Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Crime and the crisis

Crime and the crisis

Old May 6th 2010, 5:55 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Crime and the crisis

[QUOTE=JLFS;8546461]

These have been more people from EE, which country, that is a different matter, but certain countries have a reputation (as in the UK). So maybe they unjustly get the blame. But a lot of Spanish certainly blame the EE.

The more violen robberies too, are senn to be done by EE.

THIS IS WHAT I WROTE, That a lot of crime is seen to be done by EE, by the Spanish.

[QUOTE=missile;8547497]Your opinion is more valuable than everyone else ..... because you have told us often enough. Most of the spaniards I know are more open minded than you.

[COLOR="red"]To my observation, most of the beggars in spain are hispanic, I have not seen any of EE origin shows your own predjudice.

You call me predjudiced for writing about EE but its OK for you to slag off the South Americans at every opportunity.

Talk about double standads, but of course you cant see how ironic your posts are.

Last edited by JLFS; May 6th 2010 at 6:01 pm.
Old May 6th 2010, 6:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
Your opinion is more valuable than everyone else ..... because you have told us often enough. Most of the spaniards I know are more open minded than you.

To my observation, most of the beggars in spain are hispanic, I have not seen any of EE origin shows your own predjudice.

FYI; EE is much larger than spain. They are not all criminals.
You've not looked very hard then

Almost all the beggers in Barcelona were Romanian. And now I've started to see the Romanian gypsy women with their babies begging around the Costas. You also get them in Madrid.
Old May 6th 2010, 6:19 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman

Almost all the beggers in Barcelona were Romanian. And now I've started to see the Romanian gypsy women with their babies begging around the Costas. You also get them in Madrid.
You must have been imagining it, or stoned or drunk.

According to misslie they were S Ams, you need to chack your facts.

And by the way where are the statistics to back up your wild claims.

PS you are predjudiced to boot.

Last edited by JLFS; May 6th 2010 at 6:22 pm.
Old May 6th 2010, 8:05 pm

expatasia is an unknown quantity at this point

The OP said he arrived in Madrid after a long flight from Japan. It is appropriate to ask if he looked like a tourist and thus stood out from the crowd.
I/we probably looked shattered, I can tell you that.

There were loads of 'touristy' people using the metro that evening because of the taxi strike - do they often occur? A lady informed me it was due to the deregulation of the industry and the ire it produced with the bona fide taxistas who had objected to the Juan-come-latelies treading on their patch.
Old May 6th 2010, 8:27 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

I accept what you say, those that I have observed were in the main from South America.
Old May 6th 2010, 8:32 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Can anyone remember the "deaf & dumb" guys? Haven't seen them for a couple of years. Used to frequent airport check in queues and places like torremolinos etc. Was supposedly a charity (with no details on the card0). None of the guys were deaf or dumb as we knew some of them. They were all spanish.
Old May 6th 2010, 8:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Can anyone remember the "deaf & dumb" guys? Haven't seen them for a couple of years. Used to frequent airport check in queues and places like torremolinos etc. Was supposedly a charity (with no details on the card0). None of the guys were deaf or dumb as we knew some of them. They were all spanish.
Yep I saw one of them the other day for the first time in years, sign of the times.

And yes they are Spanish. I always refuse, deaf people are quite well accounted for in Spain with charities such as once - and like you say, it is a scam anyway
Old May 6th 2010, 9:11 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=JLFSYou call me predjudiced for writing about EE but its OK for you to slag off the South Americans at every opportunity.

Talk about double standads, but of course you cant see how ironic your posts are.
[/QUOTE]
I have not slagged off anyone. I have friends who happen to be South American and others who happen to be Eastern European.

It is your wild claim linking begging to EE organised crime that I called predjudice.
JLFS> the EE are a very organised lot and have revolutionised begging
Begging has been prevalent for centuries. If you look hard enough, I am sure you will find beggars from most nationalities almost anywhere in the world. In India it is almost regarded to be a profesion. Oliver Twist is a story of an orphan who runs away from an orphanage and hooks up with a group of boys trained to be pickpockets by an elderly mentor. In your version of reality, Fagin would be an EE mafia boss
Old May 6th 2010, 9:17 pm
Banned

I have not slagged off anyone. I have friends who happen to be South American and others who happen to be Eastern European.

