Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

LPG cooker connection

LPG cooker connection

Old Jan 5th 2010, 11:23 am
  #1  
Small member
Thread Starter
 
evilroyslade's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Born in Barnsley, now in Stoke, heading to Cavafria
Posts: 82
evilroyslade is an unknown quantity at this point
Default LPG cooker connection

I have bought a Cannon LPG cooker in UK, ready for our removal to Spain. It has a standard 1/2 inch female bayonet connector socket for the LPG supply.
Will I be able to buy a flexible pipe in Spain with the appropriate male connector?
Am I right in remembering seeing that the other end of the flexible pipe in Spain goes to a regulator valve, connected directly to the LPG bottle (as opposed to a threaded socket connector inthe UK)?
Our place in Spain has space for the LPG bottle in a cupboard, inside the kitchen. Is this allowable or should the bottle be outside?
evilroyslade is offline  
Old Jan 5th 2010, 1:09 pm
  #2  
jdr
RETIRED ;-))
 
jdr's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Benalmadena Pueblo,Spain
Posts: 20,156
jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LPG cooker connection

Originally Posted by evilroyslade View Post
I have bought a Cannon LPG cooker in UK, ready for our removal to Spain. It has a standard 1/2 inch female bayonet connector socket for the LPG supply.
Will I be able to buy a flexible pipe in Spain with the appropriate male connector?
Am I right in remembering seeing that the other end of the flexible pipe in Spain goes to a regulator valve, connected directly to the LPG bottle (as opposed to a threaded socket connector inthe UK)?
Our place in Spain has space for the LPG bottle in a cupboard, inside the kitchen. Is this allowable or should the bottle be outside?
Inside is ok, you can easily buy the rubber pipe and most connections are jubilee clips. lol
jdr is offline  
Old Jan 5th 2010, 1:16 pm
  #3  
Small member
Thread Starter
 
evilroyslade's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Born in Barnsley, now in Stoke, heading to Cavafria
Posts: 82
evilroyslade is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: LPG cooker connection

A refreshingly honest, relaxed and definitely non-CORGI reply - thanks!
evilroyslade is offline  
Old Jan 5th 2010, 1:24 pm
  #4  
jdr
RETIRED ;-))
 
jdr's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Benalmadena Pueblo,Spain
Posts: 20,156
jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LPG cooker connection

Originally Posted by evilroyslade View Post
A refreshingly honest, relaxed and definitely non-CORGI reply - thanks!
Many a true word said in jest, I was a plumber/heating engineer for 40 odd years and a member of Corgi.
Corgi (although gone now I think) would shut Spain down if they were here. LOL
jdr is offline  
Old Jan 5th 2010, 1:30 pm
  #5  
Small member
Thread Starter
 
evilroyslade's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Born in Barnsley, now in Stoke, heading to Cavafria
Posts: 82
evilroyslade is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: LPG cooker connection

Actually, I had seen a few of your previous posts so figured you had that kind of background (and hoped you would respond to my post - I have come to value advice from someone with practical experience, especially when it's free!).
Joking apart, I would never take a chance with gas or electricity (different thing with water - you rarely hear of anyone drowning in their own home as a result of a poor Yorkshire joint!) but the restrictions now in UK on DIY are ridiculous.
But now confident to tackle this job when we come out - thanks again
evilroyslade is offline  
Old Jan 5th 2010, 1:37 pm
  #6  
jdr
RETIRED ;-))
 
jdr's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Benalmadena Pueblo,Spain
Posts: 20,156
jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LPG cooker connection

Originally Posted by evilroyslade View Post
Actually, I had seen a few of your previous posts so figured you had that kind of background (and hoped you would respond to my post - I have come to value advice from someone with practical experience, especially when it's free!).
Joking apart, I would never take a chance with gas or electricity (different thing with water - you rarely hear of anyone drowning in their own home as a result of a poor Yorkshire joint!) but the restrictions now in UK on DIY are ridiculous.
But now confident to tackle this job when we come out - thanks again
No probs, the tube has a date on it and should be changed before this date, the rest is just common sense really.
jdr is offline  
Old Jan 5th 2010, 5:53 pm
  #7  
Structural Surveyor
 
Hillybilly's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Sevilla/Cordoba border
Posts: 1,048
Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LPG cooker connection

Originally Posted by evilroyslade View Post
you rarely hear of anyone drowning in their own home as a result of a poor Yorkshire joint!
There's always a first time
Hillybilly is offline  
Old Jan 5th 2010, 8:13 pm
  #8  
bil
Banned
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Vejer de la Fra., Cadiz
Posts: 7,653
bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LPG cooker connection

I got my CORGI a couple of times and each time figured it wasn't worth having the *rseache for the small amount of extra work it got me.

