British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Divorcing (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/divorcing-450671/)

mitzipurr May 16th 2007 1:54 pm

Divorcing

Does anybody know if a couple who were married in the UK but have decided to divorce in Spain, if their divorce is legally recognised in other countries ie the UK.

:)

SueG May 16th 2007 3:41 pm

Re: Divorcing

Originally Posted by mitzipurr (Post 4788868)
Does anybody know if a couple who were married in the UK but have decided to divorce in Spain, if their divorce is legally recognised in other countries ie the UK.

Cant answer the question specifically but I do have friends that have married overseas and have divorced in the UK so cant see why it wont work this way round.

MnM May 16th 2007 6:20 pm

Hi mitzipurr,

Yes the divorce is legal in other countries, but they would have to take the final divorce papers (translated if they are in a foreign language) and inform the appropriate authorities in the UK (or wherever else the marriage took place).

Hope that helps,
Martha

PS...the above is subject to being legally allowed to divorce in a different country to the one you married in.

TheArmChairDetective May 18th 2007 6:50 pm

It depends if the marriage is legally recognised. (I accept you said UK marriage)
But remember those celebs who married abroad in countries were the marriage is not recognised in the uk?

Therefore the reverse must be true.

jdr May 19th 2007 6:14 am

Originally Posted by TheArmChairDetective (Post 4799356)
It depends if the marriage is legally recognised. (I accept you said UK marriage)
But remember those celebs who married abroad in countries were the marriage is not recognised in the uk?

Therefore the reverse must be true.

My celeb daughter ;) got married in Mexico and had to get special paperwork for it to be recognized in UK.

TheArmChairDetective May 19th 2007 9:06 am

Originally Posted by jdr (Post 4801128)
My celeb daughter ;) got married in Mexico and had to get special paperwork for it to be recognized in UK.

Exactly my point.:D

paddy07 May 19th 2007 9:41 am

are you splitting up then with the wife

mitzipurr May 19th 2007 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by paddy07 (Post 4801736)
are you splitting up then with the wife

NO the other way round I am afraid.:(

paddy07 May 19th 2007 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by mitzipurr (Post 4803160)
NO the other way round I am afraid.:(

Has the wife gone and got her self a new and younger model with more get up and gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooo:thumbsup:

MnM May 19th 2007 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by paddy07 (Post 4803221)
Has the wife gone and got her self a new and younger model with more get up and gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooo:thumbsup:

That wasn't very nice.....in fact, it was downright horrible.

paddy07 May 19th 2007 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by MnM (Post 4803498)
That wasn't very nice.....in fact, it was downright horrible.

just my sense of humor:thumbsup:

mitzipurr May 20th 2007 5:43 pm

Yes the grass is greener etc etc:

rugbymatt May 20th 2007 7:09 pm

Have I just read this right?!

mitzipurr May 20th 2007 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by rugbymatt (Post 4806677)
Have I just read this right?!

Yes again I repeat the grass is greener etc etc. 14 years down the pan:(

paddy07 May 20th 2007 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by mitzipurr (Post 4806820)
Yes again I repeat the grass is greener etc etc. 14 years down the pan:(

did you do the dirty ;)