Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Does anyone live in Mallorca?

Does anyone live in Mallorca?

Old May 27th 2013, 7:31 am
Just Joined

Julie Bonnet is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Does anyone live in Mallorca?

Hello!! This is my first post here, looking for some help...

Can anyone recommend anywhere to live in Mallorca itself? I will be moving with my partner we are both 30 with no kids.

Anybody could give me any general advice... On the area, shopping, people, spanish telephone company to call England...?

Many Thanks!
Julie.
Old May 27th 2013, 7:50 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does anyone live in Mallorca?

Welcome to the zoo

I've lived in Mallorca for a long time. I'll be happy to offer my 2 cents if you give me a little something more to work with...

First, What part of Mallorca are you planning to live? It's a very diverse island with very different character / cost of living from east to west and north to south.

What are you really seeking? What will be your source of income? Are you planning to buy or rent? These questions alone could have a great deal of impact on where you might choose to settle.

You'll have a varying degree of choices of all the things you mention - depending on where you are settled - and what's important to you.

welcome in advance to our little rock in the med.

-Ami
Old May 27th 2013, 9:56 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Julie Bonnet
Hello!! This is my first post here, looking for some help...

Can anyone recommend anywhere to live in Mallorca itself? I will be moving with my partner we are both 30 with no kids.

Anybody could give me any general advice... On the area, shopping, people, spanish telephone company to call England...?

Many Thanks!
Julie.
As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old May 27th 2013, 10:29 am
Just Joined

dchaworth is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Julie,

I live in Palma so, as Ami says, if you have more specific questions then please ask.

bye
David
Old May 31st 2013, 8:10 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dchaworth
Hello Julie,

I live in Palma so, as Ami says, if you have more specific questions then please ask.

bye
David
Excuse me for butting in, however my BIL & SIL have just been in Palma looking at property. They're seriously interested in a two storey apartment at the top of a building in the old part of Palma.

They don't use this forum (because at the moment they're not expats), so I might be seeking advice from locals on their behalf. They are BTW wealthy and in their mid-late 50's.

Last edited by Novocastrian; May 31st 2013 at 8:13 pm.
Old May 31st 2013, 8:42 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Excuse me for butting in, however my BIL & SIL have just been in Palma looking at property. They're seriously interested in a two storey apartment at the top of a building in the old part of Palma.

They don't use this forum (because at the moment they're not expats), so I might be seeking advice from locals on their behalf. They are BTW wealthy and in their mid-late 50's.
come on you have been here long enought to know that if they are considering moving to an expat status then they are welcome on BE.

asking for advice after the event is generally too late, you have landed in the puddle of crocodiles.

get them here and asking - then they can get settled in
kind regards
Old May 31st 2013, 8:52 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
come on you have been here long enought to know that if they are considering moving to an expat status then they are welcome on BE.

asking for advice after the event is generally too late, you have landed in the puddle of crocodiles.

get them here and asking - then they can get settled in
kind regards
You are, of course, perfectly right, but the last thing I want on BE are relatives.

I've been far too indiscreet over the years.
Old Jun 1st 2013, 4:03 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
You are, of course, perfectly right, but the last thing I want on BE are relatives.

I've been far too indiscreet over the years.
I have news for you. It's ALL relative.

And what, do you think you have a monopoly on indiscretion? Just read some of the regular forum posts around here. But you should know that by now.

Sigh. Just don't tell them your username.

By the way, there are a handful of good deals in Palma at the moment (although most property is terribly overpriced there), but the question is, do they really want to park in Palma? There are far better (and much much cheaper) places to settle on this island.
Old Jun 1st 2013, 6:10 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by amideislas
I have news for you. It's ALL relative.

And what, do you think you have a monopoly on indiscretion? Just read some of the regular forum posts around here. But you should know that by now.

Sigh. Just don't tell them your username.

By the way, there are a handful of good deals in Palma at the moment (although most property is terribly overpriced there), but the question is, do they really want to park in Palma? There are far better (and much much cheaper) places to settle on this island.
It may be early days but I do know they have visited several times to meet with a daughter who was working crew on a luxury yacht (and I do mean luxury) They liked it.

As to value, the one they are interested in is way beyond my pay grade, but as I mentioned, they're wealthy.
Old Jun 7th 2013, 10:51 am
Just Joined

Thanks for all!
I would like to live in the city of Palma, i have already looked at some apartaments...
My boyfriend already have work there, i will have to find it...
We moved at the end of July
What is the first thing we should do when we begin to live on that island Spain?
Old Jun 7th 2013, 11:42 am
Banned

Register for NIE number. Learn Spanish (or better, Catalan).German would also be valuable
Old Aug 9th 2013, 11:48 am
Just Joined

is there someone who knows the telephone company Hitsmobile?