Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

DGT issues new requirements for drivers over 65 to renew their driving licence i

DGT issues new requirements for drivers over 65 to renew their driving licence i

Old Mar 6th 2023, 1:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute
Default DGT issues new requirements for drivers over 65 to renew their driving licence i

Despite rereading this several times - I cannot understand exactly what has changed?

Everybody needs to do a psychotechnical review (no?) and everybody needs to submit the relevant forms!

What am I missing?

https://euroweeklynews.com/2023/03/0...ence-in-spain/
Old Mar 6th 2023, 4:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DGT issues new requirements for drivers over 65 to renew their driving licen

Originally Posted by spainrico
Despite rereading this several times - I cannot understand exactly what has changed?

Everybody needs to do a psychotechnical review (no?) and everybody needs to submit the relevant forms!

What am I missing?

https://euroweeklynews.com/2023/03/0...ence-in-spain/
Doesn't sound like anything has changed...
A mate of mine had to renew his licence in Jan, he is 67.
All he did was go to the IMED in Benidorm, do the 'medical' , they took a new picture and took his old licence off him.
A week or so later his temp permisso came through and a week after his renewed driving licence, cant remember if it was for 5 years or till he reached 70...

Round here every one goes to either IMED or the clinic in Callosa and renews that way... Nobody goes to the Police and never have..
Old Mar 6th 2023, 5:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DGT issues new requirements for drivers over 65 to renew their driving licen

Isn't the change that you have to renew every 2 years rather than every 5 years. Procedure hasn't changed just time limit ?
Old Mar 6th 2023, 7:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
Isn't the change that you have to renew every 2 years rather than every 5 years. Procedure hasn't changed just time limit ?
Unless its changed again the DGT website still says this.
​​​​​​https://www.dgt.es/nuestros-servicio...es-de-65-anos/

5 years for car etc.
3 years for big stuff.

But neither of the articles mentioned have any real information....
Old Mar 6th 2023, 7:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

I have recently applied for a new licence - got through the health checks OK and I am expecting to get a 5-year licence, (67 years old) awaiting its delivery.

The only thing I showed the centre was my TIE, DL and my debit card. They are doing the whole process (ie I am not going to DGT)

I also asked them about my 85-year-old friend who needs to renew next year and they said - duration depends upon his eyesight and reaction test results.
Old Mar 6th 2023, 9:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by spainrico
I have recently applied for a new licence - got through the health checks OK and I am expecting to get a 5-year licence, (67 years old) awaiting its delivery.

The only thing I showed the centre was my TIE, DL and my debit card. They are doing the whole process (ie I am not going to DGT)

I also asked them about my 85-year-old friend who needs to renew next year and they said - duration depends upon his eyesight and reaction test results.
My FIL has to renew every year as he is in his eighties and has cataracts (one has been done). There is a note on his licence saying he cannot drive at night.....
Old Mar 7th 2023, 12:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Barriej
Unless its changed again the DGT website still says this.
​​​​​​https://www.dgt.es/nuestros-servicio...es-de-65-anos/

5 years for car etc.
3 years for big stuff.

But neither of the articles mentioned have any real information....
It is just what I read maybe I'm wrong or maybe the change has not yet been brought into law. I read it was changing to 2 years for over 70 in 2023. To be honest I read it and didnt give it too much notice as my licence is due renewing in 2024 and whatever validity it shows is what I will have to comply with.
Old Mar 7th 2023, 3:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

I think it was talked about but I think there was quite a reaction against the DGT as being ageist - but I don't have links to support this apart from the link from Barriej to the DGT statement:

'Continuing driving does not depend on age, but on the state of the driver's abilities and aptitudes.
From the age of 65 and to ensure that the ability to drive remains intact, the period of validity of the driving license is reduced. (I think this means from 10 to 5 years)
What is intended in this way is to increase the frequency of medical and fitness reviews so that continuing to drive is safe for everyone.'

Old Mar 8th 2023, 9:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

This is along the lines of what I read about changes for those aged 65 and 70. As Spainrico says it may be that the system has not been fully implemented yet. https://www.healthplanspain.com/blog...ore-often.html
Old Mar 8th 2023, 1:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

I think there was a backlash against the DGT with organisations representing the 'old' saying they drive less kms and at slower speeds (typically) so why should we be penalised?

But I can't remember where I read that...
Old Mar 8th 2023, 1:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Will such rules not be set by the EU as it's a standard EU photo licence all be it issued and enforced by the DGT? This isn't a statement but genuine query.
Old Mar 9th 2023, 9:03 am
BE Forum Addict

I had a quick look and there appears to be a lot of EU standardisation for lorry drivers' licences and of course the actual layout and information on the licence but not so sure about durations and renewals for standard car drivers.