Where to start

Old Aug 8th 2013, 9:47 pm
Just Joined

Roxy_w is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to start

Hi, we are considering a move to spain, my husband and I & our 2 children who are 7 & 5. My husband works away offshore for 2 weeks away and 3 at home and flys to work so we are not tied down to a certain area for work.
Where do I start with looking at a move?
Can someone advise me on rentals, we would have £1000 month to spend on a 3+ bed but could go upto £1400 (€1600ish), all the ones I have seen are I think holiday let's, we would want to stay somewhere long term, where is the best place to look?
How do I go about looking at schools? I was hoping to get both children in state schools, I'm hoping they wouldn't have to much trouble settling in

Any info would be much appreciated

Thanks
Old Aug 8th 2013, 10:05 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to start

Hi

I'd suggest that you should first look at the journey the OH has to make. Pick the airport he works near and where you can fly to from there

Davexf
Old Aug 9th 2013, 11:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Also check out your tax liabilities of being resident in Spain.
Old Aug 9th 2013, 11:33 am
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hi

I'd suggest that you should first look at the journey the OH has to make. Pick the airport he works near and where you can fly to from there

Davexf
That is the best advice because without a regular all year round service it will be difficult for your OH travelling wise.

Most people go for either Alicante or Malaga, there seems to be more choice.
Old Aug 9th 2013, 11:58 am
Just Joined

Roxy_w is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I have already looked into flights and Malaga is the best airport to fly from so we would be looking at areas around their. Currently my oh is spending £440 a round trip on flights and that is just within the UK, it would appear it works out cheaper to travel Scotland to Malaga than he currently pays now.
I just wasn't sure about how we go about getting a rental long term and information on state schools
Old Aug 9th 2013, 1:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Where to start

Originally Posted by Roxy_w
Hi, I have already looked into flights and Malaga is the best airport to fly from so we would be looking at areas around their. Currently my oh is spending £440 a round trip on flights and that is just within the UK, it would appear it works out cheaper to travel Scotland to Malaga than he currently pays now.
I just wasn't sure about how we go about getting a rental long term and information on state schools
Don't forget Faro airport 35 mins into Spain but a huge choice of cheap flights to all destinations in Scotland and England.
Old Aug 9th 2013, 3:07 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Sorry to correct you EsuriJohn but Faro airport is in Portugal you said 35 mins into Spain) - you maybe able to do it in 35 mins - I reckon an hour and don´t forget motorway costs (applicable to both possibly)

State schools are available so do a dry run of the journey to the airport At The Time You Will Be Travelling. Most important if travelling in any rush hour.

Secondly - look for backup flights if for some reason say Edinburgh to Faro by Jet2 goes because the airline goes under.

Davexf
Old Aug 9th 2013, 4:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Where to start

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hi

Sorry to correct you EsuriJohn but Faro airport is in Portugal you said 35 mins into Spain) - you maybe able to do it in 35 mins - I reckon an hour and don´t forget motorway costs (applicable to both possibly)

State schools are available so do a dry run of the journey to the airport At The Time You Will Be Travelling. Most important if travelling in any rush hour.

Secondly - look for backup flights if for some reason say Edinburgh to Faro by Jet2 goes because the airline goes under.

Davexf
I do the route regularly we always use the motorway for airport pick ups and drop offs. From the border on the center of the bridge to the statue r/about at the airport is 35 mins. 75 mins gets you to Sevilla airport which is our back up. It's familiarity that helps the A22 is virtually empty these days I have done a drop off early on Sunday morning 09.30 flight and not seen more than 4 others cars in my direction. I have a transponder so no need to stop for tolls and it is 5 mins from my front gate to the center of the bridge and 2 mins from the r/about to the departure sunshade. With Spain being 1hour ahead of Portugal we always do our timings based on the departure time of the aircraft + 1hour and that is the departure time from home. That's 1 hr to travel and see people into departures and 1 hr to clear security and get on board hanging about in airports is not for me.

As an aside our normal route from Milton Keynes to Costa Esuri is easyjet from Luton to Faro and our best door to door time is 5 hrs.