Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Dividing your time between UK and Spain

Dividing your time between UK and Spain

Old Nov 19th 2014, 5:54 am
Just Joined

Hechermi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dividing your time between UK and Spain

For those who do, ie spend the winter in sunnier climes then return to uk for the summer, how do you fund it? In an ideal world id love to do this in a years time when i retire. Ill have a modest work pension which would keep me once ive paid rent for long term let every year. However id probsbly need seasonal work in uk to provide additional cash for winter abroad. Any one do this or can you recommend seasonal work in the uk that would allow me to do so?
Old Nov 19th 2014, 8:38 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dividing your time between UK and Spain

Cleverly booking RyanAir flights sans hold luggage?

Seriously though, Seasonal work: Being already in the UK, You're probably in the best position to discover the best answer to that. But "seasonal" work in Spain generally means "summer", if you can get any.

I know a few who straddle the two just as you aspire to. The most important thing is to be able to afford a static place to live in both countries, so you don't have to "move" every year, just hop on a plane and go. Depending on where you choose to park in Spain, the costs of keeping a place to live can be pretty cheap.

Also, buy yourself an old Fiesta or Golf to keep at the house in Spain so you have transportation. The rest are just recurring expenses you'd be paying anyway - food, drink, utilities, etc.

Oh, it just occurred to me, I know 2 couples who rent a small finca full time, bought an old car to keep there, share the costs and take turns living in it at various times of the year. It seems to work out for them. They aren't British though, not that that would make much difference.

Last edited by amideislas; Nov 19th 2014 at 8:59 am.
Old Nov 19th 2014, 11:12 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dividing your time between UK and Spain

winter in sunnier climes then return to uk for the summer, how do you fund it?
We have done that and find it works very well.