Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Do we change NIEs?

Do we change NIEs?

Old Sep 19th 2018, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

tortis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Do we change NIEs?

Thank you very much to all the people who bothered to answer my question. I think I got it, we do not need to change anything until we are 5 years in Spain.
Old Sep 19th 2018, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

Stillgame has a reputation beyond reputeStillgame has a reputation beyond reputeStillgame has a reputation beyond reputeStillgame has a reputation beyond reputeStillgame has a reputation beyond reputeStillgame has a reputation beyond reputeStillgame has a reputation beyond reputeStillgame has a reputation beyond reputeStillgame has a reputation beyond reputeStillgame has a reputation beyond reputeStillgame has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Why did you update your NIE certificate? It never needs to be updated - it lasts forever.
In that case my NIE appointment with the National Police in Elche this morning was an aberration, as was the advice from my Abogado who's being dealing with expat issues for over 25 years.
No doubt my new updated certificate is equally fictitious.
I obviously went through the process just to kill some time.

BTW The National Police representative was very aware of why I needed the updated NIE - which in my case was for a major purchase (car).
Old Sep 19th 2018, 12:47 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stillgame
In that case my NIE appointment with the National Police in Elche this morning was an aberration, as was the advice from my Abogado who's being dealing with expat issues for over 25 years.
No doubt my new updated certificate is equally fictitious.
I obviously went through the process just to kill some time.

BTW The National Police representative was very aware of why I needed the updated NIE - which in my case was for a major purchase (car).
When I bought my new car the only certificate that I needed to be fairly recent was my Padron, my NIE certificate was gained in 2004 and the Residencia certificate was obtained in 2006 and neither needed to be updated for the transaction.

Rosemary
Old Sep 19th 2018, 12:49 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Are you non resident?

I know that if you are resident, you have to produce a Padron certificate issued less than 90 days ago. Presumably non residents do not have one, so a "fresh" NIE is the requirement.
Old Sep 19th 2018, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure what you mean by updated NIE certificate. NIE is just a number like national insurance it never changes or is updated. However your certificate that shows you are on the foreigners register( which is a small green card) can be updated after you have had it for 5 years. You just get a new card
Old Sep 19th 2018, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute

If your NIE wasn't updated. Your details ( address length of stay, etc) might be changed and a new card issued but there is no change to NIE. N equals numero
Old Sep 19th 2018, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

Stillgame has a reputation beyond reputeStillgame has a reputation beyond reputeStillgame has a reputation beyond reputeStillgame has a reputation beyond reputeStillgame has a reputation beyond reputeStillgame has a reputation beyond reputeStillgame has a reputation beyond reputeStillgame has a reputation beyond reputeStillgame has a reputation beyond reputeStillgame has a reputation beyond reputeStillgame has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
Are you non resident?

I know that if you are resident, you have to produce a Padron certificate issued less than 90 days ago. Presumably non residents do not have one, so a "fresh" NIE is the requirement.
Thanks Fred. That's exactly how it was explained to me. Note that I am non resident.

t seems that NIE certificates changed sometime after mine was issued in 1997, so more recent ones are acceptable documents. As I mentioned, my NIE number has not changed, just an updated certificate.
Old Sep 19th 2018, 1:17 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tortis
Thank you very much to all the people who bothered to answer my question. I think I got it, we do not need to change anything until we are 5 years in Spain.
You don't even need to do anything after 5 years UNLESS you choose to - quite optional.

Originally Posted by Stillgame
In that case my NIE appointment with the National Police in Elche this morning was an aberration clearly not, as was the advice from my Abogado who's being dealing with expat issues for over 25 years. he's simply wrong
No doubt my new updated certificate is equally fictitious. how stupid, of course it isn't
I obviously went through the process just to kill some time. absolutely, but that's your choice!

You did NOT need an updated NIE certificate as they aren't even dated (AFAIK) - mine isn't. Even non-residents don't (at least not around here).
Old Sep 19th 2018, 1:19 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Are you non resident?

You certainly do NOT need a padron certificate to register a vehicle. The officials like you to have one because it's easier for them but it is not mandatory. Any proof of address will do.

How can you tell if an NIE certificate is "fresh"?
Old Sep 19th 2018, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

You don't even need to do anything after 5 years UNLESS you choose to - quite optional.

You did NOT need an updated NIE certificate as they aren't even dated (AFAIK) - mine isn't. Even non-residents don't (at least not around here).
What Fred said a few posts back is exactly what I was advised. I know of non residents who have needed to update their old type NIE certificate to purchase a car.
As I said, the National Police themselves have a procedure for NIE cert updates - presumably not something they've dreamt up for no reason.
Seems that people need to check requirements themselves, before blindly accepting what some on here say. Thanks for your input but I don't intend to prolong this debate.
Old Sep 19th 2018, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

And I thought my OH was moody
Old Sep 19th 2018, 3:53 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

You certainly do NOT need a padron certificate to register a vehicle. The officials like you to have one because it's easier for them but it is not mandatory. Any proof of address will do.

How can you tell if an NIE certificate is "fresh"?
It depends on the Trafico office. In Malaga they insist on it. My non resident neighbour wanted to buy a car from a friend of mine and it was absolutely impossible to do the transfer without a Padron. It was handled by a gestor personally with Trafico and the sale fell through as a result. I checked with my gestor and he confirmed that to be the case.

For your information, NIE certificates are now issued with a date on them. The procedure to produce an up to date certificate, NIE or Padron, is now well established.
Old Sep 20th 2018, 5:54 am
Retired and loving it!

It depends on the Trafico office. In Malaga they insist on it. My non resident neighbour wanted to buy a car from a friend of mine and it was absolutely impossible to do the transfer without a Padron. It was handled by a gestor personally with Trafico and the sale fell through as a result. I checked with my gestor and he confirmed that to be the case.

For your information, NIE certificates are now issued with a date on them. The procedure to produce an up to date certificate, NIE or Padron, is now well established.
Thanks. Whilst I accept every office seems to be different, how can a non-resident buy a car if they are required to have a padron? A padron is ONLY for people who habitually live in the area (or intend to be).

I've never seen an NIE certificate with a date - must be quite recent. I'll look out for one (or maybe that's regional too)
Old Sep 20th 2018, 6:18 am

If a NR wants to buy a car and Trafico insist on a Padron, almost every town hall is happy to sign anyone onto the Padron, irrespective of residency as it is in their interests. In the case I mentioned there were complications that meant the person did not wish to sign on.
Old Sep 20th 2018, 6:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

This will cause real problems in Huelva Province. There is one office for the whole Province in Huelva city center the great weight of applications are from seasonal interant North African fruit workers. Third country and EU are much in the minority and do get pushed to one side. Of course most do get their green card for temporary or permanent residency but it is not easy as we have personal experience.

If all those non-permanent residents now have to keep going back for renewals it’s going to increase an already overloaded office and there are lots of them since the Costa del la Luz is very popular as a holiday home destination for discerning north Europeans.

Fred will this also apply to those EU Citizens with a permanent residence card as well?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.