Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Dissertation Research - Any comments very welcome

Dissertation Research - Any comments very welcome

Old Oct 29th 2010, 6:08 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dissertation Research - Any comments very welcome

Originally Posted by licinius
I moved abroad because I'm sick of being messed with. I have a philosophy of live & let live, you don't interfere with me & I won't interfere with you. But you can't live like that in Britain. There is always some jobsworth eyeballing you hoping that you're going to drop litter or park in the wrong space. Some waster copper out to achive his daily quota of stopped motorists. You get warning letters from the council threatening fines for putting your dustbin out too early, in fact you get threatening letters from just about anyone with warnings about absolutely anything!

The UK breeds anger, it breeds resentment, what happened to all the community spirit & togetherness we hear so much about during the Blitz? Can you really imagine putting your kids on a train & asking some country bumpkin to look after them indefinitely??? How about someone knocking at your door & asking you to look after some strange kids from the East End? It just wouldn't happen today would it? How many people would try suing the RAF for damages if a Spitfire pilot was shot down & landed on their greenhouse?

That takes me to life in Spain, where the police are police, if you break the law then you're well & truely in trouble, but if you mind your own business then you have nothing to fear from anyone. I'm relaxed since moving abroad, nobody messes with me, I can just live my life in my own little comfort zone. I won't show the George Cross in Spain as I did in the UK not will I wear an England football shirt, again as I would in the UK. This is out of respect for the natives. If you are so proud of your national flag that you feel the need to fly it on your house, then why did you leave in the first place? Do us all a favour & go back!

I don't speak much Spanish & most of my friends are British, but I feel rude, ignorant & embarrassed asking a Spanisrd to speak English to help me. I was never very good at languages but I will pick it up eventually.

In summary; Life is good in Spain, life is **** in Britain!
Can't fault that.

For the OP, there is every reason under the sun why we all came here, we all do different things once we are here annd we all view the concept of returning to the UK in different ways.

Personally, I don't even want to go back in a box.
Old Oct 29th 2010, 6:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

I hope this is not turning into a "I hate the UK" thread.
Old Oct 29th 2010, 6:28 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
I hope this is not turning into a "I hate the UK" thread.
If it did, that too is grist for the OP's mill, is it not?
Old Oct 29th 2010, 6:30 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I fear that when the OP writes his essay the word bickering might appear at an early stage.
Old Oct 29th 2010, 7:08 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by HBG
I fear that when the OP writes his essay the word bickering might appear at an early stage.
Well, I was merely expressing my views on returning. Others may feel differently about where they were buried.
Old Oct 29th 2010, 7:31 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Well, I was merely expressing my views on returning. Others may feel differently about where they were buried.
My views on returning have changed constantly over the years. They can change on a daily basis. Most of my close family are in the UK, Australia and Canada. I can’t cut myself in four, so I’ve stayed here.

I sometimes worry that maybe I’ve come to Spain to escape my parental responsibilities, it’s a recurring nightmare which may have an element of truth, even though the close ones are all adults.

It’s a horrible truth I need to live with. What if I had bought that-rose covered cottage back in the UK, would they have preferred that?

I know the answer and it hurts.
Old Oct 29th 2010, 8:03 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by HBG
My views on returning have changed constantly over the years. They can change on a daily basis. Most of my close family are in the UK, Australia and Canada. I can’t cut myself in four, so I’ve stayed here.

I sometimes worry that maybe I’ve come to Spain to escape my parental responsibilities, it’s a recurring nightmare which may have an element of truth, even though the close ones are all adults.

It’s a horrible truth I need to live with. What if I had bought that-rose covered cottage back in the UK, would they have preferred that?

I know the answer and it hurts.
Don't let it. You can't live your life on what your friends or family might think/want.

We joke about having got away before they start producing granchildren and expect a free babysitting service. There's a bit of truth in that to be honest.

We reared them and set them on their way. We now figure that we are entitled to some time on our own.
Old Oct 29th 2010, 8:35 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by bil
Don't let it. You can't live your life on what your friends or family might think/want.

We joke about having got away before they start producing granchildren and expect a free babysitting service. There's a bit of truth in that to be honest.

We reared them and set them on their way. We now figure that we are entitled to some time on our own.
Of course you’re right Bil. But it doesn’t stop me thinking of some families I know where two generations live under the same roof and if there’s trouble everyone responds.

I know this is morose which is not my normal nature, God knows what brought it on, but if I got into serious trouble, I’d be ****ed with only my wife to help and she might not be up to it, for various reasons.

The Doberman that I love would probably eat me if I wasn’t able to feed him. That’s the cruel reality of life.
Old Oct 29th 2010, 9:16 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by HBG
Of course you’re right Bil. But it doesn’t stop me thinking of some families I know where two generations live under the same roof and if there’s trouble everyone responds.

I know this is morose which is not my normal nature, God knows what brought it on, but if I got into serious trouble, I’d be ****ed with only my wife to help and she might not be up to it, for various reasons.

The Doberman that I love would probably eat me if I wasn’t able to feed him. That’s the cruel reality of life.
Well, the nuclear family is great when it works, but when it doesn't.......

Don't sweat it kid. Ya gotta live the dream and not give roost to the kind of fears that will stop you having a great time here. Let's face it, you could be dead and dogfood tomorrow, or else you could still be enjoying yourself here on your 90th birthday. The fact is that it will be somewhere inbetween.

So, carpe diem et al and fill your boots!
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 9:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

licinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
I've never had of any of these warning letters that we all are supposed to receive, nor do I know of any friends, relations or neighbours that have either.
A news item this week reported that a local council has ordered the removal of 'hanging baskets' from outside somebody's home. The reason given is that they could impede emergency services from entering the property

If the hanging baskets are not removed (they've been there 11 years already) then the owners have been told they will be prosecuted.

I wonder what will be left of Britain when these tosspots have finally driven all the good people out.
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 11:17 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by licinius
A news item this week reported that a local council has ordered the removal of 'hanging baskets' from outside somebody's home. The reason given is that they could impede emergency services from entering the property

If the hanging baskets are not removed (they've been there 11 years already) then the owners have been told they will be prosecuted.

I wonder what will be left of Britain when these tosspots have finally driven all the good people out.
Complete slavish obedience to all the nasty little Hitlers out there?
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 5:21 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

wow - 6 pages & the OP hasn't been back since the day he posted...................
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 7:50 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Not surprising seeing that very little fits in with his request.

Rosemary
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 7:57 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Oddities
Not surprising seeing that very little fits in with his request.

Rosemary
well no - but he hasn't even logged on to look!!!

maybe if he joined in a bit and asked questions it would get back on track