Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Do you want to vote in the UK?

Do you want to vote in the UK?

Old May 8th 2022, 7:33 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you want to vote in the UK?

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
I do not at present live in the UK and therefore do not believe I need the right to vote there.
I left of my own free choice.

I now vote in my country of residence.
I agree with you, when we lived in Australia I voted for the MP’s of that country as that was what mattered to my way of life whilst living there. I would no more of voted for MP’s in the UK (whilst living in Australia) than I would of flown to the moon, why meddle in someone else’s lives when you live in another country? I am an Australian citizen (as well a British) and now I live in the UK as much as I retain a huge fondness for Australia I do not live there so I would not vote (not sure I can anyway).
Old May 8th 2022, 10:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

I guess that depends upon one's personal situation . The proposal isn't to make it compulsory to vote it's offering one the option. Here in Spain my understanding is as a British National resident in Spain I can only vote in local elections not national elections ? To vote in National Elections one must obtain citizenship. Also I pay by a long way the majority of my income tax to the UK due to the types of pensions I have. So my view is if the UK Government take my money why shouldn't o have a right to vote as to who I think is the party I wish to spend the money I pay them. I also still own a property in the UK which I rent out and pay tax on to the UK . A government may intend to implement changes for those in this position, they are considering at the moment implementing compulsory letting of business premises for instance. So again if they take my tax why shouldn't I have an opportunity to vote for those that may be spending the money I pay and could directly influence my personal situation? Look how the Brexit vote directly affected those of us resident on the EU yet we had no say in it whatsoever. It's obviously down to individual choice but if passed there will be no obligation to vote it's an option.
Old May 8th 2022, 11:11 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I agree for those of us who live in Spain but have a stake in the UK ie investments, property, pension income etc I think it is right that we can vote in the UK to protect our situation.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-in-spain#voting
Old May 9th 2022, 7:19 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spainrico
Yes, I agree for those of us who live in Spain but have a stake in the UK ie investments, property, pension income etc I think it is right that we can vote in the UK to protect our situation.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-in-spain#voting
I believe the UK has an agreement with the EU to pay pensions whilst living in the EU and has the same “rate” increase as any UK eligible pension age person and rightly so if you have paid “into the system” as for investments though as my Aussie friend said to me “tough it was your choice to move” (said a lot more than that and very bluntly lol)this was when I mentioned about the first elections in the UK not long after migrating to Aus and I actually agreed it was selfish of me to leave the uk to move overseas and want to vote just for financial reasons when it may effect people actually living in the UK that’s not morally right.
Old May 9th 2022, 9:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
I believe the UK has an agreement with the EU to pay pensions whilst living in the EU and has the same “rate” increase as any UK eligible pension age person and rightly so if you have paid “into the system” as for investments though as my Aussie friend said to me “tough it was your choice to move” (said a lot more than that and very bluntly lol)this was when I mentioned about the first elections in the UK not long after migrating to Aus and I actually agreed it was selfish of me to leave the uk to move overseas and want to vote just for financial reasons when it may effect people actually living in the UK that’s not morally right.
If the pension you receive is a government pension for instance military, police civil service etc one does not have the option of where they pay tax it must be paid in the UK. If one rents out a UK property then that is taxed in the UK. Renting out property isn't always simply investment as one may well be at some point planning to move back later in life so its a safeguard. I don't see how it's selfish at all as government decisions may well affect someone paying UK tax directly. The post asks the question do you want to vote in the UK? Some have replied they do and given reasons some have said they don't wish to. Everyone's view is different.

