Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Dodgy Job Adverts

Dodgy Job Adverts

Old May 30th 2012, 1:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

TONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dodgy Job Adverts

Recently I replied to an advert in the Coastrider for what seemed at first glance to be a driving job here in Spain, it turns out that the job is in Ireland according to the reply I received.
The reply was poorly written and purported to come from an Australian Tour company so I was a little suspicious.
I have been in touch with this company and have been informed that the people whose names are attached to the email are not nor have not ever been employed by the Australian tour company.
So anyone else who has seen this or replied to this advert beware.
Has anybody else found dodgy adverts?
Tony P
Old May 30th 2012, 1:34 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dodgy Job Adverts

all the local press are saying that there are phony job adverts around where they get you to fone for a telephone interview on a premium number

so someone is making money out of the crisis, just its the wrong people.
Old May 30th 2012, 1:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

TONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond repute

This one wanted a reply by email, no phone number or contact name.
Regards
Tony P
Old May 30th 2012, 1:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

I know there are plenty of scam jobs advertised here in the UK as my daughter caught by some. You go for an interview and they string you along to end up working for next to nothing trawling around awful estates etc selling crap. Luckily I managed to research as didn't ring right from the interview and managed to get enough info to realise a scam and prevent here wasting more money and time. They are easy enough to research here even FB has a site where they are named and shamed. But makes my blood boil when they are preying on decent kids and wasting their time and money for nothing, these sort of people are absolute scum. Don't suppose in Spain it will be that easy to research them but well worth googling any Co names to see what comes up.

Last edited by bobd22; May 30th 2012 at 1:39 pm. Reason: correction
Old May 30th 2012, 1:44 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

believe these can be reported to the local Trading Standards office in the UK, but not sure who deals with it in Spain, but I am sure someone will tell us.
Old May 30th 2012, 2:58 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

There are a few similar to the email one you mentioned and the premium rate ones on Gumtree at the moment...
Old May 30th 2012, 3:06 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
believe these can be reported to the local Trading Standards office in the UK, but not sure who deals with it in Spain, but I am sure someone will tell us.
probably OMIC http://aplicaciones.consumo-inc.es/c...spx?tabla=omic
Old May 30th 2012, 4:53 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

As said, there are plenty of false jobs advertised where you end up paying a premium number.
I had a job offer last year as a printer but alarm bells started ringing for me. When I checked the people out I found they were owners of an indian restaurant!?
I called them and they asked if we could meat half way between our cities and asked if I would be coming alone. When I confronted them about their business and said I was recording the conversation they hung up.
As for ANY SPANISH job offer, take what they say with a pinch of salt or get EVERYTHING offered in writing..............speaking from bad experiances myself.
Old May 30th 2012, 7:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

teuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond repute

Beautiful Freudian slip. Did you really "meat" the reataurant owner?
Pete
Old May 30th 2012, 10:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=Madridboy;10091036]As said, there are plenty of false jobs advertised where you end up paying a premium number.
As I said no phone number so no scam there, I presume that they either wanted personal info for Identity theft or at some time would expect money to be handed over with the promise of repayment.
Two names appeared on the Email back to me with the job description and requesting some personal information.
So I presume that somewhere down the line money would have been requested, unless they actually expected me to fund it all (Never going to happen) and look after their "Client" before trying to claim back expenses.
Interestingly a lot of the terminology was American, eg Check for Cheque and asking for a Zip Code. Very poor really as a scam.
Tony P