Swapping my NIE for a TIE

Swapping my NIE for a TIE

Old Jan 14th 2023, 8:07 am
Forum Regular

britishlondon30s is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Swapping my NIE for a TIE

Hi all..

Can anyone help me on this...

I've been a resident in Spain for 10 years. I work here,have my Padrón,have Spanish kids and hold a NIE. Recently my 'child benefits' in Spain have been put on hold because they said I now need the TIE to claim my Spanish benefits. They have given me ten days to get this or a paper saying I'm a legit residence holder here. Inorder to get either I need my criminal record from England. Any idea which is the correct form to apply for this on gov.com as there are a lot of options??

I'm sure I'm going to miss the ten day deadline to claim my backdated child benefits.

Can anyone help how I can obtain my criminal record certificate from the UK for the TIE and then of course I will need to translate this somewhere where I live

Thanks
​​

Old Jan 14th 2023, 8:14 am
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Swapping my NIE for a TIE

Originally Posted by britishlondon30s
Hi all..

I've been a resident in Spain for 10 years. I work here,have my Padrón,have Spanish kids and hold a NIE. Recently my 'child benefits' in Spain have been put on hold because they said I now need the TIE to claim my Spanish benefits. They have given me ten days to get this or a paper saying I'm a legit residence holder here. Inorder to get either I need my criminal record from England. Any idea which is the correct form to apply for this on gov.com as there are a lot of options??

I'm sure I'm going to miss the ten day deadline to claim my backdated child benefits.

Can anyone help how I can obtain my criminal record certificate from the UK for the TIE and then of course I will need to translate this somewhere where I live

Thanks
​​
Having an NIE number does not give you any entitlement to reside permanently in Spain. An NIE number is the equivalent to a National Insurance Number in the UK.
Did you not apply for residency in the 10 years living in Spain and do you not have a green residency card (Green credit card size)?

It will be the Green residency card that you would need to swap for the TIE.

Steve

Last edited by tebo53; Jan 14th 2023 at 8:20 am.
Old Jan 14th 2023, 8:23 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tebo53
Having an NIE number does not give you any entitlement to reside permanently in Spain. An NIE number is the equivalent to a National Insurance Number in the UK.
Did you not apply for residency in the 10 years living in Spain and do you not have a green residency card (Green credit card size)?

It will be the Green residency card that you would need to swap for the TIE.

Steve
^^ 10 years ago it was a green, A4 sheet
Old Jan 14th 2023, 9:38 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

If you hold a legitimate residency (NOT only NIE) then whilst is was advisable to obtain a TIE it is not mandatory.

To apply for a TIE use an EX23 - which I did and no proof of criminal record was required. EX23 is for existing residents to exchange from green form and NOT for new first time residency applicants.

'If you registered as a resident before 6 July 2020, you will have a green A4 certificate or credit card-sized piece of paper from Extranjeria or the police. This is still a valid residency document. You do not have to exchange this document for the new TIE. However, we and the Spanish government strongly recommend that you do.'

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-in-spain

Last edited by spainrico; Jan 14th 2023 at 9:41 am.
Old Jan 14th 2023, 10:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

In order to get either I need my criminal record from England.​​
Who has told you that, normally it would only be required for a visa application in UK and before moving to Spain.

Here a question which kinda kills two birds with one stone - have you got a Spanish driving licence as that's only possible if you have a residencia be it A4 paper or credit card size?

If not, and you do in fact drive - and on a UK licence - it may have escaped your attention that those have been invalid for use or exchange in Spain since last May.

Can't recall if there was a deadline for those entitled to formalise their residence under the WA?

Old Jan 14th 2023, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

britishlondon30s is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello everyone..

Yes I have the green card.
I have my Padrón.
I pay all my taxes here in Spain.
I also hold a Spanish driving licence.

Yet the social security are not giving me benefits as they said I need the TIE now and to get one I will need few documents and listed on the form was 'ceiminal background check' in the UK.

I'm so confused why they would hold my benefits because of this as I've also had my green card,Padrón,NIE in Spain for the last ten years
Old Jan 14th 2023, 10:44 am
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

I would get a good Gestor to deal with these idiots at the SS. (IMO)
Old Jan 14th 2023, 11:24 am
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like social security have given you the general rules for getting a TIE for all third country citizens.

Social security maintains that the green A4 paper is invalid because the UK is not an EU country. They often have interesting interpretations of the law like that to wiggle out of dealing with people.

Also, social security have nothing to do with the TIE. Exchange the green A4 paper for a TIE at a national police station then go back to social security.

The procedure is slightly different depending on the region. Try a search, maybe the procedure for your region has already been mentioned in the forum.

Last edited by DLC; Jan 14th 2023 at 11:27 am.
Old Mar 8th 2023, 2:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

How did you get on with the social security / benefits britishlondon30s? Did you get your paperwork sorted ?
Old Mar 9th 2023, 6:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Ronnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all..

Thanks
​​
What are " child benefits" in Spain? I thought that only unemployed with literally zero income were the only people who actually recieved financial help? There are certain tax reductions if you have children and a salary lower than the tax threshold but there are no direct payments to families with children unless the situation is considered serious. I would also imagine that in order to comply with the TIE you need to show you are not a burden on the state which I assume negates the need for benefits ( although 10 year residency might effect that rule). I am just curious to know ' it's not meant to be an accusation.
Old Mar 9th 2023, 6:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Ronnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everyone..

Yes I have the green card.
I have my Padrón.
I pay all my taxes here in Spain.
I also hold a Spanish driving licence.

Yet the social security are not giving me benefits as they said I need the TIE now and to get one I will need few documents and listed on the form was 'ceiminal background check' in the UK.

I'm so confused why they would hold my benefits because of this as I've also had my green card,Padrón,NIE in Spain for the last ten years
Re previous post: if you pay tax then you can't be eligible for any benefits ( even if there are some)
Old Mar 9th 2023, 3:32 pm
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

If it turns out there is a problem getting the Withdrawal Agreement TIE, there is another route to residency.

As the mother of Spanish children, most requirements to get an EU family member TIE are waived.

Residencia para Padre de Menor Español: Requisitos