Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Doctors in Spain

Doctors in Spain

Old May 10th 2010, 10:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Doctors in Spain

Originally Posted by Fred James
From the FCO website:-

In Spain, the EHIC covers:

• all medical care that becomes necessary during a temporary stay;
• oxygen and dialysis treatment, as well as treatment for chronic diseases or a pre-existing illness. You should inform healthcare authorities at your destination in Spain before you travel, to ensure that supplies are available;
• routine maternity care;
• 60% off prescriptions, and free prescriptions for pensioners (you may need to prove your pensioner status to get free prescriptions – see below).

The EHIC won’t cover you:

• if getting treatment is the main purpose of your trip. In this case you need to get permission from your UK local healthcare trust who will issue you with form E112;
• for long term, routine or planned treatment;
Do you think anyone has given the Doctors this information
Old May 11th 2010, 11:17 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by twistedmelon
Do you think anyone has given the Doctors this information
I have taken a few people on their holidays to A+E and they have been seen almost immediately, one was already on a drip when i returned from parking the car a couple of minutes later.
Old May 11th 2010, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

UKinSpain is just really niceUKinSpain is just really niceUKinSpain is just really niceUKinSpain is just really niceUKinSpain is just really niceUKinSpain is just really niceUKinSpain is just really niceUKinSpain is just really niceUKinSpain is just really niceUKinSpain is just really nice

Hi there!

I'm Sally from the British Embassy in Madrid. Fred James, it looks like you've already found our info helpful! As Spanish state healthcare entitlements work in a different way to UK state healthcare entitlements (mainly in the way that Spain runs on a contributions-based system and UK runs on a residence-based system), it's certainly worth checking where you stand before you need a doctor (great to see you thinking ahead!) These pages on our website should be able to clarify some of your doubts John:

http://ukinspain.fco.gov.uk/en/help-...ts/healthcare/

I hope you find the information you need. If not, remember we have Pension, Benefit and Healthcare advisors in the Consulates in Madrid, Malaga and Alicante.

Best wishes,

Sally
Old May 11th 2010, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

SHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by John Hopwood
Can anyone please advise. Have looked in the forum history but cannot find the answers.

We moved to Spain after living for nearly ten years in France and we are well past retirement age. We expect to start payng taxes here within the next month. At the moment we are covered by French Health cards (old E111's - can't remember the new number they use). Luckily, we are well now but the time will inevitably come when we need to see a doctor.

How do we register with a local doctor? Can anyone recommend a good one in Moraira/Teulada/Benissa areas? What are the procedures for visiting - or calling - a doctor here and are any available on a non-paying (i.e. some form of Health Service) or part payment schemes? Any help or advice very welcome as we don't want to be finding out these things when we actually need a doctor.
There is a French speaking doctor - Encarna Camarena Fuster - in Teulada. This is a National Health doctor, she used to work in Benitatxell.
Presumably you speak fluent French after 10 years in France.

Failing that, There is an English speaking doctor - Dra Maria Jose Juan Valero - in Benitatxell, this is also an NHS doctor.
Also, in Benitatxell in the NHS doctor's surgery the receptionist (Miguel) speaks fluent English and will advise you where and how to obtain your SIP card as pensionista. Just go there between 8am and 1pm with your E121.

Both these doctors are in my opinion very good (my experience).

Benissa is a different area from the Moraira/Teulada area. Benitatxell falls under Moraira/Teulada, the latter provides 24 hrs emergencia treatment.

As I do not know where you live you may have to decide for yourself which is the area that you belong to.
There is a NHS doctor's surgery in Benissa but I now nothing about them as it is a different area to the one I belong to.

As pensioners you will receive all treatment free as well as your prescriptions.
Good luck
Old May 14th 2010, 9:29 am
Account Closed

lunacrout is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by UKinSpain
Hi there!

I'm Sally from the British Embassy in Madrid. Fred James, it looks like you've already found our info helpful! As Spanish state healthcare entitlements work in a different way to UK state healthcare entitlements (mainly in the way that Spain runs on a contributions-based system and UK runs on a residence-based system), it's certainly worth checking where you stand before you need a doctor (great to see you thinking ahead!) These pages on our website should be able to clarify some of your doubts John:

I hope you find the information you need. If not, remember we have Pension, Benefit and Healthcare advisors in the Consulates in Madrid, Malaga and Alicante.

Best wishes,

Sally
Thank you Sally for the useful info & link - I've bookmarked it for future reference

Old May 14th 2010, 10:28 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UKinSpain
Hi there!

Best wishes,

Sally
Hi Sally,

Read the link with interest but am having problems agreeing with the last paragraph (I think) -

You are a child under the age of 18 and have no access to healthcare through your own or your parents means. This is called ‘La Ley de Minor’ and you apply through the social worker at your local health centre.

I have tried to get cover for my three children and have been told that (as extranjeros) unless we can prove financial hardship then we can't be covered under this law.

Is this correct? What should I do next?
Old May 18th 2010, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

UKinSpain is just really niceUKinSpain is just really niceUKinSpain is just really niceUKinSpain is just really niceUKinSpain is just really niceUKinSpain is just really niceUKinSpain is just really niceUKinSpain is just really niceUKinSpain is just really niceUKinSpain is just really nice

Hi,

The Ley de Menor option for covering healthcare is means-tested. This means that Spanish citizens as well as non-Spanish citizens would be required to provide some proof of their finances in order to apply. In the first instance you should apply through the social worker at your local health centre. You may like to phone our Pensions, Benefits and Healthcare advisors in Alicante as they will be able to give you more information according to your particular situation. Their number is 965 21 60 22, then you will need to choose options 1 and 4 on the phone.

I hope you get it all sorted.

Best wishes.