Last edited by bobd22; May 9th 2022 at 10:42 am.
Old May 9th 2022, 11:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bobd22
If the pension you receive is a government pension for instance military, police civil service etc one does not have the option of where they pay tax it must be paid in the UK. If one rents out a UK property then that is taxed in the UK. Renting out property isn't always simply investment as one may well be at some point planning to move back later in life so its a safeguard. I don't see how it's selfish at all as government decisions may well affect someone paying UK tax directly. The post asks the question do you want to vote in the UK? Some have replied they do and given reasons some have said they don't wish to. Everyone's view is different.
Of course everyone has a right to an opinion my husband has a “forces” pension and we have a home in the UK we do not rent out but I still would not vote if I lived overseas just for financial gain as most people who live normal day to day lives and still pay taxes, NI and actually work in the UK (as I do now) would think votes from overseas persons (NON residents)is not right as my Aussie friend also said quite bluntly “all these wingers if they don’t like it here and fully settle into our way of life they should f__k o_f” I was shocked but in all honesty I could see his point of view, nobody made us leave the UK and if the new country is so fab shouldn’t we all invest our money into the countries that are providing us with a new way of life?
Old May 9th 2022, 11:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by brits1
Of course everyone has a right to an opinion my husband has a “forces” pension and we have a home in the UK we do not rent out but I still would not vote if I lived overseas just for financial gain as most people who live normal day to day lives and still pay taxes, NI and actually work in the UK (as I do now) would think votes from overseas persons (NON residents)is not right as my Aussie friend also said quite bluntly “all these wingers if they don’t like it here and fully settle into our way of life they should f__k o_f” I was shocked but in all honesty I could see his point of view, nobody made us leave the UK and if the new country is so fab shouldn’t we all invest our money into the countries that are providing us with a new way of life?
Your aussie friend is entitled of course to hold that view on people coming to Australia. You say financial gain? Well sort of but just take a look at changes in state pension rules say over the last 15 years. All brought in by the government of the day which directly affect UK tax payer living in the EU. It wouldn't affect those ex pats in Australia of course as their state pension is frozen. I pay tax to both UK and Spain due to having two UK crown pensions I would say I pay 90% of my income tax to UK and 10% to Spain. I am resident in Spain but not a Spanish citizen I am a British only citizen. One other huge factor that affected those in my position was Brexit where we were badly affected but not given any opportunity to have a vote on the matter. Which in reality wasn't just a UK issue but an issue for those that had taken the opportunity to relocate in the EU under EU rules. Yes we ended up with protections under the WA but it was a very uncertain time before we knew that. So if the UK offer me the opportunity of voting in UK General Elections I would take that as it would give me a very miniscule sense of having a say on who should control the not miniscule amount of tax I pay to the UK. The post asks do I want to vote in the UK I do the change isn't to force anyone if its against one's principles then don't vote but that's not what the post asks. I would add that when I relocated to Spain I was aware I had voting rights for 15 years only and accepted that as a consequence of my decision. I would guess you accepted the consequences of your move to Australia re voting pensions etc. However the British Government through no intervention of mine are considering offering people like me a permenant right to vote in the UK. I think that's good you clearly don't, let's see what the UK government decide.
Old May 9th 2022, 11:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Maybe the post should have been a simple yes or no poll? I say that as there are so many people would want to retain a vote and no doubt as many that think they shouldn't on the forum. The post does just ask "Do you want to vote in the UK" which is really yes or no.
Old May 10th 2022, 11:11 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
Maybe the post should have been a simple yes or no poll? .
This is a forum for discussion. Y / N vote would serve little purpose. Westminster government is hardly likely to note or care.

I think it is important to understand why the Tories are raising this issue at this time?

Last edited by missile; May 10th 2022 at 11:25 am.
Old May 10th 2022, 12:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
This is a forum for discussion. I think it is important to understand why the Tories are raising this issue at this time?
I have not seen an explanation from the government on the timing perhaps you cold enlighten me!
Old May 10th 2022, 12:59 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EsuriJohn
I have not seen an explanation from the government on the timing perhaps you cold enlighten me!
Thankfully, I am not privy to Tory party policy <LOL>.

I suggest:
  • Ex pats who left UK 15+ years ago will be older.
  • Voting demographics show more golden oldies vote Tory.
  • See my post #3
As Joppa suggested:
  • Timing could be to negate the growing independence sentiment in Scotland and NI.
  • Ex pats are more likely to vote for the union.

Last edited by missile; May 10th 2022 at 1:02 pm.
Old May 10th 2022, 6:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

This is a forum for discussion. Y / N vote would serve little purpose. Westminster government is hardly likely to note or care.

I think it is important to understand why the Tories are raising this issue at this time?
The post is a question, do you really think the Westminster Government are going to read or care what's on this forum?
Old May 10th 2022, 8:09 pm
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

Well, it's going to come in before 2024, this government only changes something if they think it's going to help them, and that's probably all there is to it.
Old May 11th 2022, 7:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by DLC
Well, it's going to come in before 2024, this government only changes something if they think it's going to help them, and that's probably all there is to it.
That is the same with every government lol
Old May 11th 2022, 8:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I thought it was Cameron that first brought this up around 2015? Didn't do him a lot of good

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.