Cucarachas.

Old Sep 26th 2009, 6:56 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cucarachas.

Originally Posted by Relampago
Why? Trampas adhesivas, adhesiva trapas

The traps have a nutritious bait in the center that attracts the cockroaches. You should put these traps in the dark places, or under the sink, behind the toilet, near drainages etc etc etc. Places that you believe that frequent the cockroaches. I tell you that are very effective traps. But I advise you (and this is already a personal advice) that when you mount these traps you put on latex gloves. It is not suitable, but for simple caution, since the paste of these traps is very strong, and for minimum that something is hit, it is very annoying to remove it later

I don't put the traps in my garden. The traps is in my house, because this bait also attracts other animals as the geckos that are animal very beneficial, and I don't want to kill them
When we first moved to Spain, we lived above ground level and didn't suffer from cockroaches, but when we moved to ground level, we did. I asked a Spanish neighbour, a retired soldier, and he put me straight. I remember his advice. Protect your perimeter with the strong stuff, protect the inside with normal measures and keep a reserve for emergencies.

I now use Zum for the perimeter, Cucal for the inside, and electronic plug-ins for emergencies. God knows how the three intruders got through the other night, but they were already wobbling from the defences and laid on their backs within seconds. Not a pretty sight, though.

I don't think you get them in inland Andalucia, the winter frost kills them. But wild boar? I can taste them now.
Old Sep 26th 2009, 7:09 pm
CLR
Forum Regular

Location: Shetland/Granada Province and orginally the right side of the border.
CLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to all

Originally Posted by HBG
When we first moved to Spain, we lived above ground level and didn't suffer from cockroaches, but when we moved to ground level, we did. I asked a Spanish neighbour, a retired soldier, and he put me straight. I remember his advice. Protect your perimeter with the strong stuff, protect the inside with normal measures and keep a reserve for emergencies.

I now use Zum for the perimeter, Cucal for the inside, and electronic plug-ins for emergencies. God knows how the three intruders got through the other night, but they were already wobbling from the defences and laid on their backs within seconds. Not a pretty sight, though.

I don't think you get them in inland Andalucia, the winter frost kills them. But wild boar? I can taste them now.
Unfortunately, we do get them!

We were invaded in the summer - 1st saw a dead one by the back door and assumed it was a one off, but got a strong spray. Every night after got about 3/4. When we left in July got some really strong stuff - Christ knows how strong - but OH sprayed when we left for the airport. Never had them or seen them before, and we could not find where they were coming from

We go back soon and I am dreading it, 1st night I will look like the terminator - I am normally quite organic but "Borax" to that with these gits!
Old Sep 26th 2009, 7:23 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CLR
Unfortunately, we do get them!

We were invaded in the summer - 1st saw a dead one by the back door and assumed it was a one off, but got a strong spray. Every night after got about 3/4. When we left in July got some really strong stuff - Christ knows how strong - but OH sprayed when we left for the airport. Never had them or seen them before, and we could not find where they were coming from

We go back soon and I am dreading it, 1st night I will look like the terminator - I am normally quite organic but "Borax" to that with these gits!
Come to think of it, when I was living in Andalucia it was always above ground level. Sorry to hear of your problems. Ask your neighbours?
Old Sep 26th 2009, 8:44 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
When we first moved to Spain, we lived above ground level and didn't suffer from cockroaches, but when we moved to ground level, we did.

I have seen them walk right up the side of a six story building,no problem.
Also remember they do fly at certain times as well,especially the big ones.

I was told by people who lived up in the hills in Tenerife that they were never seen above a certain altitude,....cant recall exactly how many meters asl it was.
Apparently they have no lungs and a different way of breathing.
Although they can survive a month without food,can survive under water for up to an hour and have many times more resistance to radiation than humans, it is said that they cant survive above a certain altitude.
This couldnt be down to frost, as even in the mountains, Tenerife is milder than much of the peninsula.
I've not found anything on a web site to confirm this theory, but from what I've seen, I think there maybe something in it.
Old Sep 26th 2009, 8:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by warren d
I imagine finding a wild boar under the sink would be quite disturbing.
If it was dead I'd be chuffed, a neighbour potted a 90kg one followed by a 130kg one recently - they're quite a delicacy..... nearest I've seen is within about 40ft of the house.
Old Sep 27th 2009, 1:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Relampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG

But like I have said before, these cockroaches are a new plague. In fact, they are not originating of the European continent. The European cockroaches are different, more small, black, clumsier, and are practically invisible in summer.Good, in fact years ago I don't see none. Of 3 or 4 years ago, now aren the American cockroaches. I don't know how they appeared

Yes, it seems to be that these bugs are usually more seen at ground level. I believe that only are in the areas of Spain where the heat is more habitual as the mediterranean arch or the south of Spain, and more in summer, because now is entering the autumn and the cool. Now it is when they begin to hide, until the summer of next year. They don't support the cold

Fortunately this year I have hardly seen, if at all 1 or 2 in all the summer, but I eat I have already said, I have controlled them with adhesive traps. I recommend, at least the mark that I use. And caution when manipulating these traps, the paste is certainly strong and it is necessary to hide well, far of the mascots

It seems that these bugs are at ground level. In fact, in my apartment of the coast I have never seen none. Never. And there I don't put trap

