Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Decent cornish pasty

Decent cornish pasty

Old Oct 30th 2010, 12:25 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Decent cornish pasty

I'm in agreement with Dick Dastardly. The Painters should set up a "Cornish Pasty" club, to meet once a month for tasting and cooking tips. In fact, as they're based in Valencia, perhaps they could do a paella as a side dish? It'd be the ultimate enemy of diets!
Old Oct 30th 2010, 1:44 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paintermujer View Post
Also its the way the pasty is sealed.

Isnt it sealed and crimped on the side in Devon. I do it this way.

In Cornwall they do it along the top.
Truely Cornish people always crimp on the side as this is traditional. A reason they originally they had meat and veg at one end and apple at the other was so that a miner, fisherman or field worker had a complete meal in one item. They held the crimped side, ate the meaty end followed by the apple end and then threw away the crimped piece as this was now dirty from their hands.

Rosemary
Old Oct 30th 2010, 1:52 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

OH has just said that pasties in the north of UK are crimped on top.

Rosemary
Old Oct 31st 2010, 8:45 am
BE Enthusiast

olivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really nice

Originally Posted by The Oddities View Post

Rosemary
From Floyd on Spain he writes...
'It struck me that empanada is to the Galicians what the pasty is to the Cornish, only flatter: a thin sandwich of shortcrust pastry stuffed with savoury goodies. Like a pasty, empanada can be very good or revoultingly bad.
Anyway, there are lots of different recepies for empanada which can be sweet savoury or both. In former times working men would carry it to their mines, factories or fields.'
The recepie, [more of a dough] Floyd published in this book is:-
15g yeast
1tsp sugar
4 tblspoons warm water
450g strong plain flour
1 tsp salt
3 tblspoons lard, melted
2 eggs lightly beaten
120ml warm milk.
It is made in the same way as bread. Make up the yeast mixture i.e. yeast sugar and water and combine with the rest of the ingredients.
kneed for 5 mins. rise for 1.5 hours, covered with a cloth. kneed for another 2or 3 mins then rise again for a further 1 hour.
It is rolled out and used at 2cm thickness and cooked for 30 mins at 180 centigrade, brushed with egg and cooked again for 15 mins.
Not tried it but intend to. Will report back.
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 4:45 pm
Just Joined

IrishRose is just really niceIrishRose is just really niceIrishRose is just really niceIrishRose is just really niceIrishRose is just really niceIrishRose is just really niceIrishRose is just really niceIrishRose is just really nice

Originally Posted by The Oddities View Post

Rosemary
I've had them in Cornwall crimped on the side and at the top, depending on which shop I bought them from. Did not matter to how they tasted, both were delicious!

Does anyone know where on the East coast from VA to Maine you can get Cornish pasties?

Love em!

I can make them, but when travelling, it would be great to be able to buy one for lunch.
Old Nov 7th 2010, 7:15 am
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by olivia View Post
From Floyd on Spain he writes...
'It struck me that empanada is to the Galicians what the pasty is to the Cornish, only flatter: a thin sandwich of shortcrust pastry stuffed with savoury goodies. Like a pasty, empanada can be very good or revoultingly bad.
Anyway, there are lots of different recepies for empanada which can be sweet savoury or both. In former times working men would carry it to their mines, factories or fields.'
The recepie, [more of a dough] Floyd published in this book is:-
15g yeast
1tsp sugar
4 tblspoons warm water
450g strong plain flour
1 tsp salt
3 tblspoons lard, melted
2 eggs lightly beaten
120ml warm milk.
It is made in the same way as bread. Make up the yeast mixture i.e. yeast sugar and water and combine with the rest of the ingredients.
kneed for 5 mins. rise for 1.5 hours, covered with a cloth. kneed for another 2or 3 mins then rise again for a further 1 hour.
It is rolled out and used at 2cm thickness and cooked for 30 mins at 180 centigrade, brushed with egg and cooked again for 15 mins.
Not tried it but intend to. Will report back.
I'd be interested in hearing your results... Sounds a bit more like bread to me. I like my pastry crispy...and preferably flaky. But Im might give it a go. But I'd have to substitute the lard for my veggie husband. My neighbours use Tulipan margerine for baking.