Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Crash Course in Spanish Culture - Lesson IV

Crash Course in Spanish Culture - Lesson IV

Old Apr 3rd 2007, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

gudes is a jewel in the roughgudes is a jewel in the roughgudes is a jewel in the roughgudes is a jewel in the roughgudes is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Crash Course in Spanish Culture - Lesson IV

I am going to lose all my karma points, earned through hard work, but this is what by textbook says:

Problem 4 - Answer:

a) WRONG! This would be right in any other situation. After all... you are a male and your destiny is to have sex with as many females as possible... while keeping the costs as low as possible. <Probably not true for females>. The very next day the lovely young lady and her burly boss show up at your place with a contract. They explain to you and your wife how you can't afford not to buy this property. She discusses with your wife how - despite her appearance - she is really underage and how some people have moles on the most extraordinary places. Within one week you have bought a property that you don't even like. You had sex... but forgot to keep the costs low. You get 2 points for being horny but you lose 5 for being stupid.

c) WRONG! Now the lovely young lady thinks of all British men as weird or ***. You have let your country down and ruined the sexual reputation of 30 million compatriots. You get no points from this answer.

d) WRONG! Your indecisiveness doesn't bode well for your future. Subtract 1 point from your score.

b) YES! This is the right approach. Often the best action is no action at all and this is one of those cases; besides, the question about "aluminosis" is a good one. You have been put through a hard test and have passed with flying colors. You have shown to have a quick mind by realizing that this was a cheap trick to sell you the property. You have, also, proved that your brain still works under heavy testosterone levels. Add 5 points to your score and up to 5 additional points if you are naturally horny.

e) PLEASE! How is calling Pepe going to help here? He doesn't deal with this type of "connections". Besides, did you do your homework in Lesson I and became acquainted with Pepe by ANY means? Good! So... what do you think is he doing right now? No doubt he is not answering your phone call.

What have we learnt today? While most people in Spain earn their living through hard work, there are plenty of characters out there that'll do anything to cheat you out of your money. In Spain a swindle is "un timo", and you can't imagine how creative some are. But, these days swindlers often wear nice suits and it's often difficult to distinguish a "timo" from "creative marketing".
Back to our problem, was this a "timo" or "marketing"? Take a look at the following statement.

<i>"Marketing consists of the strategies and tactics used to identify, create and maintain satisfying relationships with customers that result in value for both the customer and the marketer"</i>
http://www.knowthis.com/tutorials/pr...arketing/1.htm

Maybe this was marketing. For the ones of you who've chosen a... Was it satisfying? Yes?
Then it definitely was marketing.

I rest my case.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 3:04 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by gudes
I am going to lose all my karma points, earned through hard work, but this is what by textbook says:

Problem 4 - Answer:

a) WRONG! This would be right in any other situation. After all... you are a male and your destiny is to have sex with as many females as possible... while keeping the costs as low as possible. <Probably not true for females>. The very next day the lovely young lady and her burly boss show up at your place with a contract. They explain to you and your wife how you can't afford not to buy this property. She discusses with your wife how - despite her appearance - she is really underage and how some people have moles on the most extraordinary places. Within one week you have bought a property that you don't even like. You had sex... but forgot to keep the costs low. You get 2 points for being horny but you lose 5 for being stupid.

c) WRONG! Now the lovely young lady thinks of all British men as weird or ***. You have let your country down and ruined the sexual reputation of 30 million compatriots. You get no points from this answer.

d) WRONG! Your indecisiveness doesn't bode well for your future. Subtract 1 point from your score.

b) YES! This is the right approach. Often the best action is no action at all and this is one of those cases; besides, the question about "aluminosis" is a good one. You have been put through a hard test and have passed with flying colors. You have shown to have a quick mind by realizing that this was a cheap trick to sell you the property. You have, also, proved that your brain still works under heavy testosterone levels. Add 5 points to your score and up to 5 additional points if you are naturally horny.

e) PLEASE! How is calling Pepe going to help here? He doesn't deal with this type of "connections". Besides, did you do your homework in Lesson I and became acquainted with Pepe by ANY means? Good! So... what do you think is he doing right now? No doubt he is not answering your phone call.

What have we learnt today? While most people in Spain earn their living through hard work, there are plenty of characters out there that'll do anything to cheat you out of your money. In Spain a swindle is "un timo", and you can't imagine how creative some are. But, these days swindlers often wear nice suits and it's often difficult to distinguish a "timo" from "creative marketing".
Back to our problem, was this a "timo" or "marketing"? Take a look at the following statement.

<i>"Marketing consists of the strategies and tactics used to identify, create and maintain satisfying relationships with customers that result in value for both the customer and the marketer"</i>

Maybe this was marketing. For the ones of you who've chosen a... Was it satisfying? Yes?

I rest my case.