Last edited by Relampago; Sep 27th 2009 at 1:25 am.
Old Sep 27th 2009, 7:36 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Relampago
But like I have said before, these cockroaches are a new plague. In fact, they are not originating of the European continent. The European cockroaches are different, more small, black, clumsier, and are practically invisible in summer.Good, in fact years ago I don't see none. Of 3 or 4 years ago, now aren the American cockroaches. I don't know how they appeared
Well the big ones have been around in the Canaries as long as I can remember in big numbers too,.....and visible all year round,...but it is semi-tropical there.
Maybe they got overpopulated and hopped on a budget flight to the mainland when they heard about the climate change.
On the Peninsula I also have noticed that they rarely exist in some areas,yet are in big numbers in others.
I refer here to areas at or close to sea level.
This difference cant be due to climate, as there is no geographical pattern as to where they do or dont occur.
Can only think it might be down to the strict eradication and prevention measures in some places compared to others.
Wonder if anyone has seen any, way up high in the hills, and if so at what height a.s.l.?
Old Sep 27th 2009, 9:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Econ has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
I have seen them walk right up the side of a six story building,no problem.
Also remember they do fly at certain times as well,especially the big ones.
Yes they do, I am on the fifth floor in Fuengirola and just before summer 'when they start to appear' the 'dive bombers' have been known to come in through the patio window, thankfully we have a cat who soon disposes of any that even dare to try and invade that way.

One of the things that happen in Spain is that a company or restaurant calls in the bug removal company then when they spray for the roaches they just move along to the next local or block, maybe you have heard neighbours saying, 'all these cockroaches seem to have come out of nowhere', well probably what happened was a local next door was fumigated.

Cockroaches are fairy resistant creatures that have developed over millions of years, they build resistance to pesticides quickly and can actually live for quite a while without their heads, they can also live for months without food! the saying 'breading like rabbits' would probably be more appropriate as 'breading like cockroaches'.

Last edited by Econ; Sep 27th 2009 at 10:54 am.
Old Sep 27th 2009, 10:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
<snip>
I was told by people who lived up in the hills in Tenerife that they were never seen above a certain altitude,....cant recall exactly how many meters asl it was.
<snip>
This couldnt be down to frost, as even in the mountains, Tenerife is milder than much of the peninsula.
<snip> .
I could have sworn I've driven through the snow line on Teide...? (unless memory fails again)

Originally Posted by Econ
<snip>

Cockroaches are fairy resistant creatures <snip>.
yes I know it was a typo, but it's such a wonderful one it deserved a second outing!
Old Sep 27th 2009, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Econ has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond repute

Found this at:
http://www.squidoo.com/cockroaches-facts-and-myths

Interesting facts about cockroaches
Crushed cockroaches when applied to a wound, can help ease the sting

cockroaches have white blood

Roaches primarily come out for water, not food

Cockroaches can live a month without food, but only a week without water

A roach can live a week without a head. It dies after a week due to lack of water

A cockroach that has just shed it's skin is white and has black eyes. It takes 8 hours to reproduce the skin layer.

Laboratory female roaches are able to reproduce without aid of a male. They produce all female offspring

The largest roach in the world is the largest body, Macropanesthia rhinocerus from Australia weighing in at up to 50 grams.

Cockroaches thrive in all conditions and live in the desert as well as the arctic

Most roaches have the ability to fly, but not all do.

Fried Cockroaches are common snacks in Cambodia, as are spiders and rats

Myths about roaches

There are no German Cockroaches Not true. Although even zoologists have claimed there are no German Cockroaches, studies found many of them in hot, humid conditions at the zoos.

roaches don't hibernate. This also is false, even in the Northern U.S. there are species of wild cockroaches that hibernate.

Cockroaches do not bite. False. The larger roaches have even been known to bite humans

Roaches only live in dirty homes. Wrong. Roaches live in the walls of even clean homes, they have larger colonies in less clean homes because there is a bigger food supply available.

All roaches lay several egg sacs a month. Incorrect. German roaches lay about one sac per month, but each sac can contain approximately 40 baby roaches. American roaches can lay a sac every 2-3 days, and each sac contains about 12 babies

Cockroaches are active all night. That is not exactly true. Roaches are primarily active for a 4 hour period of your household's normal "lights out" time. Although, they can be seen at other times as well.
Old Sep 27th 2009, 11:38 am
On the road again.

Originally Posted by fionamw
I could have sworn I've driven through the snow line on Teide...? (unless memory fails again:confused
Yes Teide normally gets a bit of snow close to the top, for a short while in the Winter.
However it is more than 3,700 meters high so that is to be expected.
Snow lower down is very unusual.
Hardly anyone lives above the normal snowline,apart from those in a few restaurants and a hotel at the highest point on the road.
Old Sep 27th 2009, 2:06 pm
CLR
Forum Regular

Location: Shetland/Granada Province and orginally the right side of the border.
CLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to all

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
These are tiny compared to what we have (I am not bragging about size either these crawlies are frightening). We (did) have the red ones like Relampago is speaking about.

Could be the case somebody has fumigated and they are looking for a new home. Well, they are not living with me.

I am a woman on a mission, sprays, borax, traps, and a plug in if they do one.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 3:27 pm
Just Joined

wvink is an unknown quantity at this point

Talking about drastic measures. When i was in India a few years back they sold some 'anti-cockroach blackboard chalk'. If you drew a line on the floor and they'd simply cross it, they wouldn't make it for another two minutes.

A very aggressive product. I hated those giants and drew lines whole around my appartment.