Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Do not buy in Spain at this time.

Do not buy in Spain at this time.

Old Dec 29th 2011, 11:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do not buy in Spain at this time.

Originally Posted by Hillybilly

I also sold one of my houses this month (well, fingers crossed ). It's been on the market for nearly 2 years and I have reduced the asking price by around 40% in that time. I am now selling it for exactly what I paid for it at the beginning of 2007...unfortunately I spent around 50k on it so am making a big loss. But, it's been fun working on the house for the last 5 years, it's not my main home, I have no mortgages and I'm not leaving Spain, it's just that my plans have changed. It's a cash buyer (English) who seems to love the house as much as I do/did and so we have struck a deal that suits us both. I even threw in a vehicle to clinch the sale. I took the view that I would rather have the money in my pocket to "do" something with rather than have it sat in the form of a house I no longer wanted.

If you can pair up motivated sellers and motivated buyers to whom the bottom line isn't the be all and end all then sales CAN be achieved, even now.
Good for you, I'm sure you're right, and you did what was needed to get a sale, even it involved a big loss, but I'm guessing not many, especially the Spanish, are prepared to take that much of a loss to secure a sale. And of course, unless they are desperate to sell, there's no reason why they should, they'll happily sit it out until the good times return! Whenever that might be!
Old Dec 29th 2011, 12:29 pm
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
Good for you, I'm sure you're right, and you did what was needed to get a sale, even it involved a big loss, but I'm guessing not many, especially the Spanish, are prepared to take that much of a loss to secure a sale. And of course, unless they are desperate to sell, there's no reason why they should, they'll happily sit it out until the good times return! Whenever that might be!
I've come across Spanish vendors who, in the last few months, have actually INCREASED their asking prices
Old Dec 29th 2011, 12:52 pm
Im a 77 year old nutcase

tommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond repute

Really? Can't imagine where that is? £120k for a bungalow in the good times doesn't sound very palatial! I can assure you it can't be much of a place for £50k!
Its in Porto Rico.. prices are dropping as people are going back to the UK... lets wait and see whats happens when the Euro dies..
Old Dec 29th 2011, 1:11 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

Have you seen some of the stunning properties for sale in America at ridiculous prices?
Old Dec 29th 2011, 1:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

casa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond repute

Really? Can't imagine where that is? £120k for a bungalow in the good times doesn't sound very palatial! I can assure you it can't be much of a place for £50k!
...it can, you can buy a nice little low cost, safe, lock up and leave, low maintenance freehold for that in a nice area within a scenic hours drive from the south coast of sun....only hand luggage required.
Old Dec 29th 2011, 1:21 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Property has always been much cheaper in US of A, now it is ridiculously cheap. Nice to visit, not sure I would like to live there
Old Dec 29th 2011, 2:12 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I bought my present house in Spain in 1998, with a proportion of 'black' money and all the rest of the nonsense that was prevalent at the time. I enquired two years ago about a sideways move in Spain but gave up when my lawyer pointed out all the illegalities involved both in selling and buying the next one. (Both houses were built many years ago and are 'legal' on the surface until you enquire about the many extensions built over the years).

Since I hope to stay in Spain, it doesn't matter all that much, but things could change drastically if the Euro collapses, as well it might.

To get back to the original discussion, every indicator points to a further fall in Spanish property prices, and I don't think it's valid to say that you're buying to live and are not speculating; that goes without saying in the present climate - the speculators have long left - but the choice of just living in Spain could be severely curtailed if the Eurozone collapses, or the UK leaves the EU.
Old Dec 29th 2011, 2:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by casa del sol
...it can, you can buy a nice little low cost, safe, lock up and leave, low maintenance freehold for that in a nice area within a scenic hours drive from the south coast of sun....only hand luggage required.
I assume they are talking about UK, but whether Spain or UK, even in these times, IMHO £50k doesn't buy you much. Not even something I'd like to holiday in, much less live in.
People here are going back to the UK to live.. 120,000 Bunglow has dropped to 49,000.
Old Dec 29th 2011, 2:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

casa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
I bought my present house in Spain in 1998, with a proportion of 'black' money and all the rest of the nonsense that was prevalent at the time. I enquired two years ago about a sideways move in Spain but gave up when my lawyer pointed out all the illegalities involved both in selling and buying the next one. (Both houses were built many years ago and are 'legal' on the surface until you enquire about the many extensions built over the years).

Since I hope to stay in Spain, it doesn't matter all that much, but things could change drastically if the Euro collapses, as well it might.

