Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

De-Register Car

De-Register Car

Old Nov 19th 2011, 3:42 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute
Default De-Register Car

Hi there, we want to take our Spanish registered car to the UK and then put it back on UK plates as we will be staying.

Presumably we can then send all the documents to a Gestor in Spain and they will de-register it?

We don't want to use the gestor who originally transferred it onto Spanish plates.

Therefore, can anyone recommend a good gestor (preferably English-speaking) in the Granada/Motril/Almeria triangle?

PM me if you don't want to name names on the forum.

Thanks.
Old Nov 19th 2011, 3:58 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: De-Register Car

Originally Posted by scampicat
Hi there, we want to take our Spanish registered car to the UK and then put it back on UK plates as we will be staying.

Presumably we can then send all the documents to a Gestor in Spain and they will de-register it?

We don't want to use the gestor who originally transferred it onto Spanish plates.

Therefore, can anyone recommend a good gestor (preferably English-speaking) in the Granada/Motril/Almeria triangle?

PM me if you don't want to name names on the forum.

Thanks.
If you think its worth paying him. You just need to complete one form and take it to Traffico. Make sure you do it before the end of the year though, otherwise you will be paying another full years road tax

You reminded me .... I need to do mine in the next few weeks
Old Nov 19th 2011, 4:01 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
If you think its worth paying him. You just need to complete one form and take it to Traffico. Make sure you do it before the end of the year though, otherwise you will be paying another full years road tax

You reminded me .... I need to do mine in the next few weeks
Right, OK, I thought you needed to take all the original documents.

We won't be in Spain when it is done. We will probably do it around next May.

How/where would I get the form and could I send it through the post?
Old Nov 19th 2011, 4:08 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Right, OK, I thought you needed to take all the original documents.

We won't be in Spain when it is done. We will probably do it around next May.

How/where would I get the form and could I send it through the post?
These two links should help.

http://www.dgt.es/was6/portal/conten...eftraslado.pdf

http://www.dgt.es/was6/portal/conten...Castellano.pdf
Old Nov 19th 2011, 4:24 pm
Ex Expat

Thanks So Much Fred and Mitzyboy - it seems to suggest that all the original documents for the car, plus my husband's ID, plus the fee, plus the form, need to go to Trafico.

Therefore we DO need a gestor to do it, as we will not be in Spain. We can send all the documents by registered post to whoever does it for us (assuming an out-of-date residencia card coupled with the new green card wil do as ID).

If it has to be a passport, we will have to do it ourselves.

So I say again.....anyone know a good Gestor?

Last edited by scampicat; Nov 19th 2011 at 4:31 pm.
Old Nov 19th 2011, 6:23 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks So Much Fred and Mitzyboy - it seems to suggest that all the original documents for the car, plus my husband's ID, plus the fee, plus the form, need to go to Trafico.

Therefore we DO need a gestor to do it, as we will not be in Spain. We can send all the documents by registered post to whoever does it for us (assuming an out-of-date residencia card coupled with the new green card wil do as ID).

If it has to be a passport, we will have to do it ourselves.

So I say again.....anyone know a good Gestor?
Good luck with the original docs! You'll find that when you register it in the UK the DVLA will take the original docs from you. They tell you that they will send the docs back to the Spanish Authorities in due course. So you will need to get duplicates for the spanish authorities, for which you have to pay the DVLA :-)
Old Nov 20th 2011, 6:27 am
Ex Expat

The DVLA will not be keeping the original docs if I have anything to do with it. I'll go to the office myself and they can SEE the original docs, photocopy them and then give them back to me, then I can use them in Spain, as I'm sure trafico will NEVER accept copies in a month of Sundays.

This MUST have been done before thousands of times, how do other people do it?

Why does it have to be so complicated?

Thanks for your reply.
Old Nov 20th 2011, 12:43 pm
Senior Moment

The DVLA will not be keeping the original docs if I have anything to do with it. I'll go to the office myself and they can SEE the original docs, photocopy them and then give them back to me, then I can use them in Spain, as I'm sure trafico will NEVER accept copies in a month of Sundays.

This MUST have been done before thousands of times, how do other people do it?

Why does it have to be so complicated?

Thanks for your reply.
I did go to the DVLA office in Birmingham. They insist on taking the original documents because they have to send them back to Spain as part of the agreement. I got around it when I eventually realised that the Spanish were likely to ask for them by getting copies sent to me by DVLA, but iirc they charged £10 for doing it.
Old Nov 20th 2011, 2:06 pm
Ex Expat

I did go to the DVLA office in Birmingham. They insist on taking the original documents because they have to send them back to Spain as part of the agreement. I got around it when I eventually realised that the Spanish were likely to ask for them by getting copies sent to me by DVLA, but iirc they charged £10 for doing it.
Did the Spanish Trafico accept copy documents? Or is the car de-registered when they receive the original documents from DVLA?

Last edited by scampicat; Nov 20th 2011 at 2:08 pm.
Old Nov 20th 2011, 2:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

I have completed this recently and asked DVLA for and received the original Spanish docs back after I sent them the Trafico instructions stating that they require the originals from me with my baja.
DVLA took a copy which they said they will send to Spain.
It cost me nothing.
Old Nov 20th 2011, 3:01 pm
Ex Expat

Originally Posted by whitelinen
I have completed this recently and asked DVLA for and received the original Spanish docs back after I sent them the Trafico instructions stating that they require the originals from me with my baja.
DVLA took a copy which they said they will send to Spain.
It cost me nothing.
Thank you, this is what I was hoping they would do.

The Birmingham DVLA is my nearest too, I will have to insist they give me the originals back.. They can surely attest that they have seen the original documents.
Old Nov 20th 2011, 7:19 pm
Senior Moment

Thank you, this is what I was hoping they would do.

The Birmingham DVLA is my nearest too, I will have to insist they give me the originals back.. They can surely attest that they have seen the original documents.
Well, thats one that did and one that didnt, so you have a 50 / 50 chance
Old Nov 20th 2011, 7:55 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

We re-registered our car at the DVLA in Manchester and they took care of everything and didn't charge any extra.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 2:46 am
Ex Expat

Thanks all again. Will try it at Birmingham.

What do you mean by 'everything' Lionda? Did you still have to go to Trafico or did the DVLA do that too? We can always go to Manchester if necessary, lol!
Old Nov 21st 2011, 10:25 am
Senior Moment

Thanks all again. Will try it at Birmingham.

What do you mean by 'everything' Lionda? Did you still have to go to Trafico or did the DVLA do that too? We can always go to Manchester if necessary, lol!
You simply fill in the registration form. If the registration you originally had on the car is available you can re register it. I got the same number I had 5 years ago.
At Birmingham there is a "sifting" queue. It's usually a half hours wait or so, but they have someone there who knows all about foreign car re registraions. He checked the form, and the documents we had. We applied and paid for the tax disc, and that was sent to us about a week later. You WILL need the car MOT'd before you go. Sometimes they might ask to inspect the car, but not always. The MOT will be done on the chassis number, as you probably wont haver a reg no. Iirc we got the insurance on chassis no as well, so when we went to DVLA we had all the Spanish docs, the insurance cover note and the MOT certificate.

It took less than 10 minutes after we got through the queus, but I would advise getting the form before you go there and filling most of it in to avoid delays

As for Traffico, DVLA say that they will send the documentation back to traffico, but they dont do it immediately. They do it in batches every month or so.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.