Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Currency Exchange

Wikiposts

Currency Exchange

Old Nov 1st 2011, 9:27 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Currency Exchange

Has anyone used this http://www.currencyfair.com/our-security.jsp
Old Nov 1st 2011, 9:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Currency Exchange

Originally Posted by missile
Best stick to the high street names in my view unless its just a few grand , these amazing deals have a habit of crashing and burning
Old Nov 1st 2011, 9:59 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

That was my feeling too. On their site
regulated by Irish Financial Services
rang another warning bell for me.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 12:04 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

If you have questions about currency exchange we have a forum sponsor who have a section where you can ask questions here: http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=162
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 9:06 pm
Just Joined

wizzard2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Currency Exchange

Just checked the best rate it gives(pounds to Euros)no different from my dealer,whom i have used for five years,big difference my dealer doesnt need a wad of money in a supposed safe account.When I need euros I make one phone call agree the deal,transfer sterling to dealer account,Euros in my Spanish account following morning,and my company fully registered
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 6:00 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wizzard2
Just checked the best rate it gives(pounds to Euros)no different from my dealer,whom i have used for five years,big difference my dealer doesnt need a wad of money in a supposed safe account.When I need euros I make one phone call agree the deal,transfer sterling to dealer account,Euros in my Spanish account following morning,and my company fully registered
As Concierges for the Spanish section of BE we would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let us know if you need any further help.

Rosemary and Graham
Old Nov 5th 2011, 8:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Over the last 4 years I have used a few brokers and all have been ok, having to pay a mortgage made mistake of not fixing for a year or 2 at 1.37 but that's another story. I did find that it always seemed when i set up a monthly transfer that when it came to the date that my transfer went out the pound dropped. I then found exchange4free.co.uk where I can get an immediate online quote. I have now used them for my monthly transfer of up to £1000 without any problem and find I have managed to save quite a bit as I choose when to transfer at the better rate. I have never had any problem all done online then transfer from bank to them online. They text you to let you know transfer received, then again when they have received your sterling then again when the transfer has been sent to Spanish Account. Normally in spanish bank in 2 days. Like I say this suits me and saves a few euros by transferring when rate suits rather the pre determined date. Also transfer is free no matter amount
Old Jan 31st 2012, 3:16 am
Forum Regular

Justlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud of

Just used them to transfer funds to our new Spanish a/c.

I got a good rate and found their web-site easy to use. I will definitely be using them again.

At €3 per transaction I have no complaints whatsoever.
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

Jordan Tilley is just really niceJordan Tilley is just really niceJordan Tilley is just really niceJordan Tilley is just really niceJordan Tilley is just really niceJordan Tilley is just really niceJordan Tilley is just really niceJordan Tilley is just really niceJordan Tilley is just really nice

British Expat members are able to transfer funds with no fees. Click on the forum below for more info.

http://exchangerates.britishexpats.com/
Old Jun 18th 2012, 8:19 pm
Started off with nothing

I have taken my savings out of spain and into LTSB International. Then converted euros to GBP.

Last edited by missile; Jun 18th 2012 at 8:23 pm.
Old Jun 18th 2012, 8:43 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Just get a Santander account in GBP.

Use your debit card to extract Euros from any Santander machine in Spain.

Santander's exchange rate is within a cent of the bank rate, and there are no other fees.

Simples.
Old Jun 19th 2012, 12:58 am
Started off with nothing

You may not be aware that Santander bank has been downgraded?
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012...ng-to-withdraw
You may not be aware of the complaints from a.n.other Santander clients? http://complaintssantander.com/index.html

I chose to take my savings out of spain = simples.

Last edited by missile; Jun 19th 2012 at 1:00 am.
Old Jun 19th 2012, 1:18 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

You may not be aware that Santander bank has been downgraded?
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012...ng-to-withdraw
You may not be aware of the complaints from a.n.other Santander clients? http://complaintssantander.com/index.html

I chose to take my savings out of spain = simples.
That has nothing to do with this discussion.

Santander is now both a UK and a Spanish bank. You can have UK Santander account in Sterling. Many people in the UK do...

Basically all banks have been downgraded, and all banks have thousands of complaints from all kinds of people. Nothing new there.

The point is that Barclays, for example, will not only charge you a hefty fee for extracting Euros in Spain from your UK Barclays account in Sterling, but will also give you a terrible exchange rate.

Santander simply doesn't charge you anything to take Euros from your UK Sterling account (as long as you use a Santander machine), and gives you about the best exchange rate you can get.
Old Jun 19th 2012, 1:33 am
Forum Regular

britishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond repute

Is that with a normal Santander UK current account in Sterling and a normal debit card - I did ask a UK branch of Santander about opening a euro account but they were clueless. Be interesting to know what exchange rate you get with santander compared with the actual exchange rate (and not the complete rip-off tourist rates you get in the UK). Good info anyway.
Old Jun 19th 2012, 1:51 am
Banned

Originally Posted by britishbull
Is that with a normal Santander UK current account in Sterling and a normal debit card - I did ask a UK branch of Santander about opening a euro account but they were clueless. Be interesting to know what exchange rate you get with santander compared with the actual exchange rate (and not the complete rip-off tourist rates you get in the UK). Good info anyway.
Better to keep your money in Sterling anyway - the Euro is likely to keep falling over the long term.

Yes, a normal Santander UK account in Pounds. The exchange rate naturally varies from day to day, but with a Santander account, you get within a cent or two of the bank rate. The "tourist" rates are usually 3-7 cents lower than the daily bank rate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.