Cycling

Old Jul 17th 2012, 8:11 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cycling

Isn't it great to see two Brits doing so well in the Tour de France? By all accounts Bradley Wiggins is a decent sort, and it's great to see an Englishman challenging for the top in what must be one of the the hardest sports around. I know I'll never see an England team win a major football tournament, and I doubt I'll ever see an Englishman win the Wimbledon singles, but it's great to see Wiggins having a go.

More on his "gentlemanly" side
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/18849505

The 14th stage of the Tour de France was hit by saboteurs who threw tacks onto the road and left 30 riders suffering punctures.
Race leader Bradley Wiggins was praised by organisers for "fair play" after halting competitive racing following the incident on the final climb.

Wiggins slowed the pace to allow defending champion Cadel Evans to return to the group.
He said: "I thought it was the honourable thing to do."
Old Jul 17th 2012, 8:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cycling

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Isn't it great to see two Brits doing so well in the Tour de France? By all accounts Bradley Wiggins is a decent sort, and it's great to see an Englishman challenging for the top in what must be one of the the hardest sports around. I know I'll never see an England team win a major football tournament, and I doubt I'll ever see an Englishman win the Wimbledon singles, but it's great to see Wiggins having a go.

More on his "gentlemanly" side
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/18849505
I know nothing about cycling but my OH, who does, and follows the Tour de France every day every year () tells me it's part of the accepted code in cycling that if some mishap befalls another competitor, they slow down to allow them to catch up. I said "but I thought it was a race, they don't do that in F1 or the Grand National if somebody crashes or falls off" but apparently that just shows how little I know.

He is also fond of saying that those nancy boy footballers who complain they are tired in the second half of a 90 minute game, and get paid about £1M per second, should be made to try riding the Tour de France.
Old Jul 17th 2012, 9:07 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

OH follows it too. Worth watching for the wonderful scenery
Old Jul 17th 2012, 9:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing gentlemanly about being tied to a drip every night for a month

Funny that noone was calling the sport gentlemanly when the Spanish were dominating the competition
Old Jul 17th 2012, 9:46 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
Nothing gentlemanly about being tied to a drip every night for a month

Funny that noone was calling the sport gentlemanly when the Spanish were dominating the competition
No-one has called the sport gentlemanly here - only Bradley Wiggins.

The reason that no-one called the sport gentlemanly when the Spanish were dominating the competition was probably because Contador was a drug taking cheat.

OOps, just noticed the winky smiley - you were obviously being ironic.
Old Jul 17th 2012, 11:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato

The reason that no-one called the sport gentlemanly when the Spanish were dominating the competition was probably because Contador was a drug taking cheat.

Actually I think Contador was innocent and has been treated terribly. The levels of the drug found in his body were a 1000 times below the levels where it could have had any effect.

Imo though, they are all taking something. Look at the court cases Lance Armstrong is going through now

Contador did exactly the same as Wiggins 2 years ago when Andy Schleck got a puncture. Nothing special about what he did, it happens all the time
Old Jul 17th 2012, 11:13 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
I know nothing about cycling but my OH, who does, and follows the Tour de France every day every year () tells me it's part of the accepted code in cycling that if some mishap befalls another competitor, they slow down to allow them to catch up. I said "but I thought it was a race, they don't do that in F1 or the Grand National if somebody crashes or falls off" but apparently that just shows how little I know.

