Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

De-Register Car

De-Register Car

Old Nov 21st 2011, 11:06 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: De-Register Car

Thanks all for your information, I think I am worrying myself unneccesarily. As long as DVLA give me something to say they are sending everything to trafico, then that should suffice.

Thanks again all.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 11:11 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scampicat
Thanks all for your information, I think I am worrying myself unneccesarily. As long as DVLA give me something to say they are sending everything to trafico, then that should suffice.

Thanks again all.
At the end of the day, all that will happen is that they will keep sending a renewal for the tax to an address you are no longer living at, and for a car reg that no longer exists. Granted, it will be annoying for the new owners, but the car will have been long gone :-)
Old Nov 21st 2011, 11:43 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks,you are quite right.

They haven't taken any car tax (direct debit) for three years anyway......
Old Jun 24th 2012, 8:51 am
Ex Expat

Just to update this thread in case it is useful to someone:

We went to DVLA in Birmingham and filled in the forms. We already had UK insurance and MOT done on the chassis number. We had to pay for the road tax and it came through the post in a few days, along with the authorisation for new number plates. We had the same number as before. There was no charge other than the road tax.

They said they had to take original documents. I do have copies if necesary.

One person said they would send the information to Trafico, another said they would not. So I don't know which is correct.

But as someone hsa said on this thread, trafico will be sending reminders to an address we no longer live at, about a car registration that does not exist, and trying to take money from a Bank Account which is closed

I hope DVLA do send the documents, and that the car gets de-registered, because I like loose ends tied up, but I don't think there is anything to worry about.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by scampicat; Jun 24th 2012 at 8:54 am.
Old Jun 24th 2012, 1:25 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scampicat
Just to update this thread in case it is useful to someone:

We went to DVLA in Birmingham and filled in the forms. We already had UK insurance and MOT done on the chassis number. We had to pay for the road tax and it came through the post in a few days, along with the authorisation for new number plates. We had the same number as before. There was no charge other than the road tax.

They said they had to take original documents. I do have copies if necesary.

One person said they would send the information to Trafico, another said they would not. So I don't know which is correct.

But as someone hsa said on this thread, trafico will be sending reminders to an address we no longer live at, about a car registration that does not exist, and trying to take money from a Bank Account which is closed

I hope DVLA do send the documents, and that the car gets de-registered, because I like loose ends tied up, but I don't think there is anything to worry about.

Hope this helps!
I did the same thing at the same place (Garretts Green, Birmingham). If the papers came back to Spain then the Spanish never acted on them. The following year I had to go to Traffico in Alzira and de register the car having received the annual tax bill
Old Jun 24th 2012, 1:29 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

the BH registered the car in Granada, then moved out to a village, where the local authority knew nothing about it, so we have had to pay the higher rate in the big city for an extra year.
But we still havent had a confirmation of the transfer.

you just have to keep banging on until they do it !!!