Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Damage to Hire Car

Damage to Hire Car

Old Jun 20th 2011, 10:10 am
MEL & JOHN

MEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond repute
Default Damage to Hire Car

Long story but upshot is that even VERY slight damage to your vehicle and Economy (and all the others as well probably) will not refund unless you have a Police Report. Ours was a small dent, scratch and indicator cover broken (ran into by anothet shopper at la Plaza who just drove off). Did not feel it warrented police involvement and I am sure they have better things to do however Economy stress that in their T & C's it does say you must have a police report (and it does say this).

We paid for the damage direct to T Rent at Faro, paid cash as I wanted our CC slip back ...we agreed the price and got a receipt.

Advised Ins4carhire (we have an annual policy with them) who will refund but we have to have an "accident and damage report" from Travel Rent. I have emailed and asked for this and am hoping they will send me one if not we will not be refunded.

SO....any damage however small you will need a police report. Will the Police be willing to do this do you think? I would feel uncomfortable asking for this for a small private car-park knock.

Also if you are with Ins4carhire get your "accident and damage"report from the agent when you return the car as I am not sure how helpful T Rent, or the other firms,will be about sending one in retrospect....we'll see if they do or not.

Safe driving all.

Mel
Old Jun 20th 2011, 12:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

noelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Damage to Hire Car

Originally Posted by MEL & JOHN
Long story but upshot is that even VERY slight damage to your vehicle and Economy (and all the others as well probably) will not refund unless you have a Police Report. Ours was a small dent, scratch and indicator cover broken (ran into by anothet shopper at la Plaza who just drove off). Did not feel it warrented police involvement and I am sure they have better things to do however Economy stress that in their T & C's it does say you must have a police report (and it does say this).

We paid for the damage direct to T Rent at Faro, paid cash as I wanted our CC slip back ...we agreed the price and got a receipt.

Advised Ins4carhire (we have an annual policy with them) who will refund but we have to have an "accident and damage report" from Travel Rent. I have emailed and asked for this and am hoping they will send me one if not we will not be refunded.

SO....any damage however small you will need a police report. Will the Police be willing to do this do you think? I would feel uncomfortable asking for this for a small private car-park knock.

Also if you are with Ins4carhire get your "accident and damage"report from the agent when you return the car as I am not sure how helpful T Rent, or the other firms,will be about sending one in retrospect....we'll see if they do or not.

Safe driving all.

Mel
We had a rear-end shunt at some traffic lights, phoned our car hire company and asked them what to do. As we had taken out their own 'collision damage waiver' , no-one was hurt, the car was still driveable and the other driver was at fault and didn't want to take it further, they basically said 'forget about it, no worries'.

An example of paying for peace of mind (all wrong of course, but that's life!)
Old Jun 21st 2011, 7:12 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by noelrosie
We had a rear-end shunt at some traffic lights, phoned our car hire company and asked them what to do. As we had taken out their own 'collision damage waiver' , no-one was hurt, the car was still driveable and the other driver was at fault and didn't want to take it further, they basically said 'forget about it, no worries'.

An example of paying for peace of mind (all wrong of course, but that's life!)
So the moral of the story is to immediately contct the car hire company and follow their advice, and I suppose make sure you get the name of the person who advised you.

We returned a car last year and gwnuinely didnt know that there was a slight accident - must have been when we parked. The grille was pushed in. No problem I filled out a report and nothing happened and they also tore up the CC openbill

Hope you had a great trip Mel + John

Jon
Old Jun 21st 2011, 7:20 am
BE Enthusiast

teuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond repute

I had a problem with a hire car in Gran canaria. Scraped it down one of the iron bollards which the Spanish seen to put down the middle of every street. Took the car back to the hire company and that was it. I would say it pays to buy C.D.W. every time, I do! They could also block the excess on your credit card. I heard of it happening to a friend in the U.K. He was stymied, when he went into a garage to pay for petrol!
Pete
Old Jun 21st 2011, 2:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud of

Safe driving all.

Mel
Oh Mel - what rotten luck! Like you we have relied on Economycarhire to be exactly what they say - stress free as you are covered. We, on the whole have been lucky. A couple of years ago I backed into a concrete pillar in Tavira Plaza. I rang Economycarhire and told them and they said it was OK we were covered. This was echoed by the hire car company and so we had nothing to do or pay.

