Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Data roaming gone this morning?

Data roaming gone this morning?

Old Dec 31st 2020, 12:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute
Default Data roaming gone this morning?

been using a superdrug data/voice contract for many months roaming without issue.
but this morning no internet at all, removed sim put in different phone but same.....it says all of the local servers are Forbidden !!
superdrug uses the 3 network in the UK so cant understand why this has happened, anyone else same problem?
Old Dec 31st 2020, 6:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Data roaming gone this morning?

It may use the 3 network in the UK but it is the local provider who allows a connection, perhaps the 3 network and local providers have some sort of problem? Brexit comes to mind and whilst 3 will say it will continues to provide free roaming it will depend on the local operators to play their part, or not. I am only supposing though. Some others are probably in a similar situation as you and will be along.
Old Jan 1st 2021, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

bitmanev is on a distinguished road

max time you use roaming abroad finished?
Old Jan 1st 2021, 10:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond repute

While there is free roaming in EU, operators can set a restriction called fair use limit, such as maximum of 60 continuous days in EU without any UK usage.
Old Jan 2nd 2021, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

breakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wellinever
been using a superdrug data/voice contract for many months roaming without issue.
but this morning no internet at all, removed sim put in different phone but same.....it says all of the local servers are Forbidden !!
superdrug uses the 3 network in the UK so cant understand why this has happened, anyone else same problem?

It is Superdrug’s contractual agreement via Three Network with Spanish telecom operators which depends if you get Roaming or not. As there is an additional charge using Three already, and on too would be paying other operators depending where your Roam switches. Superdrug is not willing to pay it, therefore you won’t get Roaming anymore. Three, Vodafone and one other UK operator have said they won’t change their Roaming policy.

I have a 100gb data plan +30gb tether with Three, and I am limited to using 20gb Roaming in Spain.

As I normally stay under this, my Roaming remains in place. There was a period where I had to use my data plus tether for work and exceeded the limit for 3 months on the trot, having to and pay an additional £200+ on top of my regular £94 a month charge.

I had my Roaming disabled, and told I needed to ping from a real U.K telecom mast before they reenabled my Roaming data contract. I just switched off my Roaming off for a month to ensure I would be under that 20gb allowance and reenabled my Roaming again. No issues since then and Three haven’t been alerted again 😅

reference: lengthy conversations with Three and their escalation process regarding the data roaming restrictions they put in place.

My wife is Vodafone and she has never had a problem with her data. Vodafone just charge extra a day for data if she exceeds her allowance, but that’s super rare as she is normally always connected to Voda.es
Old Jan 7th 2021, 8:09 am
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

I can still get data using the Superdrug sim, the only thing that has changed is the local provider. All providers that were usable are now forbidden, with the exception of Vodafone, and that is who the phone now connects for data and voice.
Now that would not be a problem, if it were not that the signal at my house with Vodafone was not ``E``, or at best it might get UMTS, but no good for the internet .
If in a good Vodafone signal area then no problems but no good for me