It is your wild claim linking begging to EE organised crime that I called predjudice.

Begging has been prevalent for centuries. If you look hard enough, I am sure you will find beggars from most nationalities almost anywhere in the world. In India it is almost regarded to be a profesion. Oliver Twist is a story of an orphan who runs away from an orphanage and hooks up with a group of boys trained to be pickpockets by an elderly mentor. In your version of reality, Fagin would be an EE mafia boss

Not far wrong there. see below

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worl...hieves-UK.html

As I said rightly or wrongly Romanians do have a bad name where this type of thing is concerned and not only in Spain.

I would like to ask why you always single out the S Americans, when the subject of begging or thieving comes up.

After reading the article, which involves raids in Romania too, I stand by what I said earlier, that these gangs have revolusionised begging in the UK.

Mutilating kidnapped children, never been done in the UK by any other nationaliy as far as I know.

If this is not organised gangs, I dont know what is, so does that make me predjudiced for saying so..

Last edited by JLFS; May 6th 2010 at 10:20 pm.
Old May 6th 2010, 10:51 pm
Started off with nothing

Originally Posted by JLFS
[/COLOR]

Not far wrong there. see below

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worl...hieves-UK.html

As I said rightly or wrongly Romanians do have a bad name where this type of thing is concerned and not only in Spain.

I would like to ask why you always single out the S Americans, when the subject of begging or thieving comes up.
That is not what you said..... Romanian is not synonymous with EE.

Please do not misquote me.
Hispanic is not synonymous with South America. Hispania was the name of Spain in Latin, so by definition Spaniards are hispanic. Hispanic includes many others of mixed race born outside spain, e.g. central america and many but not all south american countries and possibly (if their first language was spanish?) those Romanian gypsies in Barcelona.

Where have I made any reference to thieving by south americans?

Last edited by missile; May 6th 2010 at 11:17 pm.
Old May 6th 2010, 11:09 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

This whole thread beggers belief!
Old May 6th 2010, 11:48 pm

expatasia is an unknown quantity at this point

Aye, criminal what's happened to it!
Old May 7th 2010, 7:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

That is not what you said..... Romanian is not synonymous with EE.

Please do not misquote me.
Hispanic is not synonymous with South America. Hispania was the name of Spain in Latin, so by definition Spaniards are hispanic. Hispanic includes many others of mixed race born outside spain, e.g. central america and many but not all south american countries and possibly (if their first language was spanish?) those Romanian gypsies in Barcelona.

Where have I made any reference to thieving by south americans?
Yes, but Hispanic in the English language is synonymous with the US term used to describe Americans who speak Spanish, especially Mexicans.

In those terms, Spaniards are not actually Hispanic, in the stupid American racial profiling questionnaires they are meant to put "Caucasian" or "White European" while Mexicans are meant to put "Hispanic".

It's all a load of nonsense of course
Old May 7th 2010, 10:32 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

It's easy to be taken in by things that are not as obvious as they seem. I remember when Lennie Peters, the blind singer, started his career in east London.

Cockney audiences are notoriously difficult and we used to buy him his favourite drink, a gin and tonic, and place it on the bar just out of his reach, and then fell about laughing when he found it immediately. He could sing a song though.
Old May 8th 2010, 12:27 pm
Banned

Yes, but Hispanic in the English language is synonymous with the US term used to describe Americans who speak Spanish, especially Mexicans.

In those terms, Spaniards are not actually Hispanic, in the stupid American racial profiling questionnaires they are meant to put "Caucasian" or "White European" while Mexicans are meant to put "Hispanic".

It's all a load of nonsense of course
My interpretaion of the word Hispanic is the same as yours.

I would, and I am sure most folks I know would never refer to themselves as hispanish.

Of course if we are taliking about"Spanish" being the largest number of beggars and criminals, then yes of cfourse that it correct, because Spanish make up most of the population of Spain.

But then agian wouldnt the Spanish be the largest group of everything in Spain, guitar players, sleep walkers, parrot owners etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.