everyday life

Old Jan 25th 2007, 3:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Surrey to Perth and back to Surrey & Back again, Why why why
sandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to behold
Default everyday life

Hi all,

It is now looking more likely that we will be leaving Australia and moving to Spain with my OH working in Gibraltar, I myself am a little scared just because I don't know what to expect, as I have been so homesick and unhappy here in Perth I am so worried I will feel the same in Spain, although I will be able to see family and friends which I have not been able to do here.

We will most likely be looking at the Sotogrande, San Roque, areas I think.just as the costa del la luz will be to far for him to travel to work.

My questions are

What is everyday life like in Spain?

How would I go about enrolling my Son into school, he will be 4 when we get there.

What do stay at home mums do during the day, Ie: is there any toddler groups, play areas, mums meets etc

What about weekends with kids other than the beach.

I have always thought of Spain as a holiday destination so can not visualize what my everyday life would be like.

Hope this does not sound to stupid

Sandra
Old Jan 25th 2007, 7:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Mrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: everyday life

Originally Posted by sandrainaus
Hi all,

It is now looking more likely that we will be leaving Australia and moving to Spain with my OH working in Gibraltar, I myself am a little scared just because I don't know what to expect, as I have been so homesick and unhappy here in Perth I am so worried I will feel the same in Spain, although I will be able to see family and friends which I have not been able to do here.

We will most likely be looking at the Sotogrande, San Roque, areas I think.just as the costa del la luz will be to far for him to travel to work.

My questions are

How would I go about enrolling my Son into school, he will be 4 when we get there.

What do stay at home mums do during the day, Ie: is there any toddler groups, play areas, mums meets etc

I have always thought of Spain as a holiday destination so can not visualize what my everyday life would be like.

Sandra

Hiya,

We live in the Valencia region, so not sure if it will be the same for you.....but here's some info :

I also have a son who will be 4 next month....(and a 2 year old little diva).

My day is made up of school runs.....9am-12pm then 3pm - 5pm. Inbetween collect my daughter from nursery at 1pm ....both have a nap before my son goes to school in the avo.

The usual.......sweeping, mopping, usual chores, cooking !!!!!!!

No toddler groups in my area, gutted about that, but now they are old enough to go to school and nursey thats not a problem anymore.

All their friends at school/nursery are Spanish....bar a few. they are adjusting better than us to the language barrier which is fab.

There are many parks for the children to go after school, whether its winter or summer. And the beaches is where most families go in the summer on a weekend.

The lifestyle lhere in Spain is more aid back but you still have normal chores to do. We find as a family we get out more here than in the UK...due to the weather and the cost. It's fab.....for us it's the best move!

About enrolling your son in a school, we were helped by the company that we bought our house through... www.parasolnetworks.com....
We asked what schools were in the area, they told us, when we got there, they went with us to the Town Hall with our details...I think it was verification of our address....and at that time there was only 1 place left....phew...so we took the place, all done so simple.

Luckily for us, when we went to view the school and meet the teachers, we were impressed and have not felt the need to try to enrol Sam into another school next term.

Hope this helps, rushing a bit now as need to get on......a womans work is never done eh?

Hope it works out for you......

Oh BTW I'm not at all home sick.....in our first 7 months ....we have 15 friends come over to visit.......cheap and quick flights !!! Booked to the hilt again this year.....seeing more friends now I've moved away

Take care
Old Jan 25th 2007, 8:14 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

We are also in the Valencia region, not far from Mrs E.

When we moved here we made a point of keeping our days as much as we did in England, as its all to easy to think you are on holiday rather than living here.

We do though spend time walking on the beach, we often pop down to the town for coffee in the morning and we tend to shop a lot more than we did at home because we are buying fresh all the time rather than frozen. Big market on Fridays for veggies.

Its fair to say that everything that was easy at home is often more complicated here and takes longer to achieve, mainly because of the language barrier.

Once you're over the initial organisation of health, car registration and all the mundane things though life here is pretty relaxed and as my Spanish neighbour keeps saying to me when I begin to get stressed over something not happening as quickly as I like ....... manyana!
Old Jan 25th 2007, 9:30 am
this is me

gallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sandrainaus
Hi all,

My questions are

Sandra
I have a friend who's husband works in Gib, she lives near me.
there are lots of expats in the area of Gib in the towns you are talking about and they have a good social network.
Dont worry the spanish are also very friendly and welcoming.
Old Jan 25th 2007, 10:03 am
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

Just a thought.

As there are quite a few expats in your area's why not start your own playgroup? would keep you busy and you would meet and get to know other mums.

pwwm
Old Jan 25th 2007, 10:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Surrey to Perth and back to Surrey & Back again, Why why why
sandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to behold

Thanks all for your replys

It makes me feel so much better, I just felt that because I have been so unhappy here in Aus, I had this tunnel vision that I would not be happy anywhere but the UK in my comfort zone with all my friends and family around.
I have been feeling like the rabbit who has jumped in front of headlights,and not being able to sleep thinking about it.

Funny I was thinking that maybe I could start a toddler group or something (also have a 20mth as well as nr 4yr old)

Although not 100% sure on where we will be living but somewhere reasonably close to GIb. they seem to be the closest and the nicest, (so I have been told)

With the schools I take it they go in the morning and again in the afternoon??
What age do they start Nursery?

Thanks for all your advice,

Sandra
Old Jan 25th 2007, 4:17 pm
this is me

gallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of light

Schools
are from 9 in the morning until 2 in the afternoon and the nursery they go generally from when they can walk, I think they start school at 3 well my friends daughter did.
Honest the spanish ppl are really nice and will welcome you, they have us. We have been here a year in a month and this is home, and we left all our kids in the UK, they are grown up. I should add, but honest dont be scared if your husband is working in Gib you will soon get a circle of friends.