Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Crash course in Spanish Culture

Crash course in Spanish Culture

Old Mar 30th 2007, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

gudes is a jewel in the roughgudes is a jewel in the roughgudes is a jewel in the roughgudes is a jewel in the roughgudes is a jewel in the rough
Default Crash course in Spanish Culture

This is a simple test to find out if your genes have any chances of being part of the already complicated Spanish gene map - let's say 3 generations down the road. It's also a free introduction to the fascinating "Spanish culture/subculture" whatever that means. Let's start:

1) Translate this sentence: "Tiene enchufe"

Answer (check one)
a) He/She/It has a plug
b) He/She has "connections"
c) Both a and b are correct answers

I'll give you the chance to post your answers before giving the correct answer. Let's play.
Old Mar 30th 2007, 3:15 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Crash course in Spanish Culture

Originally Posted by gudes
This is a simple test to find out if your genes have any chances of being part of the already complicated Spanish gene map - let's say 3 generations down the road. It's also a free introduction to the fascinating "Spanish culture/subculture" whatever that means. Let's start:

1) Translate this sentence: "Tiene enchufe"

Answer (check one)
a) He/She/It has a plug
b) He/She has "connections"
c) Both a and b are correct answers

I'll give you the chance to post your answers before giving the correct answer. Let's play.

I do hope this is not a trick question - C - have I egg on my face.
Old Mar 30th 2007, 3:20 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crispygirl
I do hope this is not a trick question - C - have I egg on my face.
A
Old Mar 30th 2007, 3:21 pm
MnM
luna~sea..its a lifestyle

MnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's "c" as well.
Old Mar 30th 2007, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

gudes is a jewel in the roughgudes is a jewel in the roughgudes is a jewel in the roughgudes is a jewel in the roughgudes is a jewel in the rough

Well, thanks to all players!... let´s see:

1) Solution: b) is the correct answer, at least 99% of the time. a) is not the correct translation: "It has a plug" would be "Tiene un enchufe". You can count "plugs" but you can´t count "connections", at least not this type. Notice that Spanish drops the pronouns. If you want to sound foreigner - you might like that - use "Ella fue a sobornar al alcalde". <She went to bribe the major>. But a local would say most of the times: "Fue a sobornar al alcalde" Notice the ambiguity with the subject of the sentence. Only context will decide if we are talking about our wife, our husband or the local - and corrupted - builder.

Yes, in Spain you do need "connections" if you want to prosper or just get things done. So start befriending Pepe, the local guy who knows how to "pull strings" and is the center of the local social life. Offer him to sleep with your wife or your husband. Whatever it takes! Never underestimate the importance of a good connection.

By the way don't ever try to bribe a policeman in Spain. That - for some strange reason I don't quite understand - is a big no no. On the other hand bribing majors or town councillors is not only acceptable but encouraged by local tradition. It happens all the time.

If you haven't passed this test don't get discouraged. No need to go back to England, not yet.

Let's move to the next question. Well... maybe tomorrow. Cheers!
Old Mar 30th 2007, 3:45 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Christ, you`re getting picky, A is the closest in translation, i didnt think we were talking about sh*gging Pepe. ;-)
Old Mar 30th 2007, 3:49 pm
MnM

MnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Christ, you`re getting picky, A is the closest in translation, i didnt think we were talking about sh*gging Pepe. ;-)
*rotflmbo*
Old Mar 30th 2007, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by jdr

So if A is the closest translation yet B was correct, I and MnM were in fact right. Where does Pepe live?
Old Mar 30th 2007, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jdr
Uhm! I wasn´t. My English level doesn´t quite get to that level of detail.
Old Mar 30th 2007, 4:00 pm
MnM

So if A is the closest translation yet B was correct, I and MnM were in fact right. Where does Pepe live?

Good question!

Is Pepe the prize? Will we have to share, or take turns?
Old Mar 30th 2007, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by MnM

Good question!

Is Pepe the prize? Will we have to share, or take turns?

me first, me first age before beauty. Will he come to us or do we have to travel
Old Mar 30th 2007, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

me first, me first age before beauty. Will he come to us or do we have to travel
Ladies, ladies! This is "serious" class. But since you asked... let me talk to Pepe and I'll get back to you.
Old Mar 30th 2007, 4:19 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by gudes
Ladies, ladies! This is "serious" class. But since you asked... let me talk to Pepe and I'll get back to you.