To get back to the original discussion, every indicator points to a further fall in Spanish property prices, and I don't think it's valid to say that you're buying to live and are not speculating; that goes without saying in the present climate - the speculators have long left - but the choice of just living in Spain could be severely curtailed if the Eurozone collapses, or the UK leaves the EU.
So do you think if you are going to buy or if you need to sell living in a prominently Spanish area with good infrastructure, schools, hospitals, trains etc will be a better buy and easier to sell than a new urbanisation estate type golf course area, built for holiday use and other Europeans to live?
Old Dec 29th 2011, 2:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

I assume they are talking about UK, but whether Spain or UK, even in these times, IMHO £50k doesn't buy you much. Not even something I'd like to holiday in, much less live in.
....You can buy something quite nice for that plus taxes, a refurbished town house with roof terrace, all new electrics and plumbing, wood burning stove in some beautiful countryside...bit of a bolt hole, an adequate basic home that meets all needs with local shops, bars, church etc within walkable distance....they are about, it is just a matter of looking for them.
Old Dec 29th 2011, 2:41 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by casa del sol
So do you think if you are going to buy or if you need to sell living in a prominently Spanish area with good infrastructure, schools, hospitals, trains etc will be a better buy and easier to sell than a new urbanisation estate type golf course area, built for holiday use and other Europeans to live?
I would refer you to the post by JLFS, a fellow Spaniard. Personally I don't live on a new urbanisation, nor in a predominantly Spanish area, so i can't really answer your question.
Old Dec 29th 2011, 2:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Some interesting points since my last comment, thing is if you go back to posts on here say to May 2007 they were all positive (if I remember rightly one guy I believe possibly Spanish was warning of not buying as you would lose a lot of money) he was slated on here. Thing is the world has changed in 4 years this would appear to be the worst and most widespread recession in our time only similar downturn was the depression in the 30's but the world is not like it was in the 30's. Other thing that has made the whole thing worse for us in Europe in or out of the Eurozone is the Euro. What happens with that will be big change for us all, if countries leave which ones, could countries as big as Spain leave it? Hillbilly mentions that mainly Dutch German Scandinavians buying no surprise there least affected so far (could change though) they have the Euro and so far not the austerity many EU Countries including UK are suffering. I was chatting with a friend on facebook who has lived in Germany for years he says the Germans are sick of this Euro mess and having to prop up the Med countries. Sooner or later the Euro crisis will be brought to an end but nobody knows how or when that will be.
Old Dec 29th 2011, 2:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HBG
I would refer you to the post by JLFS, a fellow Spaniard. Personally I don't live on a new urbanisation, nor in a predominantly Spanish area, so i can't really answer your question.
..thanks, I read what he had to say that there is a glut of housing in all areas meaning that nothing will be easy to sell, partly because there are fewer buyers, the banks are not lending, and property in no longer the investment it once was.

As established purpose built Spanish homes in Spanish areas have in the most part been cheaper to buy than coastal and new build homes that catered for the foreign market and pocket, when times are harder the cheaper property, where you get more for your money in the not so expensive areas may be easier to sell....as long as the sun keeps shining.
Old Dec 29th 2011, 3:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bobd22
Some interesting points since my last comment, thing is if you go back to posts on here say to May 2007 they were all positive (if I remember rightly one guy I believe possibly Spanish was warning of not buying as you would lose a lot of money) he was slated on here. Thing is the world has changed in 4 years this would appear to be the worst and most widespread recession in our time only similar downturn was the depression in the 30's but the world is not like it was in the 30's. Other thing that has made the whole thing worse for us in Europe in or out of the Eurozone is the Euro. What happens with that will be big change for us all, if countries leave which ones, could countries as big as Spain leave it? Hillbilly mentions that mainly Dutch German Scandinavians buying no surprise there least affected so far (could change though) they have the Euro and so far not the austerity many EU Countries including UK are suffering. I was chatting with a friend on facebook who has lived in Germany for years he says the Germans are sick of this Euro mess and having to prop up the Med countries. Sooner or later the Euro crisis will be brought to an end but nobody knows how or when that will be.
Do you think the Spanish want to go back to their own currency? Even today many products in the shops have both the equivalent Euro and Peseta price. One Spaniard I spoke to seems to think it is a real possibility. It would make property cheaper to buy, the pound worth more and the tourist industry would start to boom again, it would also be good for their export industry.
Old Dec 29th 2011, 3:06 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

Anyway so what if they aren't selling, property is so cheap now if you wanted to move you could just buy another anyway

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.