Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Do UK phones work in Spain?

Do UK phones work in Spain?

Old Nov 6th 2007, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

jimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nice
Default Do UK phones work in Spain?

Hi,
We are both hard of hearing and have phones that have bells, also the speech can be amplified. So would like to bring them with us?
Old Nov 6th 2007, 3:33 pm
MnM
luna~sea..its a lifestyle

MnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do UK phones work in Spain?

Yes, they should work fine here.
Old Nov 6th 2007, 4:08 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimmbo
Hi,
We are both hard of hearing and have phones that have bells, also the speech can be amplified. So would like to bring them with us?
AFAIK UK phones have a different cable to Spanish ones, those for BT lines will NOT work as the number of wires is different. You can get amplification ones here though.
Old Nov 6th 2007, 5:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Solarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mikelincs
AFAIK UK phones have a different cable to Spanish ones, those for BT lines will NOT work as the number of wires is different. You can get amplification ones here though.
Mine didnt work, but I am on thre Tracks system
Old Nov 6th 2007, 6:33 pm
MnM
luna~sea..its a lifestyle

MnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond repute

Ours was a Panasonic and worked fine.

A link with a reference point.....

http://www.spain4uk.co.uk/retiring_guide/electrics.htm

Oooppssssss copyright issues so can't copy/paste.....best just follow the link and look for Telephones, Modems & Faxes

Last edited by MnM; Nov 6th 2007 at 6:36 pm.
Old Nov 7th 2007, 5:12 pm
Click my Signature

sjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to all

I presume spanish telephones use the same wires as uk ones. Coming in there are just two wires, 50 volts, which are connected to pins 2 and 5. Shouldnt matter wich way round but in uk its usually the blue/white wire to pin 2 and the white/blue to pin 5. If its the same pins in spain (and i cant really see them being any different - it would cost a lot in terms of globalisation...) then just buy a spanish cable to connect you to their system. It will fit into the socket on the telephone.

Who cares what the colours are as long as there are two wires carrying 50 volts and coming onto the right pins in the apparatus; and they must make their cables to take the line to those pins. The worst that can happen is that it doesnt work and you have to get a new telephone. I would try it first - cables are cheap enough. if you do any extensions then in uk we use the orange wire for the bell, going onto pin 3 in the back of the socket. I havent looked in the back of spanish ones yet...

And when you do, let us all know. We use a skype phone, as we cant get Telefonica to give us a line yet. We just have a wireless connection. So make the most of it.

Last edited by sjrw; Nov 7th 2007 at 5:14 pm.
Old Nov 8th 2007, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

jimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nice

Thanks everyone for help/advice. I don't mind taking the back off things, as sjrw says, there is only two wires.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

esurigolf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sjrw
I presume spanish telephones use the same wires as uk ones. Coming in there are just two wires, 50 volts, .....
It is 5 volts, in UK and in SPAIN