Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Currency Exchange

Wikiposts

Currency Exchange

Old Jun 20th 2012, 3:33 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Currency Exchange

Do you dye your hair blonde?
Old Jun 20th 2012, 6:32 am
Forum Regular

Lospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
I usually use Hifx who are excellent.

I used moneysupermarket recently and Halo came out as the best rate.

I am about to transfer a large sum to Spain (very brave) and I was wondering if anyone has any experience of HALO.

I know this is a slight hijack, but same theme

regards
Al
Old Jun 20th 2012, 6:43 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
Do you dye your hair blonde?
Sorry, Missile. I had you confused with Cricketman. My apologies.
Old Jun 20th 2012, 6:48 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lospacoshombre
I am about to transfer a large sum to Spain (very brave) and I was wondering if anyone has any experience of HALO.
Al
I have sent you a PM.
Old Jun 20th 2012, 7:12 am
Forum Regular

chocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Lospacoshombre
Hi
I usually use Hifx who are excellent.

I used moneysupermarket recently and Halo came out as the best rate.

I know this is a slight hijack, but same theme

regards
Al
Hi, we are in the same boat as you, about to transfer a large sum! Not sure who to trust. In the past we have used Currencies Direct, but looking at XE.com and a couple of others. Any suggestions on reliability and rates would be helpful-thanks
Old Jun 20th 2012, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

britishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond repute

Try a small amount first?
Old Jun 20th 2012, 7:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

CapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by chocaholic22
Hi, we are in the same boat as you, about to transfer a large sum! Not sure who to trust. In the past we have used Currencies Direct, but looking at XE.com and a couple of others. Any suggestions on reliability and rates would be helpful-thanks
I've used a number in the past. Now, for my monthly transfer I use CurrencyFair. I've ben using them for about a year or so, and had no problems and been very pleased with the rates. It's much better in the last couple of months because they now acccept Faster Payments, so as mentioned earlier you can transfer your money in, lock in the rate, and transfer out. I find if you book the transfer before 12pm the euros are in my account the next day. I like being able to put an order in whilst i am out and they will match in as soon as they can, and you can change it whenever you want online.

I've also used XE, and still have an account with them, but I found that they widened their margins, so the rates were worse. As an example I checked the price just now for a £1000 to Euros. With XE the rate was 1.2207 (against a mid market of 1.2377). With CurrencyFair I could have got 1.2339, so even with the €3 transfer charge about €10 more (just under 1%).

I've also tried others such as HIFX, Moneycorp etc, and the rates also look good, but when you sign up (which is the only way to get the actual rates), they're not actually the rates you get, and generally I found them to be worse than XE.
Old Jun 20th 2012, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

chocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nice

Thanks appreciate the advice.