Mnm and I score 5 and we will both add an extra 5 because we are both fit and healthy ladies who like to enjoy life so that's 10 each for us. onlineamiga has 5 and and must be another 5 because he is young and we all know what the young are like. Have to go now as OH is siting waiting to go shopping...........he has just fitted 2 new showers and a shower scene and his waiting to go out, whatever I'm feeding him I'll have to stop he just never sits still......
Old Apr 4th 2007, 3:33 pm
MnM
luna~sea..its a lifestyle

MnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crispygirl
Mnm and I score 5 and we will both add an extra 5 because we are both fit and healthy ladies who like to enjoy life so that's 10 each for us.
Did we win? Do we get a prize?
Old Apr 4th 2007, 3:55 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MnM
Ask ruddy Pepe. ;-)
Old Apr 7th 2007, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

gudes is a jewel in the roughgudes is a jewel in the roughgudes is a jewel in the roughgudes is a jewel in the roughgudes is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by MnM
Hi! I'm back, with my back half ruined because of golf! Excellent work, MnM and Crispygirl. Pretty soon you'll be the masters. Congratulations! But we are not done, not yet!!! Next lesson coming soon.
Old Apr 7th 2007, 6:20 pm

Hi! I'm back, with my back half ruined because of golf! Excellent work, MnM and Crispygirl. Pretty soon you'll be the masters. Congratulations! But we are not done, not yet!!! Next lesson coming soon.

Hey gudes, sorry to hear trouble with your back, would you like me to organise a quick rub down with an oily rag, I know a young lady who works for an estate agent, Pepe said he can get her cheap if you want?
Old Apr 7th 2007, 6:30 pm
MnM
luna~sea..its a lifestyle

MnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome back gudes! Sorry to hear about your back.....but about this girl that Pepe recommends.....I hear she's good

Patiently waiting for the next lesson
Old Apr 7th 2007, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

Hey gudes, sorry to hear trouble with your back, would you like me to organise a quick rub down with an oily rag, I know a young lady who works for an estate agent, Pepe said he can get her cheap if you want?
Hi! Real estate agents! Uhm! Be careful. They are everywhere. How are you and Pepe getting along?
Old Apr 7th 2007, 7:00 pm

Hi! Real estate agents! Uhm! Be careful. They are everywhere. How are you and Pepe getting along?

Yer I'm sure she works for a real estate agent, at least I don't think his fake.

As for Pepe, well he was a little upset when I explained I could not take him to Ikea with me when I went looking for bedding but I said next time I want saucepans (see JDR definition of kama) he can come He seemed contented with that.
Old Apr 7th 2007, 9:22 pm
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute

This is question 4) of a series of tests to find out if your genes have any chances of being part of the already complicated Spanish gene pool.

We are advancing in our course and it's only logical that our problems become harder and harder. Today's problem is a tricky one, specially for men. If you are a woman just try to imagine how your husband or boyfriend would address today's problem:

4) You and your wife have been looking for a property to buy in Spain. One day you get a call on your cell phone from your real estate agency offering to show you a new property. They suggest that, please, you should come alone.
This time the agency has sent a lovely young lady. She is wearing a miniskirt and - as she shows you the house - she keeps flirting with you. You can feel the testosterone level rising. There is a folding bed in one of the rooms. She opens it up, sits down, unbuttons her shirt and invites you to sit down by her.

Question: What would you react?

a) - Since, by now, the testosterone has overtaken most of your brain, you take off your clothes and engage in unbridled sex for the rest of the afternoon. Later on, back home, you embarrass yourself with too many explanations about your long absence.

b) - You pretend you haven't heard or seen anything and ask her about any signs of "aluminosis" in the building's structure.

c) - You get offended, call her a name that rhymes with fat and leave the premises.

d) - You stay there dumbfounded for ten minutes until she gets tired.

e) - you call Pepe.

I'll give you the chance to post your answers before giving the correct one.
A obviously
Old Apr 7th 2007, 9:25 pm
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute

Isnt the age of consent in Spain lower than our 16 !!

Also the estate agent in my dream drove up to the house to let me in so must have been over the age

So i argue that 5 points for me is well earnt
Old Apr 7th 2007, 10:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond repute

Problem 4 - Answer:

I rest my case.

Yes Gudes...well done..B is the correct answer..you are learning fast..don't forget Pepe is also a fast learner.......
Old Apr 8th 2007, 10:07 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

OK a new word I heard today.. and yes I do know what it means, but it does have different meanings as well.

GILLI

Old Apr 8th 2007, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by mikelincs
OK a new word I heard today.. and yes I do know what it means, but it does have different meanings as well.

GILLI

Is that short for daft/wally, if so it's a handy word to have.
Old Apr 8th 2007, 10:42 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Is that short for daft/wally, if so it's a handy word to have.
Also used to describe the people who come over on holiday, and NO MATTER WHAT THE TEMPERATURE IS, will insist on wearing t shirts and shorts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.