Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Do you have to prove you renounced UK citizenship?

Do you have to prove you renounced UK citizenship?

Old Jul 2nd 2016, 1:56 pm
Just Joined

FrederickHere is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do you have to prove you renounced UK citizenship?

Hello

I've landed here because of Brexit

There are quite few threads on taking Spanish citizenship but I've not found anyone explaining their first-hand experience of the effect on their UK citizenship.

I'm British, my father was Spanish and I am planning on visiting my local consulate (in France) to request citizenship by origin "por opción" rather than via residency as I'd like to remain an EU citizen and stay in France.

It's clear from the application form that I would be required to renounce my UK citizenship. Does anyone have any experience of this? Do the Spanish authorities ask for proof of renunciation?

A lot of sources on the web suggest it's not possible to renounce UK citizenship, but that's not true. You just have to fill in something called Form RN - here is the link https://www.gov.uk/renounce-british-...ality/overview

If any other Brits with a Spanish parent have experience of this, it would be great to hear how it works.

Cheers, Fred
Old Jul 2nd 2016, 2:05 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you have to prove you renounced UK citizenship?

From what you said, that your father was Spanish, you appear to be Spanish by origin, and there exempt from the prohibition on dual nationality. The prohibition on dual nationality applies to those who acquire Spanish citizenship.

Check here, the sections on Spanish Nationality by Origin and on Dual Citizenship.
Old Jul 2nd 2016, 3:58 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FrederickHere
Hello

I've landed here because of Brexit

There are quite few threads on taking Spanish citizenship but I've not found anyone explaining their first-hand experience of the effect on their UK citizenship.

I'm British, my father was Spanish and I am planning on visiting my local consulate (in France) to request citizenship by origin "por opción" rather than via residency as I'd like to remain an EU citizen and stay in France.

It's clear from the application form that I would be required to renounce my UK citizenship. Does anyone have any experience of this? Do the Spanish authorities ask for proof of renunciation?

A lot of sources on the web suggest it's not possible to renounce UK citizenship, but that's not true. You just have to fill in something called Form RN - here is the link https://www.gov.uk/renounce-british-...ality/overview

If any other Brits with a Spanish parent have experience of this, it would be great to hear how it works.

Cheers, Fred
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jul 2nd 2016, 5:00 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
From what you said, that your father was Spanish, you appear to be Spanish by origin, and there exempt from the prohibition on dual nationality. The prohibition on dual nationality applies to those who acquire Spanish citizenship.

Check here, the sections on Spanish Nationality by Origin and on Dual Citizenship.
Thank you very much for your reply. It looks like you may be right. Next stop, the Consulate.
Old Jul 2nd 2016, 5:00 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rosemary
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Thanks very much!
Old Jul 2nd 2016, 5:03 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FrederickHere
Thank you very much for your reply. It looks like you may be right. Next stop, the Consulate.
You're welcome. Good luck.