He is also fond of saying that those nancy boy footballers who complain they are tired in the second half of a 90 minute game, and get paid about £1M per second, should be made to try riding the Tour de France.
Your OH makes some interesting points,but I think he's trying to compare apples with pairs.
The tour de france lasts many days,so if they all settle for even steven on one particular day in the name of sportsmanship,it need not have any major influence on the event as a whole.
The other events mentioned are all over in a couple of hours or much less normally,so brief stops or disruptions are much more critical,

Even so if a bad accident or serious incident occurs in F1 then the race is either stopped or everyone is brought back together behind the safety car.
If a player appears injured on a football pitch, a player from the opposing side often stops the game by putting the ball out of play. In turn the ball will sportingly be returned to that side on resumption.
As for the G.N.well that's a totally different kettle of fish involving animals as much as people though it is generally possible to promptly attend to accidents without stopping the race.
The Tour de France maybe more of an ordeal or test of stamina, but it's their own individual choice of sport and keenness to participate.
Old Jul 17th 2012, 11:19 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Actually I think Contador was innocent and has been treated terribly. The levels of the drug found in his body were a 1000 times below the levels where it could have had any effect.

Imo though, they are all taking something. Look at the court cases Lance Armstrong is going through now

Contador did exactly the same as Wiggins 2 years ago when Andy Schleck got a puncture. Nothing special about what he did, it happens all the time
Well actually it doesn't.
Now what was the name of that guy who did take advantage of this very incident by taking off on his own to win the stage ?
Old Jul 17th 2012, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Your OH makes some interesting points,but I think he's trying to compare apples with pairs.
The tour de france lasts many days,so if they all settle for even steven on one particular day in the name of sportsmanship,it need not have any major influence on the event as a whole.
The other events mentioned are all over in a couple of hours or much less normally,so brief stops or disruptions are much more critical,

Even so if a bad accident or serious incident occurs in F1 then the race is either stopped or everyone is brought back together behind the safety car.
If a player appears injured on a football pitch, a player from the opposing side often stops the game by putting the ball out of play. In turn the ball will sportingly be returned to that side on resumption.
As for the G.N.well that's a totally different kettle of fish involving animals as much as people though it is generally possible to promptly attend to accidents without stopping the race.
The Tour de France maybe more of an ordeal or test of stamina, but it's their own individual choice of sport and keenness to participate.
Comparing apples with pairs of what? And you misread my post, it wasn't my OH comparing one type of race with another, it was me, demonstrating my lamentable ignorance of the rules of cycle road races.

But I didn't really need the patronising explanation, I get enough of those at home thank you.
Old Jul 17th 2012, 5:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
Talking of sportsmanship and Spain, interesting that Cadel Evans, last years winner and affected by the tacks being thrown on the track said,
"I couldn't see two minutes in front of me so I don't know what went on in front," said Evans, who said he has already virtually boycotted racing in Spain because of two similar incidents in the past.
"For that reason I don't race in Spain very often. It's cost me a Vuelta (Tour of Spain), it's cost me other races."
Old Jul 17th 2012, 5:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Well actually it doesn't.
Now what was the name of that guy who did take advantage of this very incident by taking off on his own to win the stage ?
Wouldn't have been the Spanish rider, Sanchez? Mind you they were about 17 minutes in front.
Old Jul 17th 2012, 7:42 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Nice gesture from Indurain

http://www.as.com/english/articulo/w...sdenspo_17/Ten

British cyclist Bradley Wiggins (Sky) was very pleased with the support he received from five-time winner Miguel Indurain, who he considers to be one of the great time trialists.

The Spaniard sent Wiggins a neckscarf from the San Fermín bull run in Pamplona with the messeage: "To Bradley, with affection".

"I know that he's aware that I was a huge fan when I was a kid. We're two very similar cyclists, he was one of the great time trialists", Wiggins said during the rest day on the Tour.
Old Jul 18th 2012, 8:42 am
Not Banned (yet)

I'm liking Wiggins more and more:

Asked what winning the Tour would mean to him, Wiggins said: “It’s nice to be recognised for achieving something in life because so much of British culture is built on people being famous for not achieving anything.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/oth...c-triumph.html
Old Jul 18th 2012, 8:58 am
On the road again.

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Maybe Wiggins should try reading a few history books.

As for today's celeb culture which is similar worldwide, how many of them will be appearing in the history books in a hundred years time ?