Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Damage to Hire Car

Damage to Hire Car

Old Jul 25th 2011, 10:31 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Damage to Hire Car

Wow today I checked my car rental website and they have published lower fares.

We had already saved several hundred in car hire by going to Seville and also a much cheaper flight, now for exactly the same car we had booked before - I amended my booking and got a refund of 102 quid!

Its a huge difference to going to Portugal and Ill gladly pay the rip off price for the fuel - for these savings...

Its always worth checking again before coming out for car hire - as amendment charges are small, or in my case zero.....

Jon
Old Jul 25th 2011, 10:46 am
BE Enthusiast

noelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
Wow today I checked my car rental website and they have published lower fares.

We had already saved several hundred in car hire by going to Seville and also a much cheaper flight, now for exactly the same car we had booked before - I amended my booking and got a refund of 102 quid!

Its a huge difference to going to Portugal and Ill gladly pay the rip off price for the fuel - for these savings...

Its always worth checking again before coming out for car hire - as amendment charges are small, or in my case zero.....

Jon
We had exactly the same - flew out to Alicante on 11th July. I'd booked with DoYouSpain and was booked to hire with Centauro at over 400€ for two weeks. Re-booked with CarJet who used Advantage (cheap offshoot of Hertz) and they came in with a base price of 270€. Had read a few things about Advantage on other sites and was slightly anxious about what we would get, but at Alicante it was a very professional operation and we got a Skoda Fabia with 16,000 km on the clock and a reflective jacket in the glove-box(!)
Well worth booking in advance for busy periods then checking just before you travel to see if you can get a better deal!
Old Jul 26th 2011, 7:46 am
MEL & JOHN

MEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
Hi Mel

I used to have insurance4car hire and used it once to great benefit when we hired a car WITHOUT all the insurances. The purchase of the policy was cheaper than the extras.... AND lasted a year.

Ive cancelled it though because I simply cant get a reasonable car hire without insurances anymore. The company I used before must have had a special deal as their prices w/o insurances are now high.

So you get CDW included these days, which the policy covers.

So the question is "is it still worth it to buy it for those much smaller items not covered, as opposed to the whole package of CDW etc?"

I dont know - reading some of this it might be still worth it - but the justification to have it when the 'big one' CDW is already covered is much less.

Also youre covered (I think) for 30 days if you stay more than 30 days , eg 40 days, they tell you to arrange back-to-back cover of e.g 20+20 days. Which not all car hire companies will do easily (I suspect - havent tried)

Still undecided if its worth it.... sure it is if there is a problem.... but so far we havent had one ... can't decide. Obviously, Mel youve decided to keep the insurance for those 'smaller' items not covered in the car rental contract

Thanks
Jon
Thanks for this info Jon and the Seville options; think we will do that for next year certainly.

Just to let those interested know that Ins4carhire were very helpful and have refunded us the money we paid for the damage to the car so worth having.

Best Regards all

Mel