Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Decent cornish pasty

Decent cornish pasty

Old Oct 25th 2010, 5:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Decent cornish pasty

When I lived in Plymouth I never really wanted a pasty because they always smelt and often tasted awful when I bought them.And I rarely made them.

However, the have to make your own type lifestyle we now have I really want to try and recreate the lovely pasties that my mum and nans made.

I know they used chuck steak. What on earth is that cut in Spain?

Any ideas? And what is your idea of a decent pasty "me ansome".
Old Oct 25th 2010, 5:53 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Decent cornish pasty

Chuck steak is Aguja.

According to Wiki Cornish Pasties were traditionally made from skirt. That is Falda in Spanish.
Old Oct 25th 2010, 6:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
Chuck steak is Aguja.

According to Wiki Cornish Pasties were traditionally made from skirt. That is Falda in Spanish.
Thanks.

Yes skirt is the other meat which is used but it was always chuck steak for my nans.

Their pasties were a meal in themselves. Homemade pastry, not always loads of meat.Didnt always use turnip either. But gorgeous with loads of flavour and goodness too.

The rubbish of famous names you get now completely mar what a real pasty is like.
Old Oct 25th 2010, 6:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

olivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really nice

Originally Posted by paintermujer
When I lived in Plymouth I never really wanted a pasty because they always smelt and often tasted awful when I bought them.And I rarely made them.

However, the have to make your own type lifestyle we now have I really want to try and recreate the lovely pasties that my mum and nans made.

Hi
Great question. I am interested too.
Originally a cornish pasty would have 2 fillings a savoury meat and potato one at one end and a fruit one at the other. They were made for the lunches of the men going down the mines and offered 2 courses in one pastry case. More commonly now they are all savoury. I can't help with the filling but have experimented with shortcrust pastry in Spain.
You could go to an English shop and buy some Homepride flour [made from American wheat] and some block margarine e.g. Stork and some lard. These are the basic ingredients I would use in the U.K. for shortcrust pastry.
If you want to use Spanish flour it behaves in a very different way. I can find margarine but not block and have never found any lard or a substitute. e.g. dripping?
I have had some success with just using Spanish flour and margarine. It is tricky to handle and needs chilling well before rolling. A little more like a flan pastry.
I am also very interested to know how anyone else is making pastry from Spanish ingredients and avoiding paying over the top at an English shop for the ingredients. Paleta is the Spanish cut equivalent to Chuck steak and is from the shoulder.
Old Oct 26th 2010, 7:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

In that case you won't want to order some Ivor Dewdney's tiddy oggies by post, mi luvver!
http://www.ivordewdney.co.uk/
http://www.cornishpastyassociation.co.uk/pasties.html
Old Oct 26th 2010, 9:47 am
I believe.

Grebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud of

I have a confession, I make pasties the cheats way.
Ready made pastry from lidls, mix up minced beef or beef & pork, chopped onion, some chopped carrot (the old man doesn't like turnip) Good handful of white pepper & a bit of salt.
Wrap it up in the pastry, what ever shape it falls into wipe over with a drop of milk & bake for 20mins or so.
I would never call them cornish pasties, but they are yummy. & quick to make.

Last edited by Grebo; Oct 26th 2010 at 9:51 am.
Old Oct 26th 2010, 11:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by agoreira
In that case you won't want to order some Ivor Dewdney's tiddy oggies by post, mi luvver!
http://www.ivordewdney.co.uk/
http://www.cornishpastyassociation.co.uk/pasties.html
Certainly not. Their pasties are vile.They smell awful and repeat on you for hours after.
Old Oct 27th 2010, 9:37 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Well if you let us all know when the first batch comes out of the oven, I'm sure there will be plenty of volunteers only too glad to help out, by doing a taste testing session for you.
Old Oct 27th 2010, 12:00 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Certainly not. Their pasties are vile.They smell awful and repeat on you for hours after.
Totally agree with you about Ivor Dewdney pasties...vile is definitely the word for them.

I grew up in Plymouth and my mother and grandmother always used chuck steak for pasties. My grandson is growing up in Cornwall with a Cornish grandmother living nearby so he says that a pasty must be made with skirt. So I wonder if it is a Devon/Cornwall thing.

Rosemary
Old Oct 27th 2010, 2:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by The Oddities
Totally agree with you about Ivor Dewdney pasties...vile is definitely the word for them.

I grew up in Plymouth and my mother and grandmother always used chuck steak for pasties. My grandson is growing up in Cornwall with a Cornish grandmother living nearby so he says that a pasty must be made with skirt. So I wonder if it is a Devon/Cornwall thing.

Rosemary
Also its the way the pasty is sealed.

Isnt it sealed and crimped on the side in Devon. I do it this way.

In Cornwall they do it along the top.
Old Oct 27th 2010, 6:40 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

I seem to remember that the reason for the big crimp on a pasty is so that you can hold it with your dirty toxic hands in the mine and eat the pasty then discard the hard crimp.
Old Oct 27th 2010, 7:09 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if that pie chappie in Madrid makes Cornish pasties? I'm not going to post his web link, as the last time he got upset when us lot wondered whether his business would succeed or not.
Old Oct 27th 2010, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by olivia
If you want to use Spanish flour it behaves in a very different way. I can find margarine but not block and have never found any lard or a substitute. e.g. dripping?
Presumably you are referring to the normal Spanish flour. This is harder than UK flour so it makes reasonable bread. It doesn't make good cakes as it is not self raising flour.

You can now buy self raising flour in Spain - I saw some today in Alcampo under the Harinsa label. The only difference between plain flour and SR flour is that SR flour contains baking powder so you could "make" your own if you want to.

I have bought an equivalent to lard in Spain. It comes in a plastic sausage pack and I can't remember the exact name but it is basically pork fat - Manteca de Cerdo?
Old Oct 28th 2010, 6:27 am
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by olivia
Hi
Great question. I am interested too.
Originally a cornish pasty would have 2 fillings a savoury meat and potato one at one end and a fruit one at the other. They were made for the lunches of the men going down the mines and offered 2 courses in one pastry case. More commonly now they are all savoury. I can't help with the filling but have experimented with shortcrust pastry in Spain.
You could go to an English shop and buy some Homepride flour [made from American wheat] and some block margarine e.g. Stork and some lard. These are the basic ingredients I would use in the U.K. for shortcrust pastry.
I have had some success with just using Spanish flour and margarine. It is tricky to handle and needs chilling well before rolling. A little more like a flan pastry.
I am also very interested to know how anyone else is making pastry from Spanish ingredients and avoiding paying over the top at an English shop for the ingredients. Paleta is the Spanish cut equivalent to Chuck steak and is from the shoulder.
Ahh Pastry:-D
I believe Spanish 'dripping' is called Manteca. We can't use it because my husband is vegetarian.
The ready made pastry in Mercadona is rubbish!
Of course you could make a 50% butter 50% oil pastry! Yumm!
Anyone have any pastry recipes that work here?
Old Oct 28th 2010, 9:32 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
I have bought an equivalent to lard in Spain. It comes in a plastic sausage pack and I can't remember the exact name but it is basically pork fat - Manteca de Cerdo?
Manteca blanca, I've heard it called.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.