Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Renting in Spain - Problems

Renting in Spain - Problems

Old May 28th 2012, 10:35 am
Just Joined

DominicMarc has a brilliant futureDominicMarc has a brilliant futureDominicMarc has a brilliant futureDominicMarc has a brilliant futureDominicMarc has a brilliant futureDominicMarc has a brilliant future
Exclamation Renting in Spain - Problems

Hello, we recently moved to Valencia to rent and work, we have jobs available to us here in Valencia just not right at this moment (2-3 weeks) however we are having difficulty in renting at the moment.

We keep getting told we need proof that we can pay rent which is understandable however without jobs we would obviously need a guarantor (a friend or family). This isn't a problem at all but my question is how do you go about this as if memory serves right a guarantor's signature would be needed as well as a lot of paperwork from them. Would this simply be done electronically instead?

Any response regarding this would be much appreciated as we are struggling a little with the whole thing. Thank you.
Old May 28th 2012, 11:27 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renting in Spain - Problems

Originally Posted by DominicMarc
Hello, we recently moved to Valencia to rent and work, we have jobs available to us here in Valencia just not right at this moment (2-3 weeks) however we are having difficulty in renting at the moment.

We keep getting told we need proof that we can pay rent which is understandable however without jobs we would obviously need a guarantor (a friend or family). This isn't a problem at all but my question is how do you go about this as if memory serves right a guarantor's signature would be needed as well as a lot of paperwork from them. Would this simply be done electronically instead?

Any response regarding this would be much appreciated as we are struggling a little with the whole thing. Thank you.

Why not simply show any prospective landlord a copy of the letter making the job offer. This will clearly show that it is a legitimate offer of employment here in Spain and that you will be able to afford the rent!
Old May 28th 2012, 11:35 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone stated precisely what form of "proof" is required? A tax declaration? Financial statement? Job contract?

This kind of thing isn't that common here in the islands - but some do ask for it. Most people either provide a copy of their job contract, or a UK tax declaration.

If it's only the owner than wants this (not some official public filing), I suspect that many people who are in chicken and egg situations like this probably just forge something temporarily just to get out of the never-ending circle. Whilst I am not suggesting you do so, and many would question the ethics of this, it might be worth considering that conversely, many owners would happily promise almost anything or otherwise misrepresent the agreement or the property strictly in the interest of closing the deal and moving on.
Old May 28th 2012, 11:50 am
Just Joined

DominicMarc has a brilliant futureDominicMarc has a brilliant futureDominicMarc has a brilliant futureDominicMarc has a brilliant futureDominicMarc has a brilliant futureDominicMarc has a brilliant future

We were told that due to not officially starting the job that we would need a guarantor. From this guarantor they would need to provide; bank statements, annual earnings from the previous year and obviously be willing to take on full financial support in the unlikely event something goes wrong. We have guarantor's set up back in UK who are willing to do all this but I have read some very contradictory things; our guarantor must be in Spain to physically sign and some saying that we cannot use a guarantor at all.

Thank you both for the very quick reply; sadly this is all so confusing. :P
Old May 28th 2012, 12:24 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

We were told that due to not officially starting the job that we would need a guarantor. From this guarantor they would need to provide; bank statements, annual earnings from the previous year and obviously be willing to take on full financial support in the unlikely event something goes wrong. We have guarantor's set up back in UK who are willing to do all this but I have read some very contradictory things; our guarantor must be in Spain to physically sign and some saying that we cannot use a guarantor at all.

As a landlord in the Valencia region, I would happily accept a copy of the job offer with a copy of your acceptance to this offer.

There are so many properties for rent in Valencia that I can't really see that it's much of a problem, find another (and/or agent) that does not require this sort of proof.

It's a tenants market!!!!!
Old May 28th 2012, 12:42 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

hi from the France forum, where the same applies. The landlord wants to see three payslips to show that you've got through the trial period. The Guarantors must justify that their monthly INCOME (not the bank balance) is 4 times the rent, and provide all manner of documents to prove their own existence. French OH and myself are Guarantors for our daughters who are both living in Germany. We didn't have to go in person to sign the lease, but had to send all this documentation beforehand.
It seems that Continental Europe is applying the same rules - hope this helps!
Old May 28th 2012, 12:51 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Being a guarantor is quite an onerous responsibility and not one that I would do even for my own family. I would guess it would need to be signed in spain and witnessed by a notary?

As has been suggested, look for a.n.other property / more understanding agent / LL.

It is quite easy for tenants to obtain hooky salary documents and salary slips.
Old May 28th 2012, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

pixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nice

Have you been told this by different landlords or just one?! I viewed several apartments in valencia city last summer and was never asked for proof of income. In fact, I didnt even have a job at that time.
Old May 28th 2012, 3:57 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

I guess it's a sign of the times - although as snikpoh says there must be many other properties available without such requirements

in nearly 9 years here I've never been asked for proof of income though
Old May 28th 2012, 4:18 pm
I believe.

Grebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lynnxa
I guess it's a sign of the times - although as snikpoh says there must be many other properties available without such requirements

in nearly 9 years here I've never been asked for proof of income though

Me neither & we are both self employed.
Go else where.
And make sure you get a proper legal contract.

Suzi

Last edited by Grebo; May 28th 2012 at 4:20 pm.
Old May 28th 2012, 4:59 pm
Just Joined

Ah thank you VERY much. We are currently looking around else where now but not having THAT much luck as not many estate agents appear to speak good enough English. We are currently using Idealista but if anyone can suggest any other better ones that would be great!

Once again thank you everyone for clearing this up, makes me feel a lot more at ease!
Old May 28th 2012, 5:06 pm
Forum Regular

cymruambyth has a spectacular aura aboutcymruambyth has a spectacular aura aboutcymruambyth has a spectacular aura about

Can't you do a short term rent (for say 2-3 weeks, bit like a holiday!) and then sort out long term rental once you start your employment (in 2-3 weeks time)?
Old May 28th 2012, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

pixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nice

Ah thank you VERY much. We are currently looking around else where now but not having THAT much luck as not many estate agents appear to speak good enough English. We are currently using Idealista but if anyone can suggest any other better ones that would be great!

Once again thank you everyone for clearing this up, makes me feel a lot more at ease!
I used idealista, loquo.es and fotocasa.es, the estate agents were rubbish..not at all helpful! Good luck!
Old May 31st 2012, 5:08 am
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

When I came to Málaga for a job I was asked not only for proof of income but also for an aval bancario - the landlord wanted the year's rent deposited out of my reach as a guarantee.

I said no, thank you very much, I'd look for something else. He backed down. All I had was a letter offering me a job which I hadn't started yet.

There is no legal requirement to provide proof, it depends on the landlord, so just keep looking.
Old May 31st 2012, 6:50 am
Forum Regular

grahunt is just really nicegrahunt is just really nicegrahunt is just really nicegrahunt is just really nicegrahunt is just really nicegrahunt is just really nicegrahunt is just really nicegrahunt is just really nicegrahunt is just really nicegrahunt is just really nicegrahunt is just really nice

Agreed totally with RachelK. In the past it was easy to get an aval bancario, they mostly don't exist now. However landlords tend to be living in the past and do not see the changes that have taken place. They especially do not realize that for most foreigners coming into the country that a guarantor is impossible to get and yet the tenants who pay better are generally foreign.