason: Cannot get the image to show
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 2:19 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does anyone recognise this flower

Originally Posted by jo-ann
Saw this very striking flower in a local venta's garden and have never seen it in any of the garden centers2008 Unusual flower 001.jpghttp://
Is the picture on your PC or on a site ?
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 2:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

jo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to behold

Does anyone recognise this flower-2008-unusual-flower-001.jpg
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 2:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks JDR, just managed to figure it out, so photo's now shown OK
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 2:27 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

where's matt when you need him?
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 2:30 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Without seeing the whole plant or without getting an idea of size, it looks to me like it could be some form of Dianthus.
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 2:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Only managed to get this flower as the heavy rain broke it from the stem. My friend thinks she has found its name Celosia Cristata (Cockscomb), certainly looks as though that is it, beautiful flower so impressive.
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 2:49 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Only managed to get this flower as the heavy rain broke it from the stem. My friend thinks she has found its name Celosia Cristata (Cockscomb), certainly looks as though that is it, beautiful flower so impressive.
From this link it could well ne.
http://www.motherherbs.com/celosia-cristata.html
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 3:50 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, it's beautiful! Can I have a cutting or perhaps some seeds
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 8:41 am
Just Joined

AandJ is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

You are right it is Celosia - very lovely and looks like velvet. Looks stunning in a tied bunch with other mixed flowers.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 6:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Wow, it's beautiful! Can I have a cutting or perhaps some seeds
This plant is an annual and in my local garden centre when I asked if they had any plants or seeds, he came back with a packet of seeds and gave them to me, well I had spent 35 euros on other things but how nice, wouldn't get that in the UK. The seeds are from Batlle - Celosia argentea v. cristata, they are the dwarf variety 30-40 cm, with English instructions as well so now I have to wait until next spring to plant them. So I think you should be able to get them in your part of Spain as well.
Old Sep 24th 2008, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

toyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud of

I thought they are perennial, but maybe not.

I’m sure I’ve seen this in a gorgeous honey/mustard colour.

Celosia obviously vary quite a bit. When I was at Wisley they had a fabulous Celosia Flamingo which was red hot poker shaped, feathery, and a vivid magenta in colour.