Practical knowledge and commonsense is always valuable.
bil is offline  
Old Jan 5th 2010, 9:58 pm
  #9  
jdr
RETIRED ;-))
 
jdr's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Benalmadena Pueblo,Spain
Posts: 20,156
jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LPG cooker connection

It used to be free to join, till they found out they could make money out of it, then make even more and more as they split it into different categories.
The amount of courses and time lost needed to cover everything was a joke unless you was working 24/7 on gas to cover the expense.
jdr is offline  
Old Jan 6th 2010, 11:04 am
  #10  
bil
Banned
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Vejer de la Fra., Cadiz
Posts: 7,653
bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LPG cooker connection

Originally Posted by jdr View Post
It used to be free to join, till they found out they could make money out of it, then make even more and more as they split it into different categories.
The amount of courses and time lost needed to cover everything was a joke unless you was working 24/7 on gas to cover the expense.
Worst of all was the responsibility you took on.

I suddenly realised this on the very first job I went on. The chimney was blocked, and we had to remove the gas fire. To do that we had to turn the gas off at the mains. Reconnecting was a breeze, but there gas boiler was out of the ark and the pilot light was an enormous problem to relight. Plus we were in a big house that had all the upstairs rooms converted into individual flats with gas fires. There was no way we could verify the soundness of all the pipe in the rooms, and we couldn't tell if the chimneys were functioning, blocked like the one we were dealing with or if all the gas fues had appropriate terminals as we couldn't ID which were which.

Potentialy a terrible liability.
bil is offline  
Old Jan 6th 2010, 12:13 pm
  #11  
jdr
RETIRED ;-))
 
jdr's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Benalmadena Pueblo,Spain
Posts: 20,156
jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LPG cooker connection

Originally Posted by bil View Post
Worst of all was the responsibility you took on.

I suddenly realised this on the very first job I went on. The chimney was blocked, and we had to remove the gas fire. To do that we had to turn the gas off at the mains. Reconnecting was a breeze, but there gas boiler was out of the ark and the pilot light was an enormous problem to relight. Plus we were in a big house that had all the upstairs rooms converted into individual flats with gas fires. There was no way we could verify the soundness of all the pipe in the rooms, and we couldn't tell if the chimneys were functioning, blocked like the one we were dealing with or if all the gas fues had appropriate terminals as we couldn't ID which were which.

Potentialy a terrible liability.
Especially if you have to tell an irate customer that you cannot put the fire or boiler back on cos it doesn`t meet the standards, "but you can`t do that, we have used them for years blah blah blah"
jdr is offline  
Old Jan 6th 2010, 4:27 pm
  #12  
Forum Regular
 
tawaghorne's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 85
tawaghorne is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: LPG cooker connection

Originally Posted by jdr View Post
Many a true word said in jest, I was a plumber/heating engineer for 40 odd years and a member of Corgi.
Corgi (although gone now I think) would shut Spain down if they were here. LOL
When I Retire to Spain in three years time, would it be better to bring a New LPG Boiler & Cooker from the uk and have them fitted here

Last edited by tawaghorne; Jan 6th 2010 at 4:31 pm.
tawaghorne is offline  
Old Jan 6th 2010, 6:14 pm
  #13  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Fredbargate's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Land of no recession
Posts: 10,500
Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LPG cooker connection

Originally Posted by evilroyslade View Post
I have bought a Cannon LPG cooker in UK, ready for our removal to Spain. It has a standard 1/2 inch female bayonet connector socket for the LPG supply.
Will I be able to buy a flexible pipe in Spain with the appropriate male connector?
Am I right in remembering seeing that the other end of the flexible pipe in Spain goes to a regulator valve, connected directly to the LPG bottle (as opposed to a threaded socket connector inthe UK)?
Our place in Spain has space for the LPG bottle in a cupboard, inside the kitchen. Is this allowable or should the bottle be outside?
Apart from being able to connect the bottle to the cooker another point to consider is that the cooker is jetted for the type of gas and the correct pressure.
Fredbargate is offline  
Old Jan 6th 2010, 6:54 pm
  #14  
bil
Banned
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Vejer de la Fra., Cadiz
Posts: 7,653
bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LPG cooker connection

Originally Posted by jdr View Post
Especially if you have to tell an irate customer that you cannot put the fire or boiler back on cos it doesn`t meet the standards, "but you can`t do that, we have used them for years blah blah blah"
Oh god yes. Or when we knocked off a cowl and refused to pay for a new one. We'd get 'It's been up there for twenty five years and ....'

There's a clue in there somewhere....
bil is offline  
Old Jan 7th 2010, 7:31 am
  #15  
Small member
Thread Starter
 
evilroyslade's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Born in Barnsley, now in Stoke, heading to Cavafria
Posts: 82
evilroyslade is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: LPG cooker connection

Originally Posted by tawaghorne View Post
When I Retire to Spain in three years time, would it be better to bring a New LPG Boiler & Cooker from the uk and have them fitted here
Everything like cookers, washing machines etc seem to be very expensive in Spain. If you can find one at the right money in the UK - ebay shops and Amazon are a good start - it is certainly worth shipping it out.
evilroyslade is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.