Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

current business climate in marbella

current business climate in marbella

Old Jan 2nd 2010, 4:57 pm
Just Joined

gerardtweedie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default current business climate in marbella

I have already posted a thread about running a bar but from this post all i want to find out is how marbella has been trading over the past 2 years and what the out look is for the next two. I want to know how the current economic climate has affected tourism in marbella, where the most popular nightlife spots are and anything else that would be of any value to me regarding a move to the region

kind regards

gerry tweedie
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 10:25 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: current business climate in marbella

Julian Muñoz did ok out of it, give him a call
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 2:19 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madridboy
Julian Muñoz did ok out of it, give him a call
You have hit the nail on the head, you only make money in Spain if you are a face and grease other palms.
Old Jan 6th 2010, 8:22 am
Banned

jojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

I believe theres a TV programme on 12th Jan, with Piers Morgan visiting and looking at Marbella. Worth a look

Jo xx
Old Jan 6th 2010, 9:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to behold

I think you are wasting your time asking this question on this board. You will get a LOT of negativity. And I think 99% of negative comments are from people that have never run a business, let alone in Spain. Are there a lot of failed businesses right now in Marbella? Yes, mostly because of inexperienced owners and lack of any sort of business strategy.

But, look at the ones that are succesful and pack them in every day. Picasso's in the port in Puerto Banus is packed every night, even in the winter, while other restaurants are empty. That is one example. Then there is Terra Sana, not only is it surviving, but thriving right now in the Marbella area. They are opening new locations all over the CDS. Give people what they want, think out of the box, attract Spanish and British clientele, and they will come.
Old Jan 6th 2010, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

cajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by AdrianTO
I think you are wasting your time asking this question on this board. You will get a LOT of negativity. And I think 99% of negative comments are from people that have never run a business, let alone in Spain. Are there a lot of failed businesses right now in Marbella? Yes, mostly because of inexperienced owners and lack of any sort of business strategy.

But, look at the ones that are succesful and pack them in every day. Picasso's in the port in Puerto Banus is packed every night, even in the winter, while other restaurants are empty. That is one example. Then there is Terra Sana, not only is it surviving, but thriving right now in the Marbella area. They are opening new locations all over the CDS. Give people what they want, think out of the box, attract Spanish and British clientele, and they will come.
You will also get a lot of negativity from those of us who know what we are talking about, those of us who ran a bars in the UK successfully, then ran a bar in spain, successfully, but who still went on to lose everything. Now is not the time, any bar that is up for sale now is up for sale for a reason, not because the owner is sick or any other made up excuse. Don't do it now is my advice, the ecomony is still to shaky. If you still decide to go ahead then live in Spain for a considerable amount of time before investing in ANY business.
Old Jan 6th 2010, 9:41 pm
Banned

chulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud of

Best advise I could give is the same for investments, never spend more than you can afford to lose.

Never borrow on a business that is suffering, your just delaying and increasing the pain.

Buying a business at the moment is a good plan, there cheap and plenty of bargains, one mans pit could be another mans gold mine.

Always have a back up and constantly move, staying still and letting the good times keep rolling is another mistake.

Don't ever get attached, you should be prepared to walk away at the click of a finger.
Old Jan 6th 2010, 9:49 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chulo
Best advise I could give is the same for investments, never spend more than you can afford to lose.

Never borrow on a business that is suffering, your just delaying and increasing the pain.

Buying a business at the moment is a good plan, there cheap and plenty of bargains, one mans pit could be another mans gold mine.

Always have a back up and constantly move, staying still and letting the good times keep rolling is another mistake.

Don't ever get attached, you should be prepared to walk away at the click of a finger.
If you had been to Spain for more than a weeks holiday you would know it don`t work that way in Spain. ;-))
Old Jan 6th 2010, 9:58 pm
Banned

chulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jdr
If you had been to Spain for more than a weeks holiday you would know it don`t work that way in Spain. ;-))
I trade with businesses in Spain.

Thanks for the heads up anyway.
Old Jan 6th 2010, 10:02 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by chulo
I trade with businesses in Spain.

Thanks for the heads up anyway.
In Marbella ?

The only thing expanding in Spain total are the number of people with carboot stalls.
Old Jan 6th 2010, 10:04 pm
Banned

We deal with a few around Malaga city.
Old Jan 7th 2010, 4:14 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cajam31
You will also get a lot of negativity from those of us who know what we are talking about, those of us who ran a bars in the UK successfully, then ran a bar in spain, successfully, but who still went on to lose everything. Now is not the time, any bar that is up for sale now is up for sale for a reason, not because the owner is sick or any other made up excuse. Don't do it now is my advice, the ecomony is still to shaky. If you still decide to go ahead then live in Spain for a considerable amount of time before investing in ANY business.
and as friends of ours who own a bar say 'any bar is up for sale at the right price'

they're managing, not earning a great living and it costs them more to have a day off & stay open paying someone to run it for the day than to close once a week

if someone offered them the right price, they'd sell

and these are people who have lived here & been in the trade over 25 years, & attract local spanish & english all year round, as well as holidaymakers