Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

DIY outlets/ Garden centres?

DIY outlets/ Garden centres?

Old Jan 24th 2007, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

Compost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really nice
Default DIY outlets/ Garden centres?

I'm hoping that there are some in the Malaga area, in fact I'm sure I passed one as I was being ferried around by the agent. Are they similar to those in the UK or are they 'trade' only? How are they pricewise?
Old Jan 24th 2007, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

Big_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really nice
Default Re: DIY outlets/ Garden centres?

Originally Posted by Brenda Teather
I'm hoping that there are some in the Malaga area, in fact I'm sure I passed one as I was being ferried around by the agent. Are they similar to those in the UK or are they 'trade' only? How are they pricewise?
Hi,

When you leave Alhaurin if you come down to Monda then on down the hill to Marbella you will come to a roundabout, go right around it and take the 3rd exit , at which point there is another roundabout take the3rd exit into Al Campo at which point in there on your right is a Leroy Merlin D.I.Y. shop.

Or from Alhaurin going towards Malaga is another one just before you cross the N340 going North + I think that there is also one in Fuengirola now.

Have fun.

Big_john Spain
Old Jan 25th 2007, 7:52 am
Forum Regular

Compost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really nice

Thanks very much, nice to know that they are available. Once I move over I can have a good look around and see where everything is.
Old Jan 25th 2007, 11:24 am
BE Enthusiast

pete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond repute

Here are a few price pointers that may help you.
On the gardening front, I have found ornamental and fruit trees to be
quite cheap. I paid 15 - 20 euro each for some lemon, orange and fig
trees. Sadly they all died due to lack of water while I was away

So far as DIY goes, wood seems to be a lot more expensive. I was in Leroy
Merlin (big DIY chain) the other day and found sheets of plywood are about
70 euro each c.f. £20 in the UK. Wooden fence posts seemed to be much
more expensive.
The moral seems to be that doing things the spanish way, with spanish
materials is cheaper than trying to keep british methods and techniques
and using stuff you may be familiar with, but are scare in spain.

Pete
Old Jan 25th 2007, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

chrisd is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pete_l
Here are a few price pointers that may help you.
On the gardening front, I have found ornamental and fruit trees to be
quite cheap. I paid 15 - 20 euro each for some lemon, orange and fig
trees. Sadly they all died due to lack of water while I was away

So far as DIY goes, wood seems to be a lot more expensive. I was in Leroy
Merlin (big DIY chain) the other day and found sheets of plywood are about
70 euro each c.f. £20 in the UK. Wooden fence posts seemed to be much
more expensive.
The moral seems to be that doing things the spanish way, with spanish
materials is cheaper than trying to keep british methods and techniques
and using stuff you may be familiar with, but are scare in spain.

Pete
Not quite as many DIY outlets as in the UK...Leroy Merlin in both Malaga and Marbella, AKI in Malaga and Mijas Costa and Bauhaus just near Malaga Airport. For garden centres, I´d recommend going inland. I live quite close to Fuengirola but always go to Viveros Guzman in Alhaurin de la Torre.. just find both plants, equipment and trees much cheaper. Pricewise, flat pack furniture is more expensive and so is most material. Good news which I was reading in Spanish Sur a couple of days ago that over the next few years in the Malaga province, they´ll be opening up to 8 Ikea stores, first one scheduled for next year.