In the last year or so I have noticed ECH have introduced an extra cover for tyres, windscreens and locks, but I have not bothered to take this out as like you I have insurance4carhire insurance. Earlier this year I had tyre blow out having hit a sharp kerb. I tried to get the hire car AA to come out to no avail (would not come out for a tyre - they said not common practice in Portugal and I had a spare tyre!). I could not find the spare tyre and having had neck surgery in the last year could not change a week anyway. I was on my own and so limped back 10 miles to my apartment where a kind neighbour found the spare under the car, replaced my tyre and put the damaged one back underneath. I then took the car back to Faro where they were totally unapologetic for not sending anyone out and charged me 300 euros for the tyre! I asked for a damage report and they refused to do anything other than hand write on my contract 'tyre damage' and point to the bill of 300 euros. I complained to Ecomonycarhire about the treatment and although they were apologetic and said the company were not using this company anymore there was little they could do. They said I should have called them when I was stranded in the middle of nowhere - in fact I had tried and could not get through - dodgy network coverage although I did manage to get through to my other half (great party piece telling friends that his missus called him at work to tell him that she had broken down in the middle of the Portuguese countryside!) When I claimed off insurance4carhire I had to go through all this in detail and I said there was no way this car hire company were going to provide any further information. I indicated they could call ECH who were aware of the situation. In the end they paid up.

It is a hassle hiring cars but for the few weeks we are there it is just not worth buying one of our own. What would work is if there was a way of setting up a car share arrangement - perhaps half a dozen of us who jointly bought a car and shared it. I had heard that it is the car that is insured rather than the driver so it could work out. For those of you on CE this really ought to be possible although there will always be some clashes I suppose. As we are in Portugal I have used trains and buses recently and maybe increasingly will do so more often because we are now finding that the most difficult and expensive part of our trips over is the car aspect. Particularly in July/August and it is almost cheaper to use taxis.

Coming back to carhire it is clear that you must call the agent straight away as you can always refer to what they said at the time if there is a problem.

Hope you sort your problem out Mel and get your money back - that is why we have these policies after all (and pay companies like Economycarhire more than the going rate)
Old Jun 21st 2011, 3:00 pm
MEL & JOHN

MEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond repute

Crikey, you had one hell of an experience !! That is such a shame and does mar what should be a lovely time...not the sort of memories you want!

I will certainly make sure I always have all the doc's and contact numbers with me now so I can call straight away but as you say IF you can get through. I would still be very reluctant to call the police for their report. Suppose you would have to call at the police station as soon as possible IF the car is OK to drive. That brings up another problem as reading through the Travel Rent T & C's who ECH placed us with I realise that, although there is no charge for cross border travel and the insurance cover is there, they would not send a break-down vehicle to pick you up in Spain so who would we contact ? Anybody know ? Could be a good contact number to have in your phone. Would Ins4carhire pay for that I wonder?

Off track but I do have a contact for a person who can fix any TV problems for you when in Spain, he was very helpful to us as John was desperate to watch some motor sports (I can't even remember what it was). I will put it on another thread if anybody want the name and number......he can't pick up broken down cars though !!
Old Jun 27th 2011, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

Woodzie has a brilliant futureWoodzie has a brilliant futureWoodzie has a brilliant futureWoodzie has a brilliant futureWoodzie has a brilliant futureWoodzie has a brilliant futureWoodzie has a brilliant future

We have been using Zit autos for years because we are happy with them. Its a little strange as we pay cash on arrival, in the terminal, but they don't have a booth, then we collect the car from the car park. We pay for excess cover but I still think very reasonable. Just paid 80 euros for 4 days family car. We can go as far as Seville for no extra charge. Had to put them to the test once as we couldn't start the car. They arranged to bring us another car within the hour, no quibble. As it happened we got it started and didn't have another problem, but that little test gave us peace of mind.

Kim
Old Jun 27th 2011, 3:28 pm
MEL & JOHN

That's very good Kim especially as I notice that Travel Rent do not provide that type of assistance when in Spain.

Worth knowing

Mel
Old Jul 1st 2011, 5:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Steve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really nice

Safe driving all.

Mel
So glad you posted this Mel.

We went to the beach at Isla Cristina and were there for about 6 hours. When we got back to the car, which we had parked under the pine trees with about 30-40 others we were surprised to find some dirt and leaves on the front passenger seat. On closer inspection it turned out that the front quarter light window had been smashed. Goodness knows how or why - there was no other damage to the car (thankfully). Smashing this tiny window did not afford full access to the car and there was nothing left in it to steal.

However, remembering your post we toiled into Isla Cristina to look for the local police station where the police were very patient (with our halting Spanish skills), friendly and helpful. We had to go back this morning to get the incident number and then go back to Faro to have the car replaced. Not what we really wanted to do on a hot and humid day.

We had to pay the glass excess but have been assured that we should get this payment back under the terms of our separate insurance so thank you as we would not have thought to go to the police to get a report for such a small incident. It was however, the first thing the rental company asked for when we got to Faro.

BTW, does anyone else have problems driving in Isla Cristina? It is laid out on a grid system but there are no white lines indicating who should give way to whom at any of the crossroads. It's like dicing with death!
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 2:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Steve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really nice

.......there are no white lines indicating who should give way to whom at any of the crossroads. It's like dicing with death!

You told me it was my driving!!!![/QUOTE]
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

-cordoba- is an unknown quantity at this point

In Spain if there's no other indication one SHOULD yield to the vehicle on the right at crossroads...but that's in theory.
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 2:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by -cordoba-
In Spain if there's no other indication one SHOULD yield to the vehicle on the right at crossroads...but that's in theory.
Well that's good to know for the future. Many thanks
Old Jul 9th 2011, 9:11 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Crikey, you had one hell of an experience !! That is such a shame and does mar what should be a lovely time...not the sort of memories you want!

I will certainly make sure I always have all the doc's and contact numbers with me now so I can call straight away but as you say IF you can get through. I would still be very reluctant to call the police for their report. Suppose you would have to call at the police station as soon as possible IF the car is OK to drive. That brings up another problem as reading through the Travel Rent T & C's who ECH placed us with I realise that, although there is no charge for cross border travel and the insurance cover is there, they would not send a break-down vehicle to pick you up in Spain so who would we contact ? Anybody know ? Could be a good contact number to have in your phone. Would Ins4carhire pay for that I wonder?

Off track but I do have a contact for a person who can fix any TV problems for you when in Spain, he was very helpful to us as John was desperate to watch some motor sports (I can't even remember what it was). I will put it on another thread if anybody want the name and number......he can't pick up broken down cars though !!
Hi Mel

I used to have insurance4car hire and used it once to great benefit when we hired a car WITHOUT all the insurances. The purchase of the policy was cheaper than the extras.... AND lasted a year.

Ive cancelled it though because I simply cant get a reasonable car hire without insurances anymore. The company I used before must have had a special deal as their prices w/o insurances are now high.

So you get CDW included these days, which the policy covers.

So the question is "is it still worth it to buy it for those much smaller items not covered, as opposed to the whole package of CDW etc?"

I dont know - reading some of this it might be still worth it - but the justification to have it when the 'big one' CDW is already covered is much less.

Also youre covered (I think) for 30 days if you stay more than 30 days , eg 40 days, they tell you to arrange back-to-back cover of e.g 20+20 days. Which not all car hire companies will do easily (I suspect - havent tried)

Still undecided if its worth it.... sure it is if there is a problem.... but so far we havent had one ... can't decide. Obviously, Mel youve decided to keep the insurance for those 'smaller' items not covered in the car rental contract

Thanks
Jon
Old Jul 9th 2011, 1:32 pm
BE Positive

Just booked our next trip: There was a significant difference this time - bigger than any Ive seen before between going to Faro and Seville.

The flights were cheaper to Seville - by a reasonable margin for us (On more than 1 carrier) - and the car rental was a fair amount cheaper as well.

So we booked that and 'saved' a bit of dosh.

The only thing is the Spanish rental contract needs a bit of reading. Small print. In order to get more money from you - you pay for a full tank - at charges that are higher than pump prices.... and they tell you to return empty.

A bit of a con as far as Im concerned.... more money up front and normally a tank that is not fully empty - on return! And do you think the tank is 'really' full when you get it?

But overall we saved a significant enough amount (in the hundreds) to warrant the extra journey time SVQ - CE... and got a car from an airport rental desk. That can save time.... perhaps make up for the extra journey...

So worth paying the rental fuel overhead - which I guess is about 20Euro

Only problem now is the new tolls in Portugal

Jon
Old Jul 13th 2011, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

Woodzie has a brilliant futureWoodzie has a brilliant futureWoodzie has a brilliant futureWoodzie has a brilliant futureWoodzie has a brilliant futureWoodzie has a brilliant futureWoodzie has a brilliant future

Hi Jon

I have just experienced the same thing with the fuel when hiring in Spain. I was a bit miffed to start with but as you say, overall the cost is still cheaper. Hugs